Divorce from Thai

Mansell

I need to know exactly what I need when I go to the amphur for a divorce from a Thai woman. I have been told I need a translated copy of my US passport, (but what pages nobody seems to know) I am getting the front page done, but I am hearing I may need copy of visa page or last time I entered the country......does somebody actually have recent experience in the last year? And then I have to take it to the US Embassy and have it stamped, I guess notarized. It is an uncontested divorce, no kids, or money. Thanks for any help.

The only thing I needed (December 2016, Banglamung) was the passport valid from the time of marriage,  no translations of anything.  Can't recall which pages were needed but the copies were all made in the amphur so no issue with that.

It all depends on whether you are getting divorced at the same amphur in which you got married. If it is the same one then all you need is a copy of the front page of your passport, but if it is a different one then you will probably need the translated copy which may be accepted with only the translators certified translation stamp or it may need to be stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As is usual in Thailand different amphurs interpret rules differently so I suggest that you go and ask them exactly what they need, to be sure. You will also need to take two witnesses with you to sign the paper.

HL

Edited by happylarry

When I divorced in April 2015 it was in a different Amphur office than where the marriage was registered in 1999.

There was no need, at that time, to have any of the passport copies translated or certified by the MFA, just my signature on all of the copies was accepted.

As Upnotover has mentioned, you do have to produce both your current passport and the passport that was valid and in use at the time of the marriage, if they differ.

The Amphur offices are connected via a database now, so the divorce process was relatively simple.