Emotional appeal to help British woman who lost son and husband in Thailand car crash

webfact

Emotional appeal to raise thousands for 68-year-old who lost son and husband in Thailand car crash

By LOUGHLAN CAMPBELL

AN EMOTIONAL plea has been issued to help a woman who is fighting for her life following a crash in Thailand.

Rosalie Weatherill was driving in Surat Thani, south Thailand with her husband Arthur and son David when they were involved in a head-on collision with a truck.

All three were taken to hospital, but both Arthur, 81, and David, 54, died from their injuries.

Now friends of the family are desperately trying to raise money to keep Mrs Weatherill alive and pay her medical bills, which are around £7,000 and rising.

The 68-year-old, who lives in Gosport, had been visiting David, who lived in Havant before moving to Thailand in 2011.

Full story: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-region/havant/watch-emotional-appeal-to-raise-thousands-for-68-year-old-who-lost-son-and-husband-in-thailand-car-crash-1-7983777

-- The News Portsmouth 2017-05-31

The OP doesn't mention travel insurance and the news article link manages to sidestep it too.

Why oh why do we keep coming back to the same old story.  Notwithstanding, this isn't a group of teenagers.

You are asking for big trouble travelling abroad without travel insurance even if it's just a daytrip to France and all for the price of a few rounds at your local pub.

Anyway, RIP to the men and good luck to the lady [she's going to need it].

Every week now we are seeing pleas for help to pay medical bills for people coming here with no adequate insurance cover.

These people were not young backpackers, they were mature people, so why no proper cover?

5 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I'm curious, they don't have car insurance?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

did the truck have insurance ? seems to me from what is being said the truck driver was at fault, why is the truck/driver/company not paying the bills ?????? and paying compensation for causing two deaths and a woman in hospital with severe injuries 

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

did the truck have insurance ? seems to me from what is being said the truck driver was at fault, why is the truck/driver/company not paying the bills ?????? and paying compensation for causing two deaths and a woman in hospital with severe injuries 

Good point but T.I.T. so not a hope in hell of anyone covering what is going to be some very significant medical bills and subsequent repatriation charges.  Only comprehensive travel insurance can truly cover your butt for such unforeseen events.

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Every week now we are seeing pleas for help to pay medical bills for people coming here with no adequate insurance cover.

These people were not young backpackers, they were mature people, so why no proper cover?

You make a good point; this has become something of an "industry", not to say this case is not deserving...but you see it on the net so often and frequently includes requests for support for those who are clearly not "on their uppers". It helps the givers feel better and maybe a bit of "there but for the grace of god"

Anyway, hope the old girl gets well again after her great loss.

It's begging......plain and simple.

Why can't the relatives at home get a bank loan against their house, or, any other collateral?

Because it's easier (and cheaper) to beg for it, that's why.

Edited by KarenBravo

10 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

It's begging......plain and simple.

Why can't the relatives at home get a bank loan against their house, or, any other collateral?

Because it's easier (and cheaper) to beg for it, that's why.

It's called appealing for charity.

Why should they not try this approach?

If you don't want to help, then don't.

I know I'd try the same route if someone I knew was in need.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

It's called appealing for charity.

Why should they not try this approach?

If you don't want to help, then don't.

Firstly, I'd never let myself get in that predicament, there's this wonderful thing called insurance.

Why not use their own money? Why bludge off perfect strangers?

If you knew someone in their predicament, why not borrow and pay the bill yourself? You can get the money back when they get better.

15 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If you knew someone in their predicament, why not borrow and pay the bill yourself? You can get the money back when they get better.

... or, alternatively, advise them not travel abroad without travel insurance. 

Bluespunk - you could also advise that while the victim is laid up in hospital unable to pay their medical bills then the treatment they'll receive will be next to zero.

Edited by GuiseppeD

36 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Firstly, I'd never let myself get in that predicament, there's this wonderful thing called insurance.

I never said you would be in that position. 

If people want to appeal for help they should do so.

There's this thing called debt which can be very hard for some to get out of.

Rather than pontificating about taking out loans you might want to consider how damaging debt can be for those who do not have access to resources the more fortunate in society have..

25 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

... or, alternatively, advise them not travel abroad without travel insurance. 

Bluespunk - you could also advise that while the victim is laid up in hospital unable to pay their medical bills then the treatment they'll receive will be next to zero.

Where have I advised anyone?

If people want to appeal for help to support those in need, why should they be condemned for doing so.

Rather than lecture those in need about what they should have done it would better to help or just ignore the appeal.

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Like I said, you could forewarn the people that you know that are possibly going to travel abroad without travel insurance so that your friends don't end up in the same predicament and we end up debating their predicament here in the future.

I can confirm that I have previously donated to people that have come unstuck but I've only got so much money to fritter away on those that like to live dangerously. 

My wife and I were caught up in the BA T5 fiasco at the weekend and our BA flight to BKK was cancelled.  We lost our luggage, a hotel booking in BKK and an AirAsia flight.  I also had to shell out for taxi fares, hotel accommodation in London for the night, food and ad hoc expenses, which ran in to 100s of pounds.  You guessed it, our travel insurance will cover what BA doesn't.  If I lost a leg in an accident then the coverage really comes into its own.

5 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Like I said, you could forewarn the people that you know that are possibly going to travel abroad without travel insurance so that your friends don't end up in the same predicament and we end up debating their predicament here in the future.

I can confirm that I have previously donated to people that have come unstuck but I've only got so much money to fritter away on those that like to live dangerously. 

My wife and I were caught up in the BA T5 fiasco at the weekend and our BA flight to BKK was cancelled.  We lost our luggage, a hotel booking in BKK and an AirAsia flight.  I also had to shell out for taxi fares, hotel accommodation in London for the night, food and ad hoc expenses, which ran in to 100s of pounds.  You guessed it, our travel insurance will cover what BA doesn't.  If I lost a leg in an accident then the coverage really comes into its own.

And like I say, if someone wants to appeal don't lecture them about what they should have done.

Help them or ignore them.

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And like I say, if someone wants to appeal don't lecture them about what they should have done.

Help them or ignore them.

Proactive is much easier than reactive.  You can help them with your nous in order to avoid the reactive.

3 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Proactive is much easier than reactive.  You can help them with your nous in order to avoid the reactive.

Again...I would never lecture those seeking to help those in need or who have suffered misfortune.

5 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Have you donated to Rosalie Weatherill's cause?

OK, now you are going off topic.

However

It doesn't matter whether I contribute or not.

The point I am making is people have a right to make an appeal and not be condemned for doing so.

Unless you have a relevant/on topic/new point to make I won't be responding to you anymore.

38 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

OK, now you are going off topic.

However

It doesn't matter whether I contribute or not.

The point I am making is people have a right to make an appeal and not be condemned for doing so.

Unless you have a relevant/on topic/new point to make I won't be responding to you anymore.

No condemnation and I note that on the balance of probabilities you haven't contributed as I have done in the past.

Let's look forward to a proactive regime where we help people weigh up the odds between having insurance or chancing it, which has been my point all along.  Education for the nation!  Too late for this particular family but let's make the world a better place in helping people consider their options in advance.  If you can afford a flight ticket to LOS then a little extra outlay for a comprehensive travel insurance policy isn't going to break the bank.  This also ensures that you receive the best possible treatment and repatriation with no stress. 

My wife and I have an annual rolling BUPA travel insurance policy, that includes motorcycles, for a measly 140 quid.  This covers all of our international and European trips over the course of a year.  Spread the word, Bluespunk, if you are willing to, otherwise you do a disservice to your friends by leaving them uninformed.  Up to you.

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

You know nothing of the personal or financial aspects of Rosalie, or of the friends of family trying to help.  Yet, here you are bitching about how it would never happen to you!  As it's already been said, if you don't want to help, don't.  But perhaps a little compassion for a woman who has just lost her husband and son, and laid up in hospital 6,000 miles from home, would be an improvement in your attitude.

Who needs enemies with a friend like you!

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

You know nothing of the personal or financial aspects of Rosalie ...

We've a very good idea about the financial aspect, Moti24.  The family chose to fly to LOS, which isn't a cheap activity, but they omitted to include the cheap travel insurance option. 

I note every travel agent that I've ever booked with includes the option for the add-on travel insurance coverage.  Tick yes or tick no.  Personally, I prefer my own standalone insurance as it's more competitively priced and comprehensive but the option has always been there.

Due to the family's ignorance to save a 'few quid', the insurance burden is now laid firmly at the feet of the generosity of the general public.  Good luck with that. 

Also note that your medical treatment is complete crap if you are unable to settle the bill upfront.  Don't risk it, ever.  And don't shoot the messenger as we are revisiting this hackneyed old story on a nearly weekly basis now. 

The old geezer was 81 so he probably couldnt get insurance. The son was 54 and living in Thailand so he probably didnt have any insurance either going by 80% of the chancer expat community. The old duck was probably only thinking of re runs of Coronation Street and seeing her son so didnt even think about insurance. So all in all a clusterfluck all round.

Another storm in a teacup until some other titillating tale comes along.

Ooohh look theres a busty girl making somtam.....

7 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Seems a few people agree with my position judging by the likes

Make a screenshot and show your grandchildren when the time comes. Three 'likes' for a comment on Thaivisa, it's probably one of your greatest lifetime achievements thus far....

11 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

You might find that your insurance doesn't cover you for all eventualities ... these companies look for any excuse. 

3 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

Make a screenshot and show your grandchildren when the time comes. Three 'likes' for a comment on Thaivisa, it's probably one of your greatest lifetime achievements thus far....

Oohhhhh.......I'm wounded, wounded I tell's yer (in a Bugs Bunny voice).

Edited by KarenBravo