Senior Society: Thailand to be aging society in 10 years

snoop1130

Senior Society: Thailand to be aging society in 10 years

By Coconuts Bangkok

98645.JPG

Photo: Eric Montfort/Flickr

The government recently revealed statistics showing that Thailand will become an aging society in a decade.

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security revealed that, by that time, people over 60 years old will make up 20 percent of the population while people ages 65 and above will account for 14 percent.

An aging society is one in which the median age is increasing.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/senior-society-thailand-aging-society-10-years/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-6-6

Finally the Thai government may think about  improving the infrastructure for the elderly and infirm.

Wheelchair access to shops and other buildings, proper footpaths suitable for wheelchairs and partially sighted, lift access to public transport, attendants to ease disabled access, provision of proper elderly healthcare, Braille and large type signs etc etc. 

This will be paid for by increased taxation of the rich, so.........won't happen.

18 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'An aging society is one in which the median age is increasing.' Thanks for the clarification, I'm sure.

Thailand does, though, have members of a government, well placed to provide input. 

Yes but unfortunately in Thailand there is no co-relation between age and maturity; particularly with males. Thus within government there can be a bunch of old farts who are still mentally in transition from adolescence to adulthood but who are making serious decisions that affect the Nation. 

"recently revealed statistics"

before now, who knew!

their birthdays?

so...... what they mean....it's an even bigger problem than we thought before....before... before.... 

and...... get ready for another "surprise" involving some kind of taxes or fees.... 

Edited by maewang99

42 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

The m gt has been there so long it  is starting to look geriatric?

And those behind it are decrepit old men living in cloud cookoo land and damaging the country more everyday they remain with us

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security revealed that, by that time, people over 60 years old will make up 20 percent of the population while people ages 65 and above will account for 14 percent.

An idea might be to stop issuing any new "Retirement Visas" to foreigners who don't already hold one and make more incentives for young foreigners in their 20's & 30's to come live in Thailand for a very long time. That might help reduce the percentage of the aging society in the country by a little bit and get some young blood into the country :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by bbi1

• 4 months later...
On Wednesday, June 07, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Beats56 said:

Well if they need more babies I can help. Won't be cheap though.?

I have already been offering my services for 100,000 baht for a Farang baby but no takers yet,could it be that they can't afford it or that I am over 65 years old with a six month old baby and they think she is my grandchild? Do I need a work permit for this?

Edited by hocuspocus
Pressed send too early

On 6/7/2017 at 8:55 AM, RPCVguy said:

For which wisdom, Thailand was honorably mentioned - towards the end of this address by Sir David Attenborough.

If you want people to hear his comment about Thailand it would be wise to indicate the time stamp to save us from falling asleep while trying to find it.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

But I thought the teen pregnancies were on the rise. The real problem might be how to cram 15 people on a square meter.

Teen pregnancies could be a reason for the general decline in the fertility rate of the population. You need about 2.4 for the population to remain stable. Once a teenager has lived through the "horror" of early pregnancy, she could be cured of the desire to produce more.

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Teen pregnancies could be a reason for the general decline in the fertility rate of the population. You need about 2.4 for the population to remain stable. Once a teenager has lived through the "horror" of early pregnancy, she could be cured of the desire to produce more.

You might be right. In addition to the one from the Thai who did the runner, the ATM farang next in the line only sires one more. That's still 0.4 short and I guess a luekkrueng only counts as 0.5, so make the tally -0.9.

Thais are doomed, get yourself one while the stock lasts :D

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

You might be right. In addition to the one from the Thai who did the runner, the ATM farang next in the line only sires one more. That's still 0.4 short and I guess a luekkrueng only counts as 0.5, so make the tally -0.9.

Thais are doomed, get yourself one while the stock lasts :D