Ex-politician threatens to sue over seized stolen car: source

snoop1130

Ex-politician threatens to sue over seized stolen car: source

By Piyanuch Tamnukasetchai
The Nation

35d2ddb44a5437b0e7077f89a095883f.jpeg

A former politician who reportedly possesses a luxury car stolen from Britain has threatened to sue investigators who refused to withdraw a confiscation order to let him keep the vehicle, a source at the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said on Thursday.

Following the confiscation of 166 luxury cars – 13 of which were found to have been stolen from the UK –from various locations last month as part of the DSI-Customs Department investigation into alleged import tax evasion, the unnamed ex-politician this week informed DSI investigators that he had one of the stolen cars in his possession.

He insisted that since he bought the car legally, he should be regarded as a damaged person and allowed to keep it, the source said. 

After being told the car must be sent back to Britain, he became furious, claimed to be a former politician of a major party and threatened to sue the whole investigation team, the source said. 

DSI officers would check cars parked at warehouses in the Laem Chabang Port's duty-free zone next week, the source added.

DSI chief, Pol Colonel Paisit Wongmuang, said on Thursday several car importers had contacted the department to explain their car imports so as to retrieve the cars. The DSI promised to ensure justice to all parties according to the evidence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316947

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the West, buying a stolen object is becoming an accomplice of theft, is committing a concealment.

In such cases, theft is committed as a result of a specific order.

Now this "politician"  must prove his good intention, and give evidence he doesn't know this car was stolen if he not want to be prosecute.

Finally, I not sure he could retrieve his car. 

He may be a damaged party but he needs to take that up with the person he bought it off and the DSI may be able to assist with that. 

In the meantime the car must be returned to its rightful owner in the UK.

47 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A former politician who reportedly possesses a luxury car stolen from Britain has threatened to sue investigators

the unnamed ex-politician

claimed to be a former politician of a major party

Any chance that this concerns a politician who's son apologized today to the PM, and that this was actually the reason he went over the top on FB? Remember that a few years ago a politician from a major party had a Bentley for which he couldn't show an invoice, because it belonged to a Singaporean friend.

Edited by janclaes47

I still find it hard to believe that green books were able to be issued for all of these supposedly stolen cars.

someone up top knew that this was happening and let it happen.

Edited by Doiger

"After being told the car must be sent back to Britain, he became furious, claimed to be a former politician of a major party and threatened to sue the whole investigation team, the source said"

Seems an ordinary citizen carries little threat on suing the Govt. One must first raise the placard - "Do you know who I am?".

Edited by trogers

23 minutes ago, than said:

In the West, buying a stolen object is becoming an accomplice of theft, is committing a concealment.

In such cases, theft is committed as a result of a specific order.

Now this "politician"  must prove his good intention, and give evidence he doesn't know this car was stolen if he not want to be prosecute.

Finally, I not sure he could retrieve his car. 

I believe that in the west a person is innocent until proven guilty.  Assuming he bought the car in good faith then he  has committed no crime.  But you cant own something which is stolen so the car has to go back to the rightful owner.

12 minutes ago, trogers said:

"After being told the car must be sent back to Britain, he became furious, claimed to be a former politician of a major party and threatened to sue the whole investigation team, the source said"

Seems an ordinary citizen carries little threat on suing the Govt. One must first raise the placard - "Do you know who I am?".

Not so many 'ordinary citizens' happen to own a Lamborghini or such anyway.:sleep:

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

After being told the car must be sent back to Britain, he became furious, claimed to be a former politician of a major party and threatened to sue the whole investigation team, the source said. 

There must be different laws for politicians.

3 minutes ago, Doiger said:

The previous uk owners probably don't want them to be found.

they have probably already been paid out by their insurance companies and got brand new cars.

Then the car belongs to the insurance company.

1 hour ago, Tilacme said:

He may be a damaged party but he needs to take that up with the person he bought it off and the DSI may be able to assist with that. 

In the meantime the car must be returned to its rightful owner in the UK.

I presume it would go to the insurance company and be auctioned off, but yes, they should be returned to the UK. 

If someone has bought in good faith from one of the many import dealers, this would be a shitty situation ?

5 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

I presume it would go to the insurance company and be auctioned off, but yes, they should be returned to the UK. 

If someone has bought in good faith from one of the many import dealers, this would be a shitty situation ?

Yes if the insurance company had paid out then they will be mighty keen to get the car back.

Yes its a shitty situation for the good faith purchaser who has to ask for a refund from the dealer. 

14 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Yes if the insurance company had paid out then they will be mighty keen to get the car back.

Yes its a shitty situation for the good faith purchaser who has to ask for a refund from the dealer. 

I think someone posted the other day about how the game works. I would guess most of the cars were stolen to order. Although unlucky if you bought it in good faith as second or third-hand owner.

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I think someone posted the other day about how the game works. I would guess most of the cars were stolen to order. Although unlucky if you bought it in good faith as second or third-hand owner.

The original UK owners no longer have a dog in this fight. The wrangling will be between the insurers who paid out "in good faith" on these 'stolen to order' cars and the perpetrators of the thefts in the UK, be they British or Thai.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The original UK owners no longer have a dog in this fight. The wrangling will be between the insurers who paid out "in good faith" on these 'stolen to order' cars and the perpetrators of the thefts in the UK, be they British or Thai.

Exactly. There weren't actually any genuine UK owners.

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

One of the reasons this is happening is because British plod have been pressing the Thais after they uncovered the scam going on in the UK.

They were given a choice, be exposed in British media for allowing this to happen and lose face or lead with the front foot and stop it. 

As I explained in another thread, the cars are bought on the never never in the UK, they are then sent over to Thailand and a month or so later the owner reports the car stolen to the UK authorities. They insurance pays out and that's the end of that. The cars are then held by Thai Customs in Laem Chabang until they can 'negotiate' a price for them and issue paperwork, sometimes the cars will sit there for months or even years, then once the paperwork is completed, often at much less tax than should be paid, they are released either to the new owners or dealers and end up on showroom floors in Bangkok. 

Which does nothing to explain why the case wasn't pursued under the PTP government.