Putting a 4g sim card in a old phone.

A friend has a SS Galaxy Note 2 phone for which she has bought and is using a 4g card in.  My Note-3 says it only can use up to 3G so I assume an older note-2 will not be better.  I told her it would not work in her old phone but to my surprise , she says her AIS 4G card works fine in her Note 2.    My guess is that they are taking her money and providing her with 4G service which is stepped down to 3G for her phone and she is wastng her money.  Who is right?

a 'SIM' card (Subscriber Identification Module) contains information for the device to connect to provider network. The provider may be running multiple network types, but a recent SIM usually contains info on each network (2G, 3G, 4G).  So a 3G phone can use a SIM marked 4G as the SIM also contains connection info on the provider 3G network.

But as already stated, a '4G' SIM won't allow a 3G phone suddenly have 4G features.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

2.    My guess is that they are taking her money and providing her with 4G service which is stepped down to 3G for her phone and she is wastng her money.  Who is right?

Not true for prepaid. Is it?

For telephony there is no difference anyway.

For mobile data you would select a package (otherwise an expensive standard rate applies).

The packages can be anything from 384 kBit/s (or 512), 3G  or up to "full speed".

Full speed could indeed mean that you waste money.

In reality: be happy if you get the max speed that is available with 3G (7.2 Mbit/s).

That is true.  

If you select a 4G 'package', but you're device is only capable of 3G speeds, then you are wasting money on potential speed your device isn't capable of using.

The SIM provider has no idea what devices you may be moving your SIM Card in between (or not moving it at all).

...and 21.6 mbps is the max datarate for HSPA+ 3G, but that is just a connection rate. Provider bandwidth, concurrent users and prevailing conditions will impact your actual download speeds.

I knew data prices would be higher in 4G because the whole point is they are faster and we pay extra for speed in everything.  I have not done the check on call rates but I assumed phone rates woud be dearer too.  Perhaps in that part I am wrong.  

Ok enouigh infoThanks.

The Note 2 N7105 variant supports LTE Band 3 (1800)

The Note 3 N9005 variant supports LTE Bands 1 (2100), 3 (1800) & 8 (900)

True, AIS and DTAC have 1800, 2100 (True and AIS also have 900)

Assuming she has the N7105 variant, then she's right, and you're, well, the opposite of that.

While there are a gazillion data plans, and some with higher/unlimited volumes at slower speeds (384/512), most now don't discriminate 3G/4G.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I have not done the check on call rates but I assumed phone rates woud be dearer too.

I never saw the slightest indication that phone rates depend on the data technology.

Of course there are also different "call plans" that can be selected from.

I don't know what the default plan is nowadays.

I pay 1 Baht for first minute, 0.25 Baht for following minutes to all Thai mobile networks (excl. VAT).

On 5/31/2017 at 8:43 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I never saw the slightest indication that phone rates depend on the data technology.

Of course there are also different "call plans" that can be selected from.

I don't know what the default plan is nowadays.

I pay 1 Baht for first minute, 0.25 Baht for following minutes to all Thai mobile networks (excl. VAT).

2G,3G & 4G are nothing to do with phone calls, only data connections. The maximum speed for 3G is 7.2 mb/sec, not mB/sec. If you get for example AIS 3G 14Bht per day package it is limited to 356 Kb/sec, not much faster than old dial up modems. A total rip-off.

Archived