Drunk teens to face tougher drink driving laws from today

webfact

Drunk teens to face tougher drink driving laws from today

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Tougher measures to combat drink driving come into force today.

In future anyone under twenty years of age will be considered drunk if they have an alcohol reading of just 20 milligrams.

Presently the drink drive limit in Thailand is 50 milligrams.

The new measures also apply to all temporary license holders and those who are caught without a license or driving while suspended.

Thai Rath said that the new measures are as a result of changes to Ordinance 21 relating to alcohol levels in the blood while driving.

Police from May 31st will be able to prosecute those in the categories mentioned caught with the lower level of alcohol in their blood.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-01

I thought the age for being allowed alcohol was 20 here, wouldnt it make more sense to simply arrest them for breaking the law and taking their licence from them, then again that might cause them to lose face. Maybe one day here police will actually charge people that are breaking the laws with a crime  instead of making excuses to let them off but then that would require them to do paperwork and not have extra tea money

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

I thought the age for being allowed alcohol was 20 here, wouldnt it make more sense to simply arrest them for breaking the law and taking their licence from them, then again that might cause them to lose face. Maybe one day here police will actually charge people that are breaking the laws with a crime  instead of making excuses to let them off but then that would require them to do paperwork and not have extra tea money

According to wiki

"The Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008 increased the drinking age in Thailand from 18 to 20, private drinking is not regulated in private locations."

I have no argument about a lower alchohol limit for young riders/drivers, who are not as used to drinking as older people. What does concern me is the inclusion of those "without a license", which is effectively going to mean every tourist, who can now be arrested after no more than 2 small beers, but are not remotely close to intoxicated. It will also impact those who live here but have held a license for less than 2 years, when the first "temporary" license becomes a full one.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I have no argument about a lower alchohol limit for young riders/drivers, who are not as used to drinking as older people. What does concern me is the inclusion of those "without a license", which is effectively going to mean every tourist, who can now be arrested after no more than 2 small beers, but are not remotely close to intoxicated. It will also impact those who live here but have held a license for less than 2 years, when the first "temporary" license becomes a full one.

AFAIK a home country licence with your details in English is acceptable here. What I do know for certain is that the reverse IS true, that my Thai licence which has my details in English is acceptable in Australia while I remain a resident of Thailand. There is no need for an International licence unless your details are not in English, and it only serves as a translation.

How do I know? While applying for my Qld licence, first time in that state, there was a processing delay. I was advised I could use my Thai licence until then, or when on holidays in Oz.

18 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

drunk driving penalty / fine for thai people is - 20.000 baht

drunk driving penalty / fine for farang is - 50.000 baht

does this mean that the courts will up their fines to match that of us farang ? 

Got proof of that ?

the authorities can't even enforce traffic laws among the general population that are non-alcohol related, how else can they enforce to a subset of the population. and this portion of the population they're aiming to be more strict on are usually the hi-so kids whose parents can afford to strike a up a deal against the police.

nothing to see here. moving on...

2 hours ago, halloween said:

AFAIK a home country licence with your details in English is acceptable here. What I do know for certain is that the reverse IS true, that my Thai licence which has my details in English is acceptable in Australia while I remain a resident of Thailand. There is no need for an International licence unless your details are not in English, and it only serves as a translation.

How do I know? While applying for my Qld licence, first time in that state, there was a processing delay. I was advised I could use my Thai licence until then, or when on holidays in Oz.

I use a Thailand License to rent cars in the USA.  My California license expired years ago.  In fact I have registered my Thai wife as a driver when renting.

Back in the day most young people I knew lived on farms and had to get up early to milk cows and then milking took place again at 3 pm.

Hard physical work in the fields and in the orchards made young people more responsible. Most went to bed early.

If we drank alcohol under 21, it was at the dinner table, or by the ponds or streams while fishing.

Most of the crazy laws today make no sense to me.

I never heard the word divorce until I got in the military.

If a man or woman is old enough to defend their country, they are old enough to drink alcohol and drive.

Other motorists assume the risk when they enter the highway.

That is why I ride the BTS and MRT most of the time.

A young person could probably hold their liquor better than a senior that is taking a fist full of prescription medication daily, combined with only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night.

Lip service.  Anyone with cash gets off, age irrelevant, nationality irrelevant, size of wallet - very relevant.  

A pissed-up 12 year-old with a spare 5 grand - no problem, not guilty.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In future anyone under twenty years of age will be considered drunk if they have an alcohol reading of just 20 milligrams.

In other news, 20 years ago, every motorcycle rider who doesn't wear a helmet will be considered in breach of the  traffic law and face a fine.

Young friend of mine and his mate were driving home early morning in April after a party in Bangkok, in separate cars. They were stopped, tested and both over .05....negotiated settlement was 3000 baht each, no paperwork. So what difference will .02 make to enforcement of road rules or the road toll?

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

In other news, 20 years ago, every motorcycle rider who doesn't wear a helmet will be considered in breach of the  traffic law and face a fine.

also.....anybody caught riding up the wrong side of the road will go to jail.......pmsl........

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

Got proof of that ?

i do not need to provide you with proof when your  fingers snap,       a local thai guy in pattaya who has 2 motorbike rental shops told me this . 

if you really want proof of this then go out get drunk and find out for yourself  ! 

6 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

i do not need to provide you with proof when your  fingers snap,       a local thai guy in pattaya who has 2 motorbike rental shops told me this . 

if you really want proof of this then go out get drunk and find out for yourself  ! 

Ohh, because Somchai at the bike shop said so.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I figured you was posting nonsense, thanks for proving me correct.

Edited by Techno Viking

Make teens resit their driving test again if caught drink driving this is always a good deterrent in most countries rather than a small 500 baht fine and don’t do that again, now move along attitude.   

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

Back in the day most young people I knew lived on farms and had to get up early to milk cows and then milking took place again at 3 pm.

Hard physical work in the fields and in the orchards made young people more responsible. Most went to bed early.

If we drank alcohol under 21, it was at the dinner table, or by the ponds or streams while fishing.

Most of the crazy laws today make no sense to me.

I never heard the word divorce until I got in the military.

If a man or woman is old enough to defend their country, they are old enough to drink alcohol and drive.

Other motorists assume the risk when they enter the highway.

That is why I ride the BTS and MRT most of the time.

A young person could probably hold their liquor better than a senior that is taking a fist full of prescription medication daily, combined with only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night.

So you are anticipating that anyone old enough to be brainwashed by the army is ok to drink and drive.

I think its time you went back to 1840.

Only teens?? Older people are also guilty of drink driving, the police should be getting off their asses and addressing the problem instead of posing with their medals, ribbons etc.

And what about the funny militaristic ranks? They should not only be targeting teens though.

Edited by possum1931

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So you want to exclude foreigners,talk about predudiceThey are the main offenders in the tourist haunts.If you dont want to be impacted,dont drink and drive,so easy here.

What they are able to do and what they will do are two different things. They will still keep playing with the traffic lights in their little boxes, always be out when they want more tea money, and bullying the street vendors, club owners etc, etc for their brown envelopes.

4 hours ago, halloween said:

And so you should.

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

The perfect drongos reply.A guy in a bike shop who is not a friend told me.And who told him.