Latest "Uber misunderstanding" as woman surrounded by taxis and red bus in Chiang Mai.

rooster59

Latest "Uber misunderstanding" as woman surrounded by taxis and red bus in Chiang Mai.

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ1NC8yMjcxOTYyL25ld3MwNC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A female member of the public has gone on Facebook to complain at how she was surrounded by angry taxi drivers and a red bus who claimed she was working for Uber.

But the woman was just picking up a Chinese client who was going to rent a condo of hers in the city.

While the land transport department has dismissed it as "just a misunderstanding" the woman is angry with the drivers who Sanook said had not offered so much as an apology.

The incident mirrors one in Pattaya when several taxis chased a person they suspected of working for one of the illegal car companies and surrounded and threatened the innocent driver.

On this occasion the woman said that her Chinese customer, who could not speak English well, had turned up to wait for her early. It appears this is when some taxi drivers nearby thought she was calling Uber.

When the woman arrived to pick her up she was instantly blocked in with a man saying "It's bloody Uber. Surround her!"

The woman explained the situation to the drivers and showed them the Chinese woman's phone to prove that she had not been calling Uber.

The land department brushed it off as a misunderstanding but no one apologized to the woman driver for the distress caused to her and her Chinese client, said Sanook.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-03

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The land department brushed it off as a misunderstanding

pathetic and pitiful; now we have to prove we are not Uber; this was a crime and the land dept (how does the land dept get involved?) apparently does not know this; we need to know stories like this to be aware of where we live and the people around us

so a foreigner standing on the roadside turns down a couple of taxis and a red bus, do all the drivers then hang around waiting to see her next move?

Then proof of not calling uber must be shown to these drivers..

Does it really work like that??

Uber had a booth right in front of big C at Fashion Island a few days ago when I was there.  

Is Uber legal or illegal ? I guess no one knows what kind of game is going on regarding Uber.

Monkey business , by letting Uber to be there and at the same time play a different game with transportation members. 

I am not really in favour of private persons offering some kind of taxi services.

But I am really disgusted with the official taxi services.

Not willing to use the meter, not wanting to serve a customer, and most of all these vigilante style actions would make me a fan of Uber.

And most of all, the authorities not doing anything against these taxi mob is simply awful.

the land transport department has dismissed it as "just a misunderstanding"  means?????

So if she was Uber-ing means it is OK for those drivers to attack her in that manner? This is an unjustified attack and most taxi drivers do not conform with the law and always ripping tourists off with the BLESSING OF THE TRANSPORT DEPT morally corrupt individuals if they condone such attacks?

4 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I'm sure this was reported some weeks ago..?

So not "news" more like "Olds" (and stirring up the keyboard cowboys yet again).

Regards,

Joe

I agree this is several weeks old.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

I am not really in favour of private persons offering some kind of taxi services.

But I am really disgusted with the official taxi services.

Not willing to use the meter, not wanting to serve a customer, and most of all these vigilante style actions would make me a fan of Uber.

And most of all, the authorities not doing anything against these taxi mob is simply awful.

I too am disgusted with the self-entitled behavior or the official taxi drivers.

Just last night I was kicked out of a cab because the driver decided he didn't want to go to my destination after all, we were 89 baht into the journey, traffic was clear.

I've used UBER and GRAB for the majority of my journeys this week with just one minor issue; an UBER driver accepted my journey then failed to turn up and eventually canceled. 

The regular Taxi's are UBER and GRAB's best marketing tools !...

That said: Last night when I tried to get an UBER or GRAB none were available in the area I was in, thus the regular taxi's proved invaluable, even if I did get kicked out half way into the journey !

2 hours ago, the guest said:

Uber is illegal, and so the taxi drivers have a right to defend their jobs, but in accordance to the law of course.

If using the legality argument take a closer look at the regular taxi's... 

They rarely have insurance, the drivers are often unlicensed or a different driver from the registered driver, they refuse the meter, refuse fares, some of the cars are downright dangerous and poorly maintained. 

So, if we are comparing legality - scores of regular taxi's are also operating illegally, but from a personal perspective they are much less safe than a regular UBER or GRAB. 

Of course, not all, there are number of good taxi's out there, but you take your chances and risk and issue or use the option known to be reliable and safe. 

Is it just UBER that's illegal?  Because I believe I have seen regular taxi's with the GRAB logo on them?

If the taxi drivers want a crackdown on uber why don't they just tell the cops to bust a few of them using undercover cops?  

Edited by pkspeaker

Let me see, usually TVF members are the first to slag off Thai people who do a job for which they are not qualified or licensed. Usually they call them mom and pop or Somchai.

Now they are all up to allow mom and pops, who may be got there driving license last week by paying some tea money, to play taxi driver and transport other humans in their vehicles.

So what's the real reason for this? Is it because they can save 25 Baht on a trip, or is it because Uber and Grab are foreign companies, because everything foreign must be superior?

Answers on a postcard, but you don't get my address.

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Let me see, usually TVF members are the first to slag off Thai people who do a job for which they are not qualified or licensed. Usually they call them mom and pop or Somchai.

Now they are all up to allow mom and pops, who may be got there driving license last week by paying some tea money, to play taxi driver and transport other humans in their vehicles.

So what's the real reason for this? Is it because they can save 25 Baht on a trip, or is it because Uber and Grab are foreign companies, because everything foreign must be superior?

10 trips in using both Grab and Uber I can honestly say that I've never received a better transportation service than these two. Safe, friendly, comfortable, cheap. All the things the current offering don't give you.

Chiang Mai public transportation is either broken or non-existent. I'm glad that others are stepping in to offer the service this town is craving.

Just now, Bassosa said:

10 trips in using both Grab and Uber I can honestly say that I've never received a better transportation service than these two. 10 out of 10 for all 10 trips. Safe, friendly, comfortable, cheap. All the things the current offering don't give you.

Chiang Mai public transportation is either broken or non-existent. I'm glad that others are stepping in to offer the service this town is craving.

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

In your haste to criticize TVF members you forgot the primary reason people are in support of UBER and GRAB... 

... We, the customer, are quite frankly sick and tired of taking taxi's and encountering the repetitive and tiresome issues.... 

It comes to the point whereby if we are planning to take a taxi we wonder what type of scam will be attempted or what issues we will face. With UBER and GRAB these issues disappear and life simply becomes more pleasant again. 

Why should we use a Taxi service which so frequently leaves distaste when the viable alternatives offer a much better level of service and reliability ?