Which proof of onward travel needed when thai arrives to Europe on multiple entry Schengenvisa?

Schengen visa for 50 days. Flights Bkk - Helsinki - Bkk  are 60 days apart so visa is 10 days short of the Bkk Hel flights. Visa is multiple entry and this thai will visit outside Schengen area for more than 10 days by car so 50 days Schengenvisa is enough.

How she can get into to the flight Bkk - Hel? Which kind of proof she need to show to the airline that she will travel out of Schengen area? Is bus ticket enough? Train ticket? Or is flight ticket needed?

I already contacted airline ( Aeroflot ) but so far they just said they dont deal with visas. Problem is that airlines do deal with visas. They can be more strict than border control and refuse entry to the flight. I have to find better contact from the airline.

I already got reply from Schengen border control. They need to see credible intent of travelling outside of Shcengen area. Airlines requirements may require more clear proof.

In general what kind of proof of travel is needed when thai is checking in to a flight to Shcengen area in Suvarnanabhumi? For e.g. if thai takes one way flight to Europe I believe she need to show proof of onward travel in the check in. Which kind of proof is good enough?

As you say, for the border authorities a clear intend to leave the Schengen area is enough. A rerurn ticket per plane, bus, ferry, hot air balloon or any other type of transport from Finland to any country that she is almost certain to be admittes will do. This means if she hops over to an other country that has a visa requirement for Thai that they want to see this visa in her passport too. The benefit of this such as say a UK visa would ofcourse make it very convincing that she indeed intends to leave the Schengen area for a bit. 

A ticket would be the most convincing but a (transport and/or hotel) booking or reservation to outside the Schengen area plus the funds to pay for all this ontop of the financial requirements set for the stay in Finland should convince the border security. 

This leaves the checkin staff, whos job is not to check visas but who as you also indicate may do so and make up their own mind as what the borderguards may do. Sometimes they guess wrong since airline staff are understandibily not trained to know all the visa regulations from A to Z for all the countries in the world. Perhaps a letter from the Finnish immigration/MFA/border-security that they will accept clear indication of temporary leaving the Finland may help.

Edited by Donutz
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, scandinavi said:

Schengen visa for 50 days. Flights Bkk - Helsinki - Bkk  are 60 days apart so visa is 10 days short of the Bkk Hel flights. Visa is multiple entry and this thai will visit outside Schengen area for more than 10 days by car so 50 days Schengenvisa is enough.

Donutz is the most qualified on here about Schengen visas by a mile. He helped me with a lot of the info that allowed me and my wife to take a trip to Iceland earlier in the year but I have a question.

My wife's Schengen visa was for 8 days. Our trip was for 8 days. How can a Schengen visa be granted for 50 days? You then want to, to and fro to another country etc but you want to flyout of Helsinki 60 days after the beginning of a 50 day Schengen visa. Presumably you will have to enter Finland to get to Hlesinki airport to fly back to BKK after the visa has expired? How will that work?

Am I being stupid or do I have that right?

I assumed that the mulitple entry visa (MEV) is valid for say 1 year or longer. The OP can check by seeing the 'valid from' and 'valud untill' dates. Outside that window the visa is entirely useless , void and being in the Schengen areas when not within this window means you are in illegally stating in the Schengen area.

Now indeed assuming that the OP is very much aware that you can only use the visa for aslong as it is valid and that the visa might be valid for 1, 2, 3, 4 or the maximum of 5 years. The number of days granted might be 50, but that is per stay. So you could come to the Schengen area, stay 40 days, leave for a day, and come an other 40 days. The 50 day limit would be reset upon leaving the Schengen area. 

Though ofcourse the third limitation (besides for the expiry date of the visa and the number of days allocated per stay) is that one can never ever stay for more than 90 days in any period of 180 days. So even with a 5 year MEV you could not just do border crossings over and over and over again, which would effectively make a temporary stay sort of permanent. That sort of strange thing may work with the Thai visa rules, not the European rules. Those are clearly explained by most embassies, the EU and ofcourse the sticky topic. I hope I did not wrongfully assume that the OP has atleast is aware of the basics outlined there. 

To recap:  I think the OP's girlfriend may have a 1+ year  MEV, she comes for say just under 50 days, goes abroad for a bit, say a week long holiday in whichever country she is almost certainly going to be admitted to and then return for 10+ more days in Finland before returning to TH. That's perfectly legit and fine though you must make it likely that you will not do something silly like staying 60 days without interruption on a 50 day visa... 55555+

Edited by Donutz

I see. I read it that the visa was valid for 50 days total but further down the OP then said it was multi entry. I've only experienced a single entry for 8 days as I explained and I just wanted to know. 50 days see,med to be a strange length of time for a visa.

As far as i know you need to enter the country that gave you the Schengen visa first then leave and gotothe next Schengen country, if your next country is not in the EU you will need to get a visa for that country.

if your schengen visa expires before your flight back to BKK  makesure you are back   Back in Helsinc. Another point. I thnk with it a multi visa you will get a new 50 days whenyou go back in.

there is a expiry date on the visa. Check that.

53 minutes ago, shaurene said:

As far as i know you need to enter the country that gave you the Schengen visa first then leave and gotothe next Schengen country, if your next country is not in the EU you will need to get a visa for that country.

if your schengen visa expires before your flight back to BKK  makesure you are back   Back in Helsinc. Another point. I thnk with it a multi visa you will get a new 50 days whenyou go back in.

there is a expiry date on the visa. Check that.

That's not quite correct, you should apply at the Consulate with jurisdiction for your main destination within the Schengen Area, but you don't necessarily need to enter that member state first.

For example when my wife and I were visiting France and Italy, whilst we were entering Schengen via Paris we were going to spend longer in Italy than France, so she needed to apply for a visa from the Italian Consulate.
Also if you're leaving Schengen for another country for which the applicant needs a visa, that visa needs to be shown as part of the Schengen application.

Thats entirely correct You, though I think Shaurwne meant to say that on the first travel you will need to travel to the country that issued the visa (Though you may enter and exit the Schengen area via any memberstate). After that first trip, for additional trips to the Schengen area on that MEV, there won't be any obligation to visit the country that issued the visa.

On 6/7/2017 at 1:44 AM, rasg said:

Donutz is the most qualified on here about Schengen visas by a mile. He helped me with a lot of the info that allowed me and my wife to take a trip to Iceland earlier in the year but I have a question.

My wife's Schengen visa was for 8 days. Our trip was for 8 days. How can a Schengen visa be granted for 50 days? You then want to, to and fro to another country etc but you want to flyout of Helsinki 60 days after the beginning of a 50 day Schengen visa. Presumably you will have to enter Finland to get to Hlesinki airport to fly back to BKK after the visa has expired? How will that work?

Am I being stupid or do I have that right?

Schengen visas are valid for periods of up 90 days but it is unlikely that you will get the 90 days unless your itinerary indicates that it is necessary.

I have done 3 Schengen visas for my wife in recent years, Spain issued 14 day visa for a 7 day stay, Germany issued 3 day visa for 3 day stay and Malta issued 3 week visa for a 5 day stay. No real consistency.

These are the definitions from the handbook.

Period of validity: the period during which the visa holder may use the issued visa: Example: a visa is valid from 1.1. – 30.6, and during that period the holder may enter and shall leave the territory of the Member States.

Period of authorised stay: the effective number of days that the visa holder may stay in the territory of the Member States during the period of validity of the visa. The period of authorised stay may be from 1 up to 90 days.

Number of entries: refers to the number of visits that may be carried out during the period of validity of the visa while respecting the length of the authorised stay:

Example:

one entry: a visa is valid from 1.1. – 30.6 and allows for one entry. During that period the holder is allowed to travel once to the territory of the Member States; once he has left the territory of the Member States, he is not entitled to re-enter even if the total number of authorised days of stay have not been used.

two entries: a visa is valid from 1.1. – 30.6, and allows for two entries. During that period the holder may be authorised to stay for a total of 90 days divided into two separate trips.

multiple entries: a visa is valid from 1.1.-31.12 and allows for multiple entries. During this period the holder is allowed to stay up to 90 days per six-month period. The stay can be divided into as many separate trips as wished by the visa holder.

"Schengen visa for 50 days. " - Is this the period of validity or period of authorised stay?

Outward and return tickets should be within the period of validity in case you need to re-enter the Schengen area to catch the return flight that day. If the tickets are within the period of validity then no further proof should be required.

Sorry didnt tell the validity period of the visa in my first post. As you guessed the validity of the visa is several days longer than the whole trip, 80 days in this case. Within those 80 days she is allowed to stay 50 days inside Schengen area.

To get into Aeroflot flight it seems she needs to show tickets of travel outside of Schengen area after landing in Helsinki. She can enter Russia without visa but for that there has to be ticket out of Russia also. So all tickets to cover the whole trip have to be bought beforehand. Cannot make a car trip from Finland to Russia.

Still it is open if train ticket is enough for Aeroflot or if they need to see flight ticket. I think that train ticket from Finland to Russia should be enough but you never know.

Schengen border control dont have as tight rules as what Aeroflot has.

One Aeroflot staff member gave this answer:

In case she don't have return ticket, she plan travel

out of Schengen to other country, she must show other

ticket with date of trip under condition she should depart

from Schengen not over than duration of stay and show

us visa for next country(in case visa require) for make

sure that she can travel out from Schengen without problem.

One detail about the multiple entry Schengen visa is that allowed the duration of stay is not per entry. It is the sum of the days inside Schengen area during each visit. Not like multiple entry thai visa for e.g. 90 days stay per each visit.