Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He didn't need to dress up as anything.

The hatred and prejudice was all around him.

Still plenty of bigots around today as well

Which he? The white guy who actually changed his appearance to that of a black man, or the black guy that I invented as a more suitable replacement, based on your racist makeup theory.

Just now, canuckamuck said:

Which he? The white guy who actually changed his appearance to that of a black man, or the black guy that I invented as a more suitable replacement, based on your racist makeup theory.

I have no theory on make up.

''Blackface'' and using make up are not the same.

As for the rest of your post...challenge yourself and work it out.

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I have no theory on make up.

''Blackface'' and using make up are not the same.

As for the rest of your post...challenge yourself and work it out.

You do have a theory on makeup. Your theory is blackface is not makeup. 

What process is required to create blackface then? Does it involve makeup???

For the second item, I described a scenario which included two men. One white, one black. You responded using the term he. You are either unable to be clear, or you are unwilling. Or both.

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

You do have a theory on makeup. Your theory is blackface is not makeup. 

What process is required to create blackface then? Does it involve makeup???

For the second item, I described a scenario which included two men. One white, one black. You responded using the term he. You are either unable to be clear, or you are unwilling. Or both.

As to your second point, see last post. Go on, take a risk, work it out.

Using make up and using ''blackface'' are not the same thing.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Let's just agree you can't justify ''blackface'', eh...

I throughly agree that I will not be able to justify it to you 

Even with attempts of reasoning, your reply will always and forever be 

"Black face is racist "

Just now, sanemax said:

I throughly agree that I will not be able to justify it to you 

Even with attempts of reasoning, your reply will always and forever be 

"Black face is racist "

That's because it is.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It was ''blackface''

Therefore it was racist.

It was not entertainment, it was prejudice and bigotry.

No it wasn't. I clearly recall my dad asking, "Shall we watch Z Cars tonight or The Black & White Minstrel Show" (on the old black and white telly). Never heard him offering that we could either watch cops and robbers or prejudice and bigotry.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

No it wasn't. I clearly recall my dad asking, "Shall we watch Z Cars tonight or The Black & White Minstrel Show" (on the old black and white telly). Never heard him offering that we could either watch cops and robbers or prejudice and bigotry.

None the less the show was racist.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

OK, That has convinced me............. Black face is racist after all....................:smile:

Why is black face racist ?

Because it is and thats why .

I've already explained to you but you can't accept that any tradition rooted in hatred, bigotry and prejudice is wrong.

I do wonder why...

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I've already explained to you but you can't accept that any tradition rooted in hatred, bigotry and prejudice is wrong.

I do wonder why...

Because Im a racist , nazi , facist sexist .bigot per chance ?

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

As to your second point, see last post. Go on, take a risk, work it out.

Using make up and using ''blackface'' are not the same thing.

I made a scenario with two males and you responded to the scenario with the term he. I asked you to clarify which he you meant and you refused. That is quite childish. I can see how you could have meant either man, therefore my response to your reply is dependent upon knowing who you meant. I suppose the tactic is to make me bored and go away; because you are so far out on a limb with your numerous ridiculous replies, that I suppose all you have left is to stick your thumb to your nose, wiggle your fingers and go nyah nyah nyah.

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I made a scenario with two males and you responded to the scenario with the term he. I asked you to clarify which he you meant and you refused. That is quite childish. I can see how you could have meant either man, therefore my response to your reply is dependent upon knowing who you meant. I suppose the tactic is to make me bored and go away; because you are so far out on a limb with your numerous ridiculous replies, that I suppose all you have left is to stick your thumb to your nose, wiggle your fingers and go nyah nyah nyah.

I only referred to one man.

I don't refer to imaginary little people you want to cook up for spurious reasons.

You really think a black man in the America in the 60's wouldn't know what racist hate was.

You know the hate that created ''blackface''

Jesus...

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He didn't need to dress up as anything.

The hatred and prejudice was all around him.

Still plenty of bigots around today as well

OK you were referring to the white man then. Was it painful to concede like that?

So the guy who changed his appearance to that of a black man, as a social experiment to see how people treated him different when they thought he was black; could have just remained white and the social experiment would have been equally valid? Interesting, I hope you aren't conducting any important experiments. It doesn't appear you have the grasp of it.

Anyway the unanswered question is whether or not the man who changed his appearance, was being racist and hateful by darkening his skin.

I await your glib deflection.

Edited by canuckamuck

27 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

OK you were referring to the white man then. Was it painful to concede like that?

So the guy who changed his appearance to that of a black man, as a social experiment to see how people treated him different when they thought he was black; could have just remained white and the social experiment would have been equally valid? Interesting, I hope you aren't conducting any important experiments. It doesn't appear you have the grasp of it.

Anyway the unanswered question is whether or not the man who changed his appearance, was being racist and hateful by darkening his skin.

I await your glib deflection.

The experiment should have been unnecessary, as I indicated in the post you found to hard to work out, [that was painful to see I will admit], there were plenty of black people who could have made clear what was going on.

Though the racism prevalent in society meant their voices were ignored. The same racism that spawned ''blackface''

What he did is not the same as ''blackface'' as it was not based on bigotry, hate prejudice and racist intolerance as''blackface'' is.

Was it racist?

No, I'd say it wasn't, I am still astonished that he really did change the colour of his skin.

He did it to expose racism, hate, prejudice and bigotry.

He didn't resort to ''blackface'' and all the hate that accompanies it.

What he did bears no resemblance to that tradition.

Do I feel comfortable with it, no I don't.

As I say, all society had to do was listen to the voices of those being discriminated against on the basis of colour.

Glib enough for you...

Edited by Bluespunk

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The experiment should have been unnecessary, as I indicated in the post you found to hard to work out, [that was painful to see I will admit], there were plenty of black people who could have made clear what was going on.

Though the racism prevalent in society meant their voices were ignored. The same racism that spawned ''blackface''

What he did is not the same as ''blackface'' as it was not based on bigotry, hate prejudice and racist intolerance as''blackface'' is.

Was it racist?

No, I'd say it wasn't, I am still astonished that he really did change the colour of his skin.

He did it to expose racism, hate, prejudice and bigotry.

He didn't resort to ''blackface'' and all the hate that accompanies it.

What he did bears no resemblance to that tradition.

Do I feel comfortable with it, no I don't.

As I say, all society had to do was listen to the voices of those being discriminated against on the basis of colour.

Glib enough for you...

Same with the Vogue piece. What they did was also not based on bigotry, hate prejudice and racist intolerance.

Rather the opposite. It was admiration and respect.

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Same with the Vogue piece. What they did was also not based on bigotry, hate prejudice and racist intolerance.

Rather the opposite. It was admiration and respect.

Not even close to the vogue piece. 

That was use of "blackface". 

Unintentional I'm sure, as I have said all along, but still a homage to a racist tradition. 

A tradition based in hate, prejudice and racist bigotry. 

There is no comparison. 

Edited by Bluespunk

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not even close to the vogue piece. 

That was use of "blackface". 

Unintentional I'm sure, as I have said all along, but still a homage to a racist tradition. 

A tradition based in hate, prejudice and racist bigotry. 

There is no comparison. 

Whatever...

Here's the well known prejudiced, racist, bigot, and Black hater, Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

alg-robertdowneyjr-jpg.jpg

33 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Whatever...

Here's the well known prejudiced, racist, bigot, and Black hater, Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

alg-robertdowneyjr-jpg.jpg

Already made clear what I think of that. 

Edited by Bluespunk

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Pdaz said:

I shall explain in simpler terms.

If making a yellow person black with make-up is offensive.

Then shouldn't making a yellow person white with make-up be equally offensive ?

Oh no, white people don't get offended as easily as black people..

No because the yellow people want the change to be permanent.