Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

You may have the money to spend to drink all night, but you dont have the licencing laws to be able to do so, so, bed by midnight for you as well :)

Actually, no! 

Tongpoon in Rong Mueang near MBK doesn't close until 8am. You dream about stair lifts and I'll raise a glass and cut up a rug.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

So why wasn't this law enforced in 2004, 13 years ago.

Surely there should be some in active posts arising from this.

It WAS enforced 13 years ago. I was there and quite irritated. Eventually, enforcement got lax and things went back to "normal". At the time I thought it was the end of Bangkok nightlife. In a way it was in the sense that, despite closing times gradually reverting somewhat to the norm, things were never really as fun again.

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

You dream about stair lifts and I'll raise a glass and cut up a rug.

HHHmmmm "cutting up a rug" Is that an euphemism ?

"The crowd is the same, a mix of gay and straight clubbers of all ages – local and foreign."

Well do not want to think of this- in the late eighties and nineties in London- we would never even consider going to a club that did not close at 12 noon the following day ( not midnight the same day)  maybe we were in a bit of a chemical haze- which of course here is not such a good idea.

You queued up to the guys offering their wares.

Was it is irresponsible , dangerous- in my opinion no- they were the most amazing times of my life- was the oldest raver on the planet- then the gay clubs were incredible. 

All I can say is this country is losing the plot- sometimes quite surprised we do not have a Muslim Government - they suck the fun out of life- same as the present lot in the Kingdom 

13 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Tourists on the other hand won't bother coming to Thailand, they'll just go somewhere else where nightclubs are opened to a normal time.

First of all if you go to the right clubs they will be open late.

Secondly,  you really believe all tourists come to Thailand only to drink. There is allot more to Thailand than getting 

shit faced in a bar every night.  

14 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Not just Thais. Keep Thai prices, install some pavements that allow people to walk on them and improve the air quality and tourist numbers would rocket.

Yes, I'm remodeling my house so as to make it more attractive to my in_laws so they will come to visit more often and stay longer.

I don't like them or my new house but it's more important to cater to them because they uplift me from my routines and somehow improve my life in ways I can't yet comprehend.

I will just take it on faith that it is good for me and mine. Hopefully my children will adopt their attitudes and lifestyle and be just like my visitors one day.

What??  Huh?

Its okay, us Boomers are to the age when we have had enough fun by midnight. The new generation are not nto booze the same as we

were, and they can go toke up and do their new style entertainment in their hotel rooms after midnight.  See  No Problem, Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Geezer

How terrible! It´s just to go out an hour earlier and go home sleeping when they close. Just don´t get people that are coming to a country for the reason of a nightlife. Unfortunately Thailand has become full of them. For people that can´t cope with it. Just find a place on earth where it´s open. Thailand is changing to the better.

Most of my friends and myself meet plenty of girls and do our share of drinking but 95% of the time are in bed before midnight.

It all depends what your goals are.

Some get tired of meeting a girl in a place, staying up till 2 or 3 or later, getting back to the room and it is a total bust.

You and the lady drank too much, and she turns out to be a total non performer  "can't wait to get rid of her".

Then you feel like crap the next day from lack of sleep.

Not the life or "fun" I desire.

17 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

It has not been the same for a long time. 

Even the girls who go out clubbing have gotten uglier, or maybe my standards have gotten better lol (I'm pretty sure it's the first one). A few years ago you could usually find 2 or 3 good looking girls at the clubs, but since the beginning of last year you'd be lucky to even see one. I'm talking about in BKK btw.

16 hours ago, JIMHILL said:

I believe Pattaya has special municipality status, so has flexibility in its rules & regulation

this would not surprise me as they would reinvent the situation to suit themselves anyway it's ALL about control the country is sliding and every Thai I know knows it 

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

How terrible! It´s just to go out an hour earlier and go home sleeping when they close. Just don´t get people that are coming to a country for the reason of a nightlife. Unfortunately Thailand has become full of them. For people that can´t cope with it. Just find a place on earth where it´s open. Thailand is changing to the better.

unbelievable that you support controlling people like this and you are the FIRST person (maybe DJJamie as well so that's two of you) to think thailand is changing for the 'better' go ask all those business owners, staff and tourists who have NO choice with these draconian rules if it's 'better'

23 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

unbelievable that you support controlling people like this and you are the FIRST person (maybe DJJamie as well so that's two of you) to think thailand is changing for the 'better' go ask all those business owners, staff and tourists who have NO choice with these draconian rules if it's 'better'

I also think that Thailand is changing for the better .

Its no longer a place where mid aged adults can come to go through a mid life crisis and act like 20 year olds

The Western bar owners are pimps (as are the Thai bar owners who have a a barfine system) , although they would never admit it .

Its a pleasure to see the bar owners suffering , all those padded bills , pills popped into drinks , colusion with the bar staff to rip customers off .

Think that they have a god given right to flout the laws of Thailand, just because they pay off the Police .

A front for prostitution , ripping off customers, paying off corrupt Police .

Good riddance 

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its no longer a place where mid aged adults can come to go through a mid life crisis and act like 20 year olds

Well, you still do see quite a number of oldies in the 60's or 70's who think they are cool and head to the clubs and try to act like they're in their 20's or early 30's and dance around like fools when they can't dance while trying to pick up chicks in their 20's. They stick out like sore thumbs with their grey hair and shocking dancing.

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Western bar owners are pimps (as are the Thai bar owners who have a a barfine system) , although they would never admit it .

Its a pleasure to see the bar owners suffering , all those padded bills , pills popped into drinks , colusion with the bar staff to rip customers off .

Think that they have a god given right to flout the laws of Thailand, just because they pay off the Police .

A front for prostitution , ripping off customers, paying off corrupt Police .

Good riddance 

well that's a surprise!  self-righteous to the end!  get a life and let others live theirs without your pontificating about what's 'good' for them

8 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

well that's a surprise!  self-righteous to the end!  get a life and let others live theirs without your pontificating about what's 'good' for them

Go ahead, live your life the way that you want . I can also have an opinion and state that opinion on a forum 

Just now, sanemax said:

Go ahead, live your life the way that you want . I can also have an opinion and state that opinion on a forum 

Very true I defend your right to do that but you advocate affecting other people's lives and livelihoods and THAT is the problem and you're probably against pro-choice, pro-marijuana and the rest.

My view is let people live their lives how they want to with little government control apart from obvious laws not to hurt others. If girls want to exchange their treasures for cash what business if it of yours or mine?  if people want to party after 12 what's the big deal as long as they dont disturb others?  why is it 'better' to close at 12???  just because you don't like to go there?  

Well, you still do see quite a number of oldies in the 60's or 70's who think they are cool and head to the clubs and try to act like they're in their 20's or early 30's and dance around like fools when they can't dance while trying to pick up chicks in their 20's. They stick out like sore thumbs with their grey hair and shocking dancing.

I'm probably in that bracket (except 50's not 60's) to a degree. Still enjoy clubbing , not sure about thinking I'm cool, just enjoy it , always have always will. I make no apologies.

You may be one day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I'm probably in that bracket (except 50's not 60's) to a degree. Still enjoy clubbing , not sure about thinking I'm cool, just enjoy it , always have always will. I make no apologies.

You may be one day as well.

Are you my long lost twin? :shock1:

I hope my mind never grows as old as my body.

15 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Very true I defend your right to do that but you advocate affecting other people's lives and livelihoods and THAT is the problem and you're probably against pro-choice, pro-marijuana and the rest.

My view is let people live their lives how they want to with little government control apart from obvious laws not to hurt others. If girls want to exchange their treasures for cash what business if it of yours or mine?  if people want to party after 12 what's the big deal as long as they dont disturb others?  why is it 'better' to close at 12???  just because you don't like to go there?  

But late night revelers do cause a disturbance to everyone else .

Walking around in the early hours shouting, singing and arguing and waking everyone else up . And theres the endless Tuk tuks , buzzing around all night , which do cause a disturbance when its quiet out at night .

People banging around in their condo complex , trying to get in .

I do not agree with prostitution , sex should be between two people in a long term relationship , giving poor girls bits of paper, just so you can have sex with them , seems rather untoward .

As I live in a red light area , I see guys and girls walking home every night with a different partner every night , guys walking home with a bottle of Chang in one hand a cigarette in the other and a grin on his face and the girls trying to get back to the hotel as quick as possible .

See them the next morning , stoney silence, sitting having breakfast .

12 Midday , times up , hand over the money and "see you again sometime"

Sad all round

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But late night revelers do cause a disturbance to everyone else .

Walking around in the early hours shouting, singing and arguing and waking everyone else up . And theres the endless Tuk tuks , buzzing around all night , which do cause a disturbance when its quiet out at night .

People banging around in their condo complex , trying to get in .

I do not agree with prostitution , sex should be between two people in a long term relationship , giving poor girls bits of paper, just so you can have sex with them , seems rather untoward .

As I live in a red light area , I see guys and girls walking home every night with a different partner every night , guys walking home with a bottle of Chang in one hand a cigarette in the other and a grin on his face and the girls trying to get back to the hotel as quick as possible .

See them the next morning , stoney silence, sitting having breakfast .

12 Midday , times up , hand over the money and "see you again sometime"

Sad all round

A bit of common sense goes a long way, don't live in a red light area or near the bars & clubs then you won't get disturbed by party peeps or see those hookers and their customers everyday. Live in quiet area away from the action, problem solved.

"People banging around in their condo complex , trying to get in" - don't live in a shithouse condo where losers and tourists live. Find a better quality condo where higher class peeps & peeps with more money live.

Last nite I visited some of my old haunts on Sukhumvit and Nana. I have not been in awhile. I noticed there not nearly as many people in Nana Plaza and the street itself . 

Later I walked down to Soi 7 .1 Bangkok Beat is gone,  BJ's is gone along with all the massage shops.

Bangkok is not nearly as much  fun as it was just a year or two ago.

If the government wants to stop the flow of tourists they are achieving their goal 

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

A bit of common sense goes a long way, don't live in a red light area or near the bars & clubs then you won't get disturbed by party peeps or see those hookers and their customers everyday. Live in quiet area away from the action, problem solved.

"People banging around in their condo complex , trying to get in" - don't live in a shithouse condo where losers and tourists live. Find a better quality condo where higher class peeps & peeps with more money live.

Its really OK these days .

All the bars close at midnight and its quiet all night long, no need for me to move

I didnt move previously because I was usually out there with them, causing a disturbance .

Since the bars have been closing early  , Ive stopped going out and given up drinking and now live a much healthier life , last weight and spend my money on better things, rather than pissing it all away

Patpong is still alive and well until 2 and then it shuts down.  How do I know stay in a hotel there and watch the clock.  

Why are they not closed?  They obey the laws to the letter.  They do not sere minors or drop goodies in pills, they offer the girls and you can do as you please for 4500 baht.

As a married guy here I go to the bars to have a drink explain that i am not there for a girl to go home and still get treated respectfully if not better than the average punter that gets drunk.

As to all night drinking even when I was younger that was not a big deal.

Bangkok just like a lot of places is changing.  

If you are American all you have to do is look at Times Square in NYC or Las Vegas.  Both have changed to a more family centered theme.

Toronto and the Yonge street strip have been long gone as well as the night market in Ottawa.

It fortunately or unfortunately is called progress.  Bangkok is going through the same thing.

If you look at Patpong many of the old haunts are disappearing and being replaced.

Soi Cowboy and Nana will disappear as the value of the property if the housing condo boom keeps the level it is.

It used to be that people did ot want to live near airports because of the noise and when you bought a house there you accepted it.  Then new people moved in bought the houses cheaper because of the noise and complained and had flight routes change.

Khao san is the same thing.  The older people had grown with the noise and probably made a good profit.  With the newer Metropolitan Thai they now want the excitement of Khao san but only to a point.

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Last nite I visited some of my old haunts on Sukhumvit and Nana. I have not been in awhile. I noticed there not nearly as many people in Nana Plaza and the street itself . 

Later I walked down to Soi 7 .1 Bangkok Beat is gone,  BJ's is gone along with all the massage shops.

Bangkok is not nearly as much  fun as it was just a year or two ago.

If the government wants to stop the flow of tourists they are achieving their goal 

Monday night is slower. Bj's shops on same soi but moved look for: The Wood Bar.

Archived