C channel sizes for plasterboard ceilings.

KittenKong

Does anyone know the standard sizes for C channel here (if any) as used for plasterboard ceilings? I looked in Thai Watsudu but didnt really see what I was expecting to see.

I'm particularly interested in whether the type used in the UK is also available here. Dimensions there are 45mm wide x 18mm high with 6mm returns.

Pattaya? Sukhumvit road almost opposite Index is a Gyproc outlet. They have the biggest stock of anything drywall related that I have found. Also in Naklua on the main through road just by Tony's gym is another Gyproc outlet.
If these two shops dont have what you are after I very much doubt you will find it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm particularly interested in whether the type used in the UK is also available here. Dimensions there are 45mm wide x 18mm high with 6mm returns.

That sounds like the size holding up our ceilings. Without climbing up into the attic I cannot confirm. I'll try to have a look this evening.

Yes, it's for ceiling use. I'm told it's the standard UK size for that job.

I will try the Gyproc place mentioned.

I certainly felt that Thai Watsudu simply didnt have what I wanted rather than what I wanted not existing here at all. They did have a big selection of plasterboard types though, so it was odd. TIT.

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I certainly felt that Thai Watsudu simply didnt have what I wanted rather than what I wanted not existing here at all. They did have a big selection of plasterboard types though, so it was odd. TIT.

Definitely. I invariably have to visit Global, HomePro, MegaHome and others, plus the local Magic (hardware) Store to get all the bits for even a simple DIY job.

I do try to use the Magic Store whenever I can, they have all sorts of useful stuff, don't want them going out of business (and they are often cheaper than the chains). They are now used to the crazy farang turning up with photos / samples vague ideas :smile:

Case in point.

We need gutters for a patio roof (actually over the Thai kitchen and a sitting area). Global had suitable PVC guttering and downspouts (in white but beggars can't be choosers) but no end stops, joiners or pipe adaptors for the profiles they had in stock.

I didn't buy any, I think I can get the same galvanised stuff we used on the house from the local builders merchant.

On 07/06/2017 at 4:19 AM, Anythingleft? said:

Pattaya? Sukhumvit road almost opposite Index is a Gyproc outlet. They have the biggest stock of anything drywall related that I have found

I went to this place and they do have quite a lot of plasterboard products. Also a lot of (local) aluminium glazing profiles and parts, and a lot of glass and mirrored glass.

As for the particular C section that I was looking for, they had something somewhat smaller at around 38mm x 12mm but I think that may a bit flimsy for what I want it for.

So I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who has seen a different size in common use.

c_section.jpg

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As for the particular C section that I was looking for, they had something somewhat smaller at around 38mm x 12mm but I think that may a bit flimsy for what I want it for.

I did actually access the attic, then Wifey distracted me and I forgot to post. The stuff we have is the 38 x 12 that you have found.

It's pretty solid on a roughly 500mm grid with the hard gypsum (not what we in the UK would call plasterboard) attached with an air-stapler. One of the workers was actually up in the space without it falling down, not something this cuddly fat farang is going to try.

If your doing it yourself then pretty much any of the main grids will work if you use enough hangers then attach your furring channels. It soons becomes a rigid frame when you tie it together.
Unless your working to a code its not worth being overly technical with the material specifications (IMO)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

If your doing it yourself then pretty much any of the main grids will work if you use enough hangers then attach your furring channels. It soons becomes a rigid frame when you tie it together.
Unless your working to a code its not worth being overly technical with the material specifications (IMO)

I understand that and the thinness wasnt a real issue, just an aside.

In this particular case I am looking for channel that is very close to the dimensions specified in my first post in order to fit a specific type of imported hanger to them. As the channel here is a completely different size these hangers wont fit so I will have to do it a different way, probably by interposing some sort of bracket or some timber, or by sourcing a different sort of hanger that doesnt connect directly to the channel.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

One of the workers was actually up in the space without it falling down, not something this cuddly fat farang is going to try.

Hmmm. Rather him than me also.

Thanks for checking.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's pretty solid on a roughly 500mm grid with the hard gypsum (not what we in the UK would call plasterboard) attached with an air-stapler.

I was looking at these sheets. Having never been in close contact with them I had always just assumed that the board used was similar to European plasterboard as it looks the same on a pallet, but as you point out it isnt the same at all. Sheets here are much thinner (9mm) for a start, and much more rigid and dense.

I wonder if that has something to do with the humidity here or if there is another reason?

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder if that has something to do with the humidity here or if there is another reason?

It's certainly much more water resistant, we had a leak which came through to the downstairs ceiling, it just flowed out of a light fitting, no damage to the gypsum.

Our attic floor is the same stuff, I can walk on it.

Archived