Victims turn to police over Phuket Facebook pyramid scheme fraud

rooster59

Victims turn to police over Phuket Facebook pyramid scheme fraud 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1496463630_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Over 30 members of a Facebook ‘Share Group’ went to Phuket City Police Station yesterday to file a complaint against the leader of the group, who is said to be a local curry vendor, as she is alleged to have defrauded the group out of what police believe could amount to several million baht.

At 8pm yesterday (June 2), the group filed the complaint against Ms Sirikarn Ruprohjeen who is alleged to be behind the “Baan Wewa” Facebook pyramid scheme.

The complaint was filed after Ms Sirikarn closed all her Facebook and Line accounts after allegedly collecting some of the victim’s cash through ‘an intermediate’ as usual on the first day of the month.

Maj Nattaya Supanpong, an investigator of the Phuket City Police questioned the victims to find that there are a total of over 90 people involved in the group, some of whom live in other provinces and some even abroad.

There are over 90 people involved in this scheme and at this stage we believe that between them they have lost several million baht,” said Maj Nattaya.

Because there are many victims, and each were paying different amounts into different schemes, we don’t yet know the exact amount,” Maj Nattaya added.

Ms A, one of the victims and a representative for the victims reporting the complaint, said, “The Tao (leader) set up the page ‘Baan Wewa’ at the beginning of this year and I have been paying money into the scheme since then.

The group was running as usual until this month when she did not transfer the money to the “Luk” (monthly recipient), so I tried to inquire about this via private messages. These messages were ignored and then her Facebook and Line accounts were shutdown.

After realising this I started a Line group to gather information about this ‘Luk Shares’ group and started planning what I could do about it,” she said.

I know that the leader of this group (Ms Sirikar) is the owner of a curry and rice restaurant in Phuket. She does not have a store, she works by delivery only.

She managed to make this group known to many people...some are her customers, and they invited their friends and family to join, and it spread,” Ms A added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/victims-turn-to-police-over-phuket-facebook-pyramid-scheme-fraud-62433.php#MqgPTOUCWrj6Cvhq.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-03

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I'm sure the coppers first question upon hearing of the complaint must have been "How could you all be so incredibly stupid?"

Nope.... What's in it for me?

FB scams, how many times have they been told facebook is used by scammers as they do not have the ability or the money to create a real websites and with FB so easy to set up and close.

If stupid uneducated people who are greedy want to continue this practice let them and long my they all be scammed as they deserve it.

These "share" clubs are ubiquitous in Thailand. I am yet to hear of one that didn't end in acrimony one way or the other. Yet the locals still think they are fantastic. I struggle to understand.

Perhaps it is the same fascination that the lottery holds. The payout is a mere 60% on the Thai lottery, add to the overpriced tickets and the payout is a measly 50% but it remains extremely popular. I don't understand the fascination. I must be cut from a different cloth.