Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has been brought up before, did not happen. Will I go to Thailand with compulsory expensive insurance or somewhere else. 

If the government produced their own low cost insurance cover they would make a tidy profit.

On 29/03/2018 at 9:57 PM, Media1 said:

Fake news these people will let the dead in lol. l won't be paying 1 Baht more

Don;t be so sure.

At present they have a fantastic track record of doing stupid stuff 

they very rarely disappoint. :cheesy:

On 3/21/2018 at 3:23 AM, Sonhia said:

I've always had to pay for every once of medical care I've reluctantly had to seek, whilst living in Thailand, even having to pay for one of those poorly maintained, death trap on wheels, mobile disco excuse of a 'state of the art' ambulance resembling something out of the dark ages, that should have been scraped years ago, not road worthy and driven by a crazed, look at me, immature petrol head, untrained medic, with a carefree attitude to all matter of life, probably intoxicated and resembling a tramp!

What level of REAL medical care / assistance would be offered to foreigners?

If I had medical cover, I'd expect professional medics, state of the art equipment, professional uniformed staff. A respectable, quite uncluttered, clean medical ward with privacy, not the usual family and friends, home from home party atmosphere rubbish, with people sleeping under ward beds, kids running about, with loud music playing and the usual loud voices booming out, with unruly, uncaring individuals!

Luckily for me, I've never been admitted into a Thai hospital. My observations are based on the many visits to Thai hospitals visiting foreign friends, who normally leave the hospital, dead!

The medical insurance (scam) for Foreigners, maybe a way of trying to prop up a health service under great strain due to a failing economy and lack of funding, with foreigners experiencing unfair plus sub standard levels of medical care? 

Scam springs to mind, as does the FARANG pricing system plus inequality demonstrated toward most foreigners.

Thailand is definitely not the place for you. Don't even think of it!

15 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My bank card gives me insurance. Most everyone has it through that already 

Woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

On 6/5/2017 at 1:13 PM, ezzra said:

Who are the people that comes up with such ludicrous ideas everyday just

to make tourist's life more difficult and sillier with every lame ideas?

what are they smoking I'd like to know, coz I want some too...

They seem to be on Haloperidol. Not sure if you'd like to smoke that...:vampire:

12 minutes ago, my friend I said:

Woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

You'll find foreigners without any kind of insurance in most bigger hospitals. 

On 6/5/2017 at 1:02 PM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

I wish I could get adequate insurance for 36K.  Last year BUPA, out patient only....53K.

I don't have any issues with them requiring we (long stayers and tourists) having insurance - BIG question is how will they monitor if adequate insurance cover is provided, logistically??

Their current health insurance requirements for OX visa (which was put forward by the same ministry quoted in the article) limits it to just 4 Thai companies - and the cover is limited to Thailand and its pretty atrocious coverage starting at 40k per year for a 53 year old (me).

What happens if you want better insurance with a more reputable international company or have insurance provided for already? I believe this would be another "scammy" tactic to line pockets of the Thai insurance cronies. Mainly because it would be impossible, logistically for an IO to go through your international insurance coverage policy - be it issued in whatever language (English, German, French, Spanish, Greek, Russian et al)

On 05/06/2017 at 7:02 AM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

I'm a pensioner, looking at your situation from 'Old Blighty', you have a bargain.

The UK would do well if it adopted similar border controls to Thailand as the NHS

is on the point of collapse. Try the waiting list, and the bed in the corridor, after

paying in all your working life..Hope you don't get Dr. Shipman.

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

You'll find foreigners without any kind of insurance in most bigger hospitals. 

You know this how? Visited most of the bigger hospitals in Thailand?

Of course you have not, yet again you make unfounded statements.

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Media1 said:

Fake news these people will let the dead in lol. l won't be paying 1 Baht more

Don;t be so sure.

At present they have a fantastic track record of doing stupid stuff 

they very rarely disappoint

Two things, if this happens, it is to make money, and perhaps, Perhaps, to help hospitals and tourists in Thailand and in that order. It is seen as a money maker first. Like a "departure fee" just a money maker to get a little more out of tourists, no matter what is said, for window dressing.

Secondly this idea has been discussed by other nations. However as it stands today, if one country starts then other countries will return the favor. IE Thai tourists will in turn be required to buy an insurance, travel Insurance to get a visa for certain countries. 

It might happen, but it will be  hard sell internationally and with consequences.

Secondly this idea has been discussed by other nations. However as it stands today, if one country starts then other countries will return the favor. IE Thai tourists will in turn be required to buy an insurance, travel Insurance to get a visa for certain countries. 

It's already a requirement when a Thai applies for a Shengen visa.

they is a case now of a traveller who thought the bank insurance was enough.had a accident not her fault.worked in the travel business too.waiting in hospital now for the op and money from the go fund me page.if she had the right policy then no issue for treatment.i always have the correct insurance and check the policy,so i think it is a good idea to have it before you leave.i think they are sick of people begging for help and the hospital treating them  then wait

11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Two things, if this happens, it is to make money, and perhaps, Perhaps, to help hospitals and tourists in Thailand and in that order. It is seen as a money maker first. Like a "departure fee" just a money maker to get a little more out of tourists, no matter what is said, for window dressing.

It might happen, but it will be  hard sell internationally and with consequences.

Yes, but think it would be a bad idea, as Thailand,

would just go, full steam ahead into rip off mode.

Maybe something along the lines of insurance before you can travel.

and not buy it at the boarder of the country you travel to.

12 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Dont thai citizens need medical insurance to get a Schengen visa? 

2 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Dont thai citizens need medical insurance to get a Schengen visa? 

The Schengen embassies deal with a limited number of Thais, they are up to their job and they are not corrupt.

The Thai embassies on the other hand.....

23 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes, but think it would be a bad idea, as Thailand,

would just go, full steam ahead into rip off mode.

Maybe something along the lines of insurance before you can travel.

and not buy it at the boarder of the country you travel to.

Agree buy before you go , l also understand if u r a backpacker hard to purchase travel insurance in there own country most insurers are a rip off or a legal scams , problem facing thailand they rely on backpackers not just so called " Quality Chinese tourist "as the thais like to say " chinese spend most of their money in china before they travel on 4 day invasion trip , insurance in some cases may be attached to your credit card that you use to buy your airline ticket ,  

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The Schengen embassies deal with a limited number of Thais, they are up to their job and they are not corrupt.

The Thai embassies on the other hand.....

I didnt know that thai embassies sold travel insurance...

5 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Agree buy before you go , l also understand if u r a backpacker hard to purchase travel insurance in there own country most insurers are a rip off or a legal scams , problem facing thailand they rely on backpackers not just so called " Quality Chinese tourist "as the thais like to say " chinese spend most of their money in china before they travel on 4 day invasion trip , insurance in some cases may be attached to your credit card that you use to buy your airline ticket ,  

I reckon Thailand would prefer to see the backpackers replaced by Chines tourists. Not talking about my views

Any tourist to any country that leaves with fewer £.€.¥.$ than they arrived with is a good tourist.

Insurance is a must though.

NEW Insurance Machine:

500 baht:  You will be 100% covered until you leave machine, or 11 seconds, whichever happens first

1000 baht:  You will be 100% covered for all accidents involving midgets who conjure lightning

10000 baht:  You will be 100% covered up to 100 baht, or 100,000 deducible, for injuries less than 10,000 .  

Since I don't understand the fine print and technical legalities of my travel insurance, and as the insurance companies are reluctant to give precise information, at long last I will have somebody to explain to me what is covered or not: the immigration officers at the airport and the Thai embassies (prior to granting visas) - surely they understand the conditions, and the various languages will not be a problem.

A simple travel insurance policy would almost certainly exclude a tourist from elephant riding, river rafting, rock climbing, zip wires, bungee jumping or trekking when the paths are wet.  With unsuitable footwear, with unqualified guide etc etc.

Hiring a motorbike, especially when the rider is inexperienced and extra especially if they do not wear a helmet.  Possibly even if they use a motorbike taxi if they have not checked the license and insurance of the driver.  Ditto tuk tuks or even taxis?  Paranoid?  Insurance companies looking for excuses not to pay out can go much further than these examples if they want.

The policies that may be offered by Thai authorities will be for what?

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2018 at 9:40 PM, oldhippy said:

Since I don't understand the fine print and technical legalities of my travel insurance, and as the insurance companies are reluctant to give precise information, at long last I will have somebody to explain to me what is covered or not: the immigration officers at the airport (...) surely they understand the conditions, and the various languages will not be a problem.

Imagine the queues! Probably all the way to the runways... ?

Archived