Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do now know what you think, that is why I asked you .

What is to reply to that question ?

Is make up the same as ''blackface''?

Are you really that desperate to create a link between a tradition rooted in hate and make up?

Wow.

No it's not the same, oh wait... I've already said that...

Edited by Bluespunk

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Are you really that desperate to create a link between a tradition rooted in hate and make up?

What did the Americans use 50 years ago on TV to make their faces appear to be darker?

What did the Asian lady in the O.P use to make herself appear to be darker?

The answer is..................Make -up

That is the connection : Make-up

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What did the Americans use 50 years ago on TV to make their faces appear to be darker?

What did the Asian lady in the O.P use to make herself appear to be darker?

The answer is..................Make -up

That is the connection : Make-up

No, ''blackface'' is a tradition rooted in hate and prejudice, designed to humiliate, belittle and spread bigotry.

Using make up is not the same as applying ''blackface''.

But I've already told you that haven't I...

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do now know what you think, that is why I asked you .

What is to reply to that question ?

Useless to waste you time trying to get an answer I think... you will just get the same phrases over and over churned out like a parrot with no apparent understanding or information to back up the statements........

'religious bigots, bigots, 'blackface' pays homage to a tradition rooted in hate... blah blah...

The blackface 'tradition' of hate came from America.... and it happened a long time ago!!!  So how can that be compared to other countries where people are simply dressing up as a black person so they can look like a black person?  Countries with different traditions and cultures.

Things in life are not simple 'black and white', and I am not taking about peoples skin colours here!!!  It's too simplistic to say anyone putting on dark makeup to dress up in character as a black person is being a raciest hateful bigot. 

It's not hard (for most people) to see the difference between raciest mocking of black people and simply making up to look like a black character...

And, for a white guy with no connections to the black community to be up on his high horse about it is laughable (like he said my views were). 

We still have not heard from an offended black person so far..... suggesting this is a none issue to them. 

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Useless to waste you time trying to get an answer I think... you will just get the same phrases over and over churned out like a parrot with no apparent understanding or information to back up the statements........

'religious bigots, bigots, 'blackface' pays homage to a tradition rooted in hate... blah blah...

The blackface 'tradition' of hate came from America.... and it happened a long time ago!!!  So how can that be compared to other countries where people are simply dressing up as a black person so they can look like a black person?  Countries with different traditions and cultures.

Things in life are not simple 'black and white', and I am not taking about peoples skin colours here!!!  It's too simplistic to say anyone putting on dark makeup to dress up in character as a black person is being a raciest hateful bigot. 

It's not hard (for most people) to see the difference between raciest mocking of black people and simply making up to look like a black character...

And, for a white guy with no connections to the black community to be up on his high horse about it is laughable (like he said my views were). 

We still have not heard from an offended black person so far..... suggesting this is a none issue to them. 

I never said this campaign was a deliberate racist act

It did use a racist tradition, as I have said probably unintentionally, though.

Glad you recall my opinion of your views, they remain unchanged...

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They both use ''blackface'' one intentionally the other unintentionally

I have made it clear I do not think vogue meant to be offensive where as the abomination of a show you have included in your post knew exactly what they did.

There is a difference.

However, both are wrong in that they use''blackface''.

I think most people can see which pics here are raciest and mocking black people.. and which ones are beautiful and clever application of make up to look like a black person... or a black person to look like a white person... for innocent fun!

pic.PNG

pic1.PNG

pic4.PNG

pic7.PNG

pic8.PNG

jjhu.PNG

pic3.PNG

Edited by jak2002003

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The appalling display you refer to as entertainment was an example of ''blackface''.

But you said...

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, that was a racist act.

What's your 'point'?

It was acting.

...with make up.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonsense

Oh and if you want to know how I would answer something have the courage to quote me.

Quote you on what exactly, I'm asking you a question.

Let's try again.

What is the difference between Makeup and Black face?

Or, if that is too difficult. At what point does makeup become a racist act?

You seem to be confident that you know, so don't be shy, give us the answer.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Quote you on what exactly, I'm asking you a question.

Let's try again.

What is the difference between Makeup and Black face?

Or, if that is too difficult. At what point does makeup become a racist act?

You seem to be confident that you know, so don't be shy, give us the answer.

''Blackface'' is based on a racist tradition of hate and prejudice.

Make up is based on vanity.

How one can confuse one with the other is beyond me.

Unless someone is trying to defend a racist tradition that is.

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

''Blackface'' is based on a racist tradition of hate and prejudice.

Make up is based on vanity.

How one can confuse one with the other is beyond me.

Using make up to look like someone is neither racist or vanity .

You can get to an absurd situation where being so called Anti racist , can actually push you over into the racist category .

For example : If there were 20 Thais all taking part in a televised talent competition and the talent was imitating famous singers , where they look and sound a like  famous singers .

Would you tell them that they can choose which ever Artist they want to be, but they cannot choose to be a  Black artist ?

Celine Dion OK ,Whitney Houston, cannot .

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You do seem to have an issue with blackface .

I see no colour, a face is a face, whatever colour it is

I have an issue with racism, intolerance, bigotry and those who defend traditions/language that reflect such hatred.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I have an issue with racism, 

Racism , by definition, is treating people differently due to their race 

Not allowing people to resemble a certain person, due to that persons race , is closer to racism, than it is allowing someone to resemble someone else , regardless of their race

"You can dress up like a white person, but you cannot dress up like a black person" is by definition, racist 

Just now, sanemax said:

Racism , by definition, is treating people differently due to their race 

Not allowing people to resemble a certain person, due to that persons race , is closer to racism, than it is allowing someone to resemble someone else , regardless of their race

"You can dress up like a white person, but you cannot dress up like a black person" is by definition, racist 

Again, no one is talking about dressing up.

''Blackface'' is not the same as dressing up.

No one said anything about how you can dress.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Again, no one is talking about dressing up.

''Blackface'' is not the same as dressing up.

No one said anything about how you can dress.

To dress up like someone , to resemble them, you would have to have the same skin colour as them.

Dressing up like a famous Black person would require some make up, if that person has a different skin colour to the person whom they are trying to look like

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

To dress up like someone , to resemble them, you would have to have the same skin colour as them.

Dressing up like a famous Black person would require some make up, if that person has a different skin colour to the person whom they are trying to look like

''To dress up like someone , to resemble them, you would have to have the same skin colour as them.''

No you don't.

'' Dressing up like a famous Black person would require some make up, if that person has a different skin colour to the person whom they are trying to look like''

See above

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

''To dress up like someone , to resemble them, you would have to have the same skin colour as them.''

No you don't.

'' Dressing up like a famous Black person would require some make up, if that person has a different skin colour to the person whom they are trying to look like''

See above

Remember the story, Black like me? I didn't realize until this week the protagonist was a racist. He really should have had a black guy dress up like a black guy instead of doing it himself.

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Remember the story, Black like me? I didn't realize until this week the protagonist was a racist. He really should have had a black guy dress up like a black guy instead of doing it himself.

He didn't need to dress up as anything.

The hatred and prejudice was all around him.

Still plenty of bigots around today as well