1 year extension with passport that has less than 1 year left

Hi, Does the Chaeng Wattana office allow me to do a 1 year extension with less than one year left on my passport ? Do I get a shorter extension that will last as long as my passport? Or I can't do it at all? 

And do all immigration offices have the same policy about this?

If you apply for an extension with less than 12 months of passport validity it will only be issued to the date your passport expires. You will then need to apply for a new extension when the shortened one ends.

It has been a nationwide rule since it was issued in August of 2013.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you apply for an extension with less than 12 months of passport validity it will only be issued to the date your passport expires. You will then need to apply for a new extension when the shortened one ends.

Really? I though that you have to leave country 6 months before passport expiration date.

Or is this rule apply only on issueing  visas and not extensions?

1 minute ago, howard ashoul said:

Really? I though that you have to leave country 6 months before passport expiration date.

Or is this rule apply only on issueing  visas and not extensions?

Once you are in the country the length of your passport's validity is unimportant as long as it has not expired.

For getting visas it does matter.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

ok, So this could also be a way to change my yearly extension date if I like to do that? And you are sure Chaeng Wattana will allow me to get a new extension if I have 7 months left on my passport?

50 minutes ago, bangkoklasse said:

ok, So this could also be a way to change my yearly extension date if I like to do that? And you are sure Chaeng Wattana will allow me to get a new extension if I have 7 months left on my passport?

Yes and Yes

Just remember you will have to show all the supporting documents and other proof needed again to apply for another extension.

Also you are close to the required 6 month minimum requirement to enter many countries if you want to travel.

• Like 1

If your country allows it, and the U.S. does you can apply for a new passport when your old passport has only a  short time before it expires.

There is no minimum time you must have on your old passport, you ca apply at any time as long as your U>S passport is still valid.

Once you have a new passport you can then apply for a retirement visa with the new passport.

I have done it before.

Of course, it will cost you the same renewal fee as a new passport.

A new passport will of course, change the date of your retirement visa and it's annual renewal date.

• Like 1

I can apply for a passport without problem one day before it expire at my embassy. And I can also apply for a new passport after it is expired. But then I need to show a valid ID card also. 

Thanks for all replies

On 6/7/2017 at 0:44 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

If your country allows it, and the U.S. does you can apply for a new passport when your old passport has only a  short time before it expires.

There is no minimum time you must have on your old passport, you ca apply at any time as long as your U>S passport is still valid.

Once you have a new passport you can then apply for a retirement visa with the new passport.

I have done it before.

Of course, it will cost you the same renewal fee as a new passport.

A new passport will of course, change the date of your retirement visa and it's annual renewal date.

A new passport at my embassy cost 6000 baht. And 600 extra if I like to collect it at any consulate. A new extension cost 1900 baht

1 hour ago, bangkoklasse said:

A new passport at my embassy cost 6000 baht. And 600 extra if I like to collect it at any consulate. A new extension cost 1900 baht

Trying to fathom the logic, you will have to replace it sooner or later and incur the cost, the only gain by renewing it later would be in 10 years time?

On 6/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, bangkoklasse said:

I never leave the country when my passport is about to expire. I go to my embassy and apply for a new passport

You only have TEN YEARS to keep track on when your passport expires. And you can apply for renewal one year before it expires (in UK)

Edited by wgdanson

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Trying to fathom the logic, you will have to replace it sooner or later and incur the cost, the only gain by renewing it later would be in 10 years time?

It's every 5 year in my country. Which in real life only let me make four 1 year extensions with the same passport.

Another gain would be that I can change the date of my extension

Edited by bangkoklasse

They will only extend your retirement until the date your current  passport expires.

If that is not a full year that is when your next renewal date will be.

You will need to renew your passport before that date.

Then you will need to reapply for another year extension with your new passport.

I addition you need to be aware that certain countries in South East Asia require you to have  6 months minimum left on your current passport to enter them with a visa, and if you have less than 6 months left before your current passport expires these countries may deny you entry.

So be aware of, and pay attention to,  your passport expiration date, and take the steps needed to renew it when required.

10 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Whats the rule about getting  a new UK passport due to it being full long before the passport expires?

There is none.

You can apply for a new passport any time you want to and will have up to 9 months of validity from your old passport added to the new one.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is none.

You can apply for a new passport any time you want to and will have up to 9 months of validity from your old passport added to the new one.

Thanks for that do you need to go in person. I belive its out sourced here now any details. Also there used to be a bigger page passport in UK is this still available

Edited by jeab1980

33 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Thanks for that do you need to go in person. I belive its out sourced here now any details. Also there used to be a bigger page passport in UK is this still available

You have to apply in person at the VFS visa center in Bangkok.

Go through the steps here to find out how to do it: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You can get a 48 page passport for an additional fee.