Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, autanic said:

Perhaps, but this is just one more measure in a long line of measure to put up hurdles. 

One of the things that attracted me to Thailand years ago was the "Happy go lucky" attitude of the Thais. 

Naive, not at all, I left the UK for a reason, even though I am back here visiting at the moment.

Yes, years ago the "Happy go lucky" attitude was prevailing almost every where. But today...? So singling out TH is not really correct IMHO. Some 'developed' countries have worse regulations and procedures.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ravip said:

Here is some information a majority seems to be unaware of according to the abusive comments in this thread  >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

Now, can we call the Shengen countries the same names?

Really, people should be ashamed of oneself for stooping to such levels...

:shock1: 

You are so right !!!

5 hours ago, ravip said:

Here is some information a majority seems to be unaware of according to the abusive comments in this thread  >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

The Truth sounds like hate, for those who hate the truth. 

Global Guy: I was an ambulance driver in San Diego in 1968-69.  I clearly remember my frustration when I pulled into Mercy Hospital with a patient who needed immediate attention only to be stopped at the door of the emergency entrance by a nurse with a clipboard who had to get all of the payment information before we were allowed the enter the hospital.  It's not only Thailand that requires payment guarantees up-front.  I never took in an unconscious patient but I feel sure that they would be looking for ID and insurance cards ASAP.  As I remember, County would let us take the patients straight in but the private hospitals wouldn't.  This may be shocking to people who assume that American hospitals provide treatment first and arrange for payment later.  Mercy Hospital would actually turn patients away if they didn't have the ability to pay and then it would be off to County.  The patients' condition was very worrisome when you couldn't get them the care that they needed promptly.  So far as I know, the ambulance company was never sued over this.

9 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Global Guy: I was an ambulance driver in San Diego in 1968-69.  I clearly remember my frustration when I pulled into Mercy Hospital with a patient who needed immediate attention only to be stopped at the door of the emergency entrance by a nurse with a clipboard who had to get all of the payment information before we were allowed the enter the hospital.  It's not only Thailand that requires payment guarantees up-front.  I never took in an unconscious patient but I feel sure that they would be looking for ID and insurance cards ASAP.  As I remember, County would let us take the patients straight in but the private hospitals wouldn't.  This may be shocking to people who assume that American hospitals provide treatment first and arrange for payment later.  Mercy Hospital would actually turn patients away if they didn't have the ability to pay and then it would be off to County.  The patients' condition was very worrisome when you couldn't get them the care that they needed promptly.  So far as I know, the ambulance company was never sued over this.

Lol.  Laws have changed a bit since 1969, and your information is not accurate. Hasn't been since 1986 matter-of-fact.  Emergency rooms in the U.S., public or private, can't legally turn away anybody anymore for emergency care.  (Private hospitals can turn away non-emergency patients.)   Either find an illegal and ask them or Google 'EMTLA '.

Anywho.....    this topic was started back in early June.  Has there actually been anything further on this?

On 12/10/2017 at 2:42 AM, ravip said:

Yes, years ago the "Happy go lucky" attitude was prevailing almost every where. But today...? So singling out TH is not really correct IMHO. Some 'developed' countries have worse regulations and procedures.

I am pointing the finger directly at Thailand. Jump to the defence of the realm if you please, but the policies of the Government are not Tourist Friendly and there is just no defending that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all been said before. Never work.

Levy an insurance tax upon entry b500 which will cover clinic visits, vaccines, accident and emergency care. Good in all hospitals save for top three privates.

Excludes accidents on scooter rentals. Covers all other transport including Moto taxis.

Nothing but a huge slush fund

42 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I've not had a credit card in decades although now I have a joint with wife the primary holder. I hate debt and credit. 

Me too. Debit card only. Never had a joint account of any kind.

10 minutes ago, djjamie said:

It is about time Thailand started mirroring Europe's visa requirements.

Yep, Thailand should give all foreigners free citizenship, homes and welfare, just like we do.

(Apart from those married to locals, they can all do one)

On 10/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, ravip said:

No requirements for those married to EU citizens. Apart from the marriage certificate.

On 6/5/2017 at 12:54 PM, Orton Rd said:

Idiotic, it's bad enough now with the Chinese at DM, imagine the 'queues' for insurance machines, folks with no baht, arguing, kids crying, machines breaking down, laughable.

'The requirement is seen as helping to reduce the burden on Thai hospitals who are being forced to treat an increasing number of insured foreigners.'

No problem then according to the article if foreigners are insured why is it costing Hospitals?

queues mentioned are just the start; imagine the lines at immigration where imm officers are trying to check insurance policies in other languages and trying to explain the policy to people speaking other languages and people getting mad at the point of being turned away; 

also the immigration officers, already a surly lot, now have added unpleasant duties;

also, imagine expats, not privy to this new proposed law doing their visa runs and shopping outside and being rejected at re-entry, think they wont get pissed off ?

3 hours ago, torrzent said:

Not so...many European countries such as France require proof of medical insurance for those applying for a visa from overseas....

That's all well and good when a visa has to be applied for before travel and the insurance can be checked as part of the visa application, but where you have a visa exemption as does Thailand, that means that all those insurance forms with all their attendant small print have to be checked at immigration, which would lead to massive queues, as if it wasn't bad enough already. The only solution is either to make everyone get a visa, which would decimate the tourist industry, or have kiosks or machines where you have to buy a voucher for 500 Baht or whatever which would go into a central fund to cover hospital treatment for those unlucky enough to need it. That should be to cover basic care in government hospitals, which would mean that most people would still opt to buy travel insurance which would guarantee better service in private hospitals, thus relieving pressure on the fund.

The other factor that has been pointed out several times in this thread is that for someone in their late sixties or early seventies (and that age group make up a significant proportion of visitors to Thailand), health insurance would be very difficult (if not impossible) to find at a reasonable price, so insisting on insurance would deter that high spending group from choosing Thailand as a destination.

No, if they're going to do anything at all, they should insist on everyone paying a fixed sum on arrival. It doesn't have to be so difficult to implement - we used to have to pay 500 Baht departure tax, and that didn't cause any major problems. In fact they could just re-instate that system, and collect the money on departure rather than arrival, thus ensuring that everyone had Thai Baht to pay with. It doesn't make any difference if it's collected on arrival or departure - it still gets paid.

I think it's doable with online insurance offered by Thai govt, available online and at kiosks. There could be an intermediary channel before going to immigration to check insurance. The Thai govt would be the issuer and provide coverage at all hospitals and clinics save for the most elite.

Of course, clinics and hospitals will gorge on blanket - full coverage vouchers and the govt will then need defend itself against all sorts of fraud which in the end will be far, far more expensive than the rare farang doing a runner from a private hospital - which costs the govt nothing anyway 555.

Clearly a trial balloon from mafia insurance in league with govt crony's.

I'm thinking though Thailand has burned thru all it's goodwill toward North Asians, westerners, the people now visiting might very well need insurance. ASEAN, Iranians, South Asians, Central Asians, Russians, Chinese. Turkey and Greece have fallen apart.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 1:06 PM, eggers said:

As usual, a very "sketchy"  report from Thai Visa;  no detail as to definition of "foreign tourists", who does it apply to? Just short stay tourists? Other foreigners staying? 

its said for extension of stay

"The requirement is seen as helping to reduce the burden on Thai hospitals who are being forced to treat an increasing number of uninsured foreigners."

Being uninsured is irrelevant, pay in cash or the hospital will not provide treatment. It's a really simple concept; pay as you go.

Private hospitals in Thailand are profit based: no cash = no service.

Unless the article/report alludes to emergency treatment for accident victims who after a recovery or not, lack funds to pay the costs?

On 05/06/2017 at 1:02 PM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

I wonder why Thais despise you as you so claim. I guess they must have a very good reason because I have never experienced such. In fact quite the opposite. 

On 29/10/2017 at 7:35 AM, djjamie said:

It is about time Thailand started mirroring Europe's visa requirements.

Drunk westerners can ride their scooters around Pattaya at 100km/hr now with piece of mind.

Great idea.

Next, Thailand will have as many European visitors as Europe has Thai visitors.

Eeeeeuuuuhhhh, maybe think your plan over?

On 5/6/2017 at 7:37 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Impossible to enforce. Will never pass.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why not??? If you don't have a receipt or other proof of an insurance you can't buy an airline ticket. When at the border police/customs will check and if no insurance, there is no entry. Very easy to enforce!

Archived