Video: Car driver backs down after bus driver produces a long knife from his underpants

webfact

Video: Car driver backs down after bus driver produces a long knife from his underpants

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager

BANGKOK: -- A video is doing the rounds of Thai social media that shows a car driver angling for a fight with the driver of a song thaew in Bangkok.

But as the middle aged driver moves to start a fist fight the young driver of the song thaew brings out a knife from his boxers causing the angry driver to back down immediately.

He mutters something like an apology in southern Thai dialect and gets back in his car as both drivers go on their way.

Some people online thought the incident was funny with a comment on "Mem Pho Dam" referring to the car driver saying : "He came as a tiger and left as a little rabbit".

But most netizens were appalled that a driver of a public service would have a weapon on his person saying it was both illegal and increased risk to passengers.

Louis Sappe asked: "What do the land transport department and the police have to say about this? Driving a public vehicle with a sword in his pants?"

The song thaew was going from The Mall Bangkapi to Rattanabandit University.

The video was posted by the owner of a restaurant in Lat Prao Soi 107 under the name Papangkorn StarBiker RouteCoffee.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-06

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys carry the knives because they drive so atrociously and with such disregard for other road users that they are expecting confrontation... 

...Mini-Vans 2m from your rear-bumper while traveling at 120kmh on the expressway.

...Workers pickups cutting you off without indication. 

...Taxi's forcing you to emergency break when pulling out in front of you.

One thing I am sure of, these drivers drive this way because a.) they are antisocial morons and b.) they have the backup of some weapon or other and believe they will get away with such actions. 

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

There is nothing else you can do if not ranting? You should really take some holidays...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why?  There's nothing wrong about wot he is saying?

Maybe u should take a holiday to a law abiding country. 

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

good to know who we share the roads with

I can understand why the bus driver has to arm himself with a weapon.The car driver is  a larger man and since he has a car he probably thinks that he is of a higher person then the bus driver and there fore in position to believe that he can command the road.In Texas there is a saying "God made men,Sam Colt made them equal".

this happened on a crossroad ,no traffic sign nor  traffic lights and no priority marks on the road........the 2 roads are of same good quality (cracked   concrete )and importance..........

in this case ,in most countries (also in UK) there is way of right.

The taxi driver came from the right ,and ,IMO had way of right .

The other car is more expensive and also claimed way of right.

The whole argument is about way of right, and nobody seems to know the answer to this

question in Thailand.Although many crossroads are like this and this rule is of most of importance in

case of doubt ,as this is .

I asked this question in the drivers licence center in Pattaya:some did not understand my question , some say :who comes first can go first?? or "big truck go first" or "fast truck go first"......There is a writing of the king where is written "way of left"........some years i look for this answer.

So if nobody knows it ,i am very careful and dont take any risk,i will stop if nobody is driving behind me !

BTW "Mem Pho Dam" means "ace of spades" 

I remember getting on a Thai long-distance public bus once and noting that there was a baseball bat on a bulldog clip next to the spare seat where the conductor sat. I think it is safest to assume in Thailand that EVERY driver is packing something other than a bunch of fives and act accordingly. Not a place to wave a middle digit without the likelihood of dire consequences.

32 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

I can understand why the bus driver has to arm himself with a weapon.The car driver is  a larger man and since he has a car he probably thinks that he is of a higher person then the bus driver and there fore in position to believe that he can command the road.In Texas there is a saying "God made men,Sam Colt made them equal".

He was armed before any conflict took place...

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He was armed before any conflict took place...

I doubt he was sat driving with that knife wedged in his belt - highly likely that his first reaction upon potentially entering a conflict was to pick up his weapon... 

It also seems that the Songthaew (sp?) was parked, obstructing the car... this leads me to question who escalated the situation ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I doubt he was sat driving with that knife wedged in his belt - highly likely that his first reaction upon potentially entering a conflict was to pick up his weapon... 

It also seems that the Songthaew (sp?) was parked, obstructing the car... this leads me to question who escalated the situation ?

I don't know who was in the wrong to be honest, probably six of one and half a dozen of the other.

However even if the weapon was in his vehicle, he came prepared for trouble.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't wish to change anything. Been here for over 14 years and like it a lot.

I just happen to believe people have a right to express a reasonable point of view.

Something apologists just can't accept.

One has to wonder why?

Where did I rant by the way?

Please be specific.

Some people believe that as we are 'guests in this country' we have no right to a point of view. 

What they fail to recognize that more often than not our point of view very closely matches that of those with whom we share the country.

Read any ThaiForum, especially Panthip.com and we can see exactly how closely the opinions of Thai people matches our own on virtually every topic we discuss on these pages... 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

These guys carry the knives because they drive so atrociously and with such disregard for other road users that they are expecting confrontation... 

...Mini-Vans 2m from your rear-bumper while traveling at 120kmh on the expressway.

...Workers pickups cutting you off without indication. 

...Taxi's forcing you to emergency break when pulling out in front of you.

One thing I am sure of, these drivers drive this way because a.) they are antisocial morons and b.) they have the backup of some weapon or other and believe they will get away with such actions. 

Not forgeting the remaining 95% of drivers that completely disregard & do all those manoevers mentioned above.