English teacher "wais" and says sorry for attacking a primary school student - but now faces immigration enquiry.

rooster59

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

In my home country the nationality of any thug who struck a child would be less a consideration than the actual violence itself. 

Yes... but once again, this is Thailand and you must subscribe to the general mantra that they really don't like us here.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Many English teachers do not possess teaching qualifications. I met 1 who was a carpenter back in the UK but in Thailand he is an English Teacher.He is not the only 1.My friend's son is teaching in Chiang mai.Many more ..same same....??why the fuss now or is it to punish him?

Possibly the fuss is because he grabbed a child by the throat?

4 hours ago, saakura said:

The way he is dressed, hardly looks like a school teacher.

Article doesn't say where he is from, but he looks South Asian, Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani.

5 hours ago, Suttisan said:

not to mention the fact that the thai teachers don't like you because the reason you're there is because their English is worse than tarts. 

:cheesy:

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

He is not Thai; think of your home country parents' outrage if a foreign teacher grabbed and kicked their children; especially if that foreigner would have been of a different religion. And, I applaud the police for checking on his immigration status and teaching credentials.

"And, I applaud the police for checking on his immigration status and teaching credentials"

Nice to see the police doing something where there is no tea money involved.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

He is soon to be on a flight home is my guess.

No, no. There's plenty other options for his questionable skill sets in any one of thousands of provincial Thai schools. failing that, as someone else mentioned, there's always the Cambodia option.

Why was he not named? does not look like he comes from an English speaking country does he, more like an East European. Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts preying on kids. Quite a few of them need booting out of the country.

Edited by Orton Rd

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

jaltsc has his opinion and I have mine. My opinion comes from 30 years of teaching experience in both the US and Thailand. - if what was reported did happen he put his hands on on a child not his own and kicked him, he would be in extremely serious trouble in the US, that would begin with his license being revoked. He just opened himself up to being put in a thai jail and I would support that decision assuming the allegations are true. Jaltsc focusing on waiing is nothing less than insensitive jaltsc what if that was your child?

5 hours ago, Suttisan said:

I think we can all agree that sort of money just isn't worth it, not to mention the fact that the thai teachers don't like you because the reason you're there is because their English is worse than tarts. 

And there was me thinking they didn't like farang teachers because farang teachers speak Thai like a bargirl.

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Why was he not named? does not look like he comes from an English speaking country does he, more like an East European. Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts praying on kids. Quite a few of them need booting out of the country.

How can you tell he is not from an English speaking country because of the way he looks?

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Why was he not named? does not look like he comes from an English speaking country does he, more like an East European. Most teaching English here, or pretending to, are unqualified or perverts praying on kids. Quite a few of them need booting out of the country.

Actually he looks like a bus mechanic I met in a pub in Accrington.

Labeling, labeling... always the labeling.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

I taught six years in gov schools..only 10% of the students want to be there to learn...

He crossed the line and should be fired or given a life time contract...

In my teaching experience of three years, one in Mattayom school, and the other two in a Prathom one. I would say that only a small minority of boys wanted to learn while the majority of girls did.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

In my home country the nationality of any thug who struck a child would be less a consideration than the actual violence itself. 

I did not say nationality would be the major consideration and I doubt whether corporal punishment of students is as acceptable in your country as it is here in Thailand. However, I'd wager in most European countries and in the US if the teacher were foreign and a different religion, like a Muslim, foreign or not, there would be more of an issue. Hence, my comment.

54 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I do not agree with hitting children, but the article fails to explain what the student did to the teacher.

If ie, the student attacked the teacher, particularly in a Prathom school, there was still no need for violence, the teacher should be capable of holding the student back.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

In my teaching experience of three years, one in Mattayom school, and the other two in a Prathom one. I would say that only a small minority of boys wanted to learn while the majority of girls did.

You were teaching English?

Just now, smotherb said:

I did not say nationality would be the major consideration and I doubt whether corporal punishment of students is as acceptable in your country as it is here in Thailand. However, I'd wager in most European countries and in the US if the teacher were foreign and a different religion, like a Muslim, foreign or not, there would be more of an issue. Hence, my comment.

Misread your post then. 

I thought you were implying nationality would be a major factor and make the act of violence somehow worse. 

My mistake. 

50 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

Maybe... many do...but anyway let's not start the whole ruck of "teachers" with fake degrees, no work permits (often because the school won't supply them), working on retirement extensions or tourist visas where it clearly states employment prohibited. But TIT!!!!!!

The whole Thai education system would crumble!!!?

Personally I don't see why you would want to bother teaching in Thailand for s**t money, long hours and treated as second class. I gave up teaching in the UK because the teachers had less rights than the most of the naughty kids..but they had ADHD so that was ok then plus long hours, no respect but decent pay.

Why stress yourself out in Thailand when we came here to relax from the rat race.

Yes I know there are some legitimate teachers out there!!!! So please don't whinge.

On another note I could not help but chuckle at the mothers name of "suay". Now I might not have my beer goggles on but maybe in her younger years...?????

Another member of the "lazy typists" brigade. What does ADHD stand for?

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

while the teacher was legally in Thailand there are irregularities about his teaching qualifications.

Wouldn't that apply to the majority of English teachers here?

For sure it does to the majority of English teachers I'm aware of.