Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

On 6/5/2017 at 4:03 PM, bheard said:

Can't see that it's idiotic.
What is idiotic is coming to Thailand as a tourist without travel insurance.

Travel insurance is a waste for most seasoned travelers, however MEDICAL Insurance to cover you abroad is not.  Big difference. 

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Chao Lao Beach said:

Travel insurance is a waste for most seasoned travelers, however MEDICAL Insurance to cover you abroad is not.  Big difference. 

???????????????????????????????

what a totally weird comment

I agree. Travel insurance normally gives you very good medical cover. I was just having a look at the travel insurance that is provided by the Post Office in the UK. The usual baggage insurance, cancellation, losing cash/passport etc plus £5 million medical insurance. Standard policy for me and my wife, £118 for a month. I don't think I've ever seen a travel insurance policy that doesn’t include medical insurance.

33 minutes ago, rasg said:

I agree. Travel insurance normally gives you very good medical cover. I was just having a look at the travel insurance that is provided by the Post Office in the UK. The usual baggage insurance, cancellation, losing cash/passport etc plus £5 million medical insurance. Standard policy for me and my wife, £118 for a month. I don't think I've ever seen a travel insurance policy that doesn’t include medical insurance.

Sure, but they (?) want to make it compulsary for Thailand. How are they going to check the fine print (what are the exeptions)?

I can't even understand the fine print in MY language....

If this would be enforced, it would only be a money maker for immigration officials and / or Thai insurance companies.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Sure, but they (?) want to make it compulsary for Thailand. How are they going to check the fine print (what are the exeptions)?

If this would be enforced, it would only be a money maker for immigration officials and / or Thai insurance companies.

Nonsense. Usually you get an insurance card or a small paper print that sums up your insurance covers.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The hospitals checking that for you b4 they do any move, and once they learn your covered, they gonna milk the insurance company like there is no tomorrow.

After a scooter crash last year, I got first patched up in the local governement hospital, 730 bath, including 2 x-rays.

The same bill in the insuranced covered hospital run into 22000, they did nothing more than redo the patches, and put an displaced finger back in place. And on the top they put a to tight cast on which gets only better after almost a year.

12 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

???????????????????????????????

what a totally weird comment

Nothing weird about it at all. I have travelled with medical insurance for years....never bothered with travel insurance. How much is it for 9 months?

5 hours ago, jethro69 said:

The hospitals checking that for you b4 they do any move, and once they learn your covered, they gonna milk the insurance company like there is no tomorrow.

After a scooter crash last year, I got first patched up in the local governement hospital, 730 bath, including 2 x-rays.

The same bill in the insuranced covered hospital run into 22000, they did nothing more than redo the patches, and put an displaced finger back in place. And on the top they put a to tight cast on which gets only better after almost a year.

How long were you in hospital? How much were you out of pocket? If the insurance company accepted your claim..then no problem...All good.

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The same way auto insurance companies are licenced through a state and coverage must meet minimum criteria when issuing auto insurance.

I buy travel insurance that covers me for unlimited medical only. All the add ons are non existent on the policy. I do this because I my clothes, camera and phone are worthless products and I am happy to replace these myself at cost. The medical is all I need. These policies are surprisingly quite cheap. I would never trust any Thai insurance that you would be forced to buy at the airport. 

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Nothing weird about it at all. I have travelled with medical insurance for years....never bothered with travel insurance. How much is it for 9 months?

yes it is weird, your comment also

listen, Thailand receives tourists from all over the world,

from myriad countries in Asia and the Pacific

from both north and south America

from myriad countries in Europe

Arab countries

Kaek countries

African countries

you two speak of med ins and trav ins as being standardized issues, homogeneous across the world

what you call med ins wherever you come from does not necessarily match what is understood by

med ins on Fiji

you talk as if all insurance products in the world are structured in accordance with what you shop

that is weird and it is very far from correct

1 hour ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

Curious ... for those of you who live in places like the UK and Canada, where healthcare is guaranteed ... how do they handle foreign tourists needing medical care? Is it free, billed or do they require payment upfront?

In Australia they would be taken to a Public hospital and be treated immediately. Then they would be billed. Nothing to stop them flying out the next day and not paying though.

52 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes it is weird, your comment also

listen, Thailand receives tourists from all over the world,

from myriad countries in Asia and the Pacific

from both north and south America

from myriad countries in Europe

Arab countries

Kaek countries

African countries

you two speak of med ins and trav ins as being standardized issues, homogeneous across the world

what you call med ins wherever you come from does not necessarily match what is understood by

med ins on Fiji

you talk as if all insurance products in the world are structured in accordance with what you shop

that is weird and it is very far from correct

Not at all. I have medical insurance. I think medical insurance is useful for all nationalities.  I understand why the Thai government might have an interest in this area.  I have no idea why they should be intersted in me or anybody else having insurance for delayed flights, for stolen items and for lost items. Travel insurance might include medical insurance but I believe many inexperienced travellers are using the wrong term. You might think I am weird but I do not need travel insurance. I need medical insurance.  What is weird is accepting the daft idea that the Thai government want to force me to insure against lost luggage etc. May I ask what kind of insurance you have? You might find your house insurance covers you for lost and stolen items. You might find your bank gives you free travel insurance.  

1 hour ago, bmanly said:

In Australia they would be taken to a Public hospital and be treated immediately. Then they would be billed. Nothing to stop them flying out the next day and not paying though.

In Thailand they Take your passport.

1 hour ago, bmanly said:

I might also add, I have travelled to over 50 countries in my life time and not one has ever required me to have travel insurance. Why is Thailand the only country wanting this?

I think they mean medical insurance not travel insurance. 

2 hours ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

Curious ... for those of you who live in places like the UK and Canada, where healthcare is guaranteed ... how do they handle foreign tourists needing medical care? Is it free, billed or do they require payment upfront?

No. The NHS gets ripped off for millions every year.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

I think they mean medical insurance not travel insurance. 

Then I will re phrase it, why is Thailand the only country that I have travelled too that is thinking about bringing in compulsory medical insurance? None of the other 50 + countries I have been to require this?

3 hours ago, bmanly said:

I might also add, I have travelled to over 50 countries in my life time and not one has ever required me to have travel insurance. Why is Thailand the only country wanting this?

as far as I know;

all Thais travelling to Europe (Schengen) need a visa, an insurance for the period of the visa must be shown before visa is issued

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Not at all. I have medical insurance. I think medical insurance is useful for all nationalities.  I understand why the Thai government might have an interest in this area.  I have no idea why they should be intersted in me or anybody else having insurance for delayed flights, for stolen items and for lost items. Travel insurance might include medical insurance but I believe many inexperienced travellers are using the wrong term. You might think I am weird but I do not need travel insurance. I need medical insurance.  What is weird is accepting the daft idea that the Thai government want to force me to insure against lost luggage etc. May I ask what kind of insurance you have? You might find your house insurance covers you for lost and stolen items. You might find your bank gives you free travel insurance.  

my point is;

you say medical ins unqualified, we are here talking about maybe a hundred different countries, if not more,

the term medical insurance does NOT mean the same across the board the same goes for the term travel ins

me personally? I use travel insurance, have used the same company for 30 years and am quite simply very pleased.

the medical coverage is excellent (limit less)

and it does not bother me the least that my camera and mobile is insured for theft/loss, even if of no interest

Archived