Of geckos and men

Brunolem

9 hours ago, Bonefish said:

Go back home to your beloved, super-clean and super-sterile homeland, and leave Thailand's wildlife alone! They don't need you, believe me .

You're "now waging total war against them"?  You may end up in jail for killing protected species, and anyway your bad karma will get back to you.

House geckos are not a protected species.

I don't believe in Karma.

To those trying to eliminate these little (and large) chaps, you're fighting a losing battle.

However, over the years we have found:-

1. Removing their food source (mozzies and other crawling things) will reduce their presence in the house.
  2. Moth balls (naphthalene balls) inside cupboards will discourage them (and anything else) from setting up home. Great for those ornamental nick-nacks, but packet foods may take on an "interesting" flavour (naphthalene flavoured pasta is "interesting" - Fail!)
  3. Moth balls in your desktop PC will keep them out, but will make the office stink of naphthalene - Fail!

Cleaning up the poo is hardly a major task unless you leave it for weeks to build up (yuk).

I also put moth balls in electrical boxes etc. They last ages and keep ants and the like out.

15 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Rather have the bugs than the gecko crap everywhere, especially in the kitchen and cupboards.

After 16 years in this house, leaving them alone, I'm now waging total war against them.

Don't forget, they only eat the mossies that they can catch that are flying near a wall. Far more that they don't catch.

Actually once I had a neighbor with roaches, unfortunately his pets came to visit my condo also....the resident gecko made short work of those nasty little creepies.

17 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Rather have the bugs than the gecko crap everywhere, especially in the kitchen and cupboards.

After 16 years in this house, leaving them alone, I'm now waging total war against them.

Don't forget, they only eat the mossies that they can catch that are flying near a wall

That's because they can't fly.

17 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Far more that they don't catch.

You ever hear the Tesco phrase ''every little helps''?

:smile:

I lived with a Thai family for a while.     The family had the common fear of these creatures ( tokay ) and did not think them lucky.

It would play peek a boo with the dogs from the dropped ceiling in the outside resting area and set them off barking each time it put its head out.

Not sure if I am right but the older the tokay is the longer its call, with a final sound added to the end of its call.

I have attached - I think - a video ad which I think, although sad is clever.Funny Thai Commercial.mp4Funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDncfptDjPU

Gecko is protected in Thailand.

If you want to kill geckos, enjoy your jail cell.

Don't tell the other prisoners why you are in jail.

The prisoners will give you a beating you will never forget.

Geckos are revered by Thai people.

A gecko shits on you , it is good luck.

This is Thailand. Love it or Leave it.

No one wants to hear your sissy complaints.

6 minutes ago, themerg said:

Gecko is protected in Thailand.

If you want to kill geckos, enjoy your jail cell.

Don't tell the other prisoners why you are in jail.

The prisoners will give you a beating you will never forget.

Geckos are revered by Thai people.

A gecko shits on you , it is good luck.

This is Thailand. Love it or Leave it.

No one wants to hear your sissy complaints.

The common house gecko is NOT a protected species.

What colour is the sky on your planet?

Jail, beatings, Bwahahahaha.

My war against house geckos has the approval of my Thai wife. Believe it or, not, Thais too have differing opinions.

Why don't YOU go home?

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Just saw the pictures...unbelievable!

So, for once, the rumors are true.

Just need to find one of these giants and here come the millions!

You'll need to keep it in a cage and feed it steroids.

19 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't forget, they only eat the mossies that they can catch that are flying near a wall. Far more that they don't catch.

Also their mating call is very loud and vulgar. The US GI's used to call them the <deleted> lizard because that is what their mating call sounds like. Also it is so loud and will keep you awake all night if they make a home in your loft

3 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

Also their mating call is very loud and vulgar. The US GI's used to call them the <deleted> lizard because that is what their mating call sounds like. Also it is so loud and will keep you awake all night if they make a home in your loft

I think you are talking about Tokays. The big buggers. I'm at war with the little ones that crap everywhere. Tokays don't usually come inside the house, if they do, it's very rare. The house geckos love living inside where they lay their eggs.

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

I think you are talking about Tokays. The big buggers. I'm at war with the little ones that crap everywhere. Tokays don't usually come inside the house, if they do, it's very rare. The house geckos love living inside where they lay their eggs.

11 yrs here and all of our houses have had a Tokay living inside at one point or another... Cats work well at relocating them!!

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

11 yrs here and all of our houses have had a Tokay living inside at one point or another... Cats work well at relocating them!!

In the 16 years in this house, it happens about once a year. The jing-joks are present 365 days a year.

30 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The common house gecko is NOT a protected species.

What colour is the sky on your planet?

Jail, beatings, Bwahahahaha.

My war against house geckos has the approval of my Thai wife. Believe it or, not, Thais too have differing opinions.

Why don't YOU go home?

Well said.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, Mrjlh said:

Trading Tuk-gae Geckos for money is not only illegal it's a scam if you fall for it.  Chinese believe their tongues cure cancer and other illnesses. If that was the case cancer would have been cured years ago. Some wise man once said a fool is born every minute.

The Chinese believe a tigers dick or a rhino horn will increase virility.....and there's 1.2 billion of them........just saying.

Personally I don't believe they need either any more

Edited by tryasimight
clarification

TCM is basically a load of baloney and is a serious threat to endangered species of both flora and fauna.

however it is wrong to suggest that ALL Chinese people believe in iit. TCM nearly died out in China but was revived in the USA and now with the bourgeoning new Chinese middle class is regaining popularity there.....with disastrous results

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

To those trying to eliminate these little (and large) chaps, you're fighting a losing battle.

However, over the years we have found:-

1. Removing their food source (mozzies and other crawling things) will reduce their presence in the house.
  2. Moth balls (naphthalene balls) inside cupboards will discourage them (and anything else) from setting up home. Great for those ornamental nick-nacks, but packet foods may take on an "interesting" flavour (naphthalene flavoured pasta is "interesting" - Fail!)
  3. Moth balls in your desktop PC will keep them out, but will make the office stink of naphthalene - Fail!

Cleaning up the poo is hardly a major task unless you leave it for weeks to build up (yuk).

I also put moth balls in electrical boxes etc. They last ages and keep ants and the like out.

Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may damage or destroy red blood cells, most commonly in people with an underlying G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency.[31]Over 400 million people have an inherited condition called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. Humans, in particular children, have developed this condition, known as hemolytic anemia, after ingesting mothballs or deodorant blocks containing naphthalene. Symptoms include fatigue, lack of appetite, restlessness, and pale skin. Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may cause confusionnauseavomitingdiarrheablood in the urine, and jaundice (yellow coloration of the skin due to dysfunction of the liver).[32]

When the US National Toxicology Program (NTP) exposed male and female rats and mice to naphthalene vapors on weekdays for two years,[33] male and female rats exhibited evidence of carcinogenesis with increased incidences of adenoma and neuroblastoma of the nose, female mice exhibited some evidence of carcinogenesis based on increased incidences of alveolar and bronchiolar adenomas of the lung, and male mice exhibited no evidence of carcinogenesis.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)[34] classifies naphthalene as possibly carcinogenic to humans and animals (Group 2B). The IARC also points out that acute exposure causes cataracts in humans, ratsrabbits, and mice; and that hemolytic anemia (described above) can occur in children and infants after oral or inhalation exposure or after maternal exposure during pregnancy. Under California's Proposition 65, naphthalene is listed as "known to the State to cause cancer".[35] A probable mechanism for the carcinogenic effects of mothballs and some types of air fresheners containing naphthalene has been identified.[36][37]

Regulation[edit]

US government agencies have set occupational exposure limits to naphthalene exposure. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has set a permissible exposure limit at 10 ppm (50 mg/m3) over an eight-hour time-weighted average. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has set a recommended exposure limit at 10 ppm (50 mg/m3) over an eight-hour time-weighted average, as well as a short-term exposure limit at 15 ppm (75 mg/m3).[38]

Mothballs and other products containing naphthalene have been banned within the EU since 2008.[39][40]

In China, the use of naphthalene in mothballs is forbidden.[41] Danger to human health and the common use of natural camphor are cited as reasons for the ban.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

8 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Ever heard of the phrase "bug spray"? :smile:

Yes, using bug sprays in your home sounds like a very brilliant concept!

Just inhale the toxic fumes for some time,  and then the bugs will  finally get YOU as their privileged food source  (unless you opt for the more hygienic solution: Cremation)...

Remember: They are not called "pesticides" without some very valid reasons!

Edited by Bonefish

1 minute ago, Bonefish said:

indeed. I'll stick with the very low levels of naphthalene that escape from our electrical boxes and nick-knack cupboards.

6 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Just inhale the toxic fumes for some time,  and then the bugs will  finally get YOU as their privileged food source  (unless you opt for the more hygienic solution: Cremation)...

Remember: They are not called "pesticides" without some very valid reasons!

I think the cigarettes I smoke are doing far worse things to me than bug spray........but, thanks for showing you care.

7 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I thought he was talking about sexpats.. 

19 hours ago, Enoon said:

How nice to see a photo of what looks like an Australian Goanna (Monitor lizard) in a thread about Thai Geckos.

The photo was taken by me right in front of Kawasaki motorcycle dealer , Rankhamhaeng, Bangkok. 

If it is Australian, could be imported by an expat or tourist to Bangkok. ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 0:34 PM, geronimo said:

Keep feeding them and before long you'll have some the size of monitor lizards, and can retire!

You want to make some money? Inject it with hormones and it will grow real big. Google the Vietnam Catfish farm, and you will see they inject hormone into Catfish about the size of your palm and they grew to big fish ready for fillet and frozen to be sold in your supermarket in Thailand. They are called "Dolly fish" they taste very good though. I don't eat them anymore because they feed those catfish with fish feeds made from chicken droppings. 

The factory that supply the fish feeds dried the chicken droppings and crashed them to powder and mixed them with rice husks to make fish feeds, (little pellets) and they packed them in big bags to be sold to fish farm.

Hormones and Chicken droppings not my idea of good foods.

5 hours ago, madusa said:

You want to make some money? Inject it with hormones and it will grow real big. Google the Vietnam Catfish farm, and you will see they inject hormone into Catfish about the size of your palm and they grew to big fish ready for fillet and frozen to be sold in your supermarket in Thailand. They are called "Dolly fish" they taste very good though. I don't eat them anymore because they feed those catfish with fish feeds made from chicken droppings. 

The factory that supply the fish feeds dried the chicken droppings and crashed them to powder and mixed them with rice husks to make fish feeds, (little pellets) and they packed them in big bags to be sold to fish farm.

Sounds like a Mac Shit burger to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 7:45 PM, madusa said:

The production of fish feed often includes chicken feathers.

For those interested ... ?

There is a wonderful satirical novel about salamanders and humans - yes I know a salamander is not a gecko and vice versa but,

the book has an interesting concept.

The book was written by Karel Capek in 1936 and the title is War With The Salamanders.

Its available for order from book shops such as Kinokuniya and probably Amazon.

The lay out to the book is a little strange which adds something extra.

Enjoy !