Alternative to Cheap Charlie's?

DavidMavec

They all moved back to Hong Kongy darling.

God that old bird was irritating sometimes.

Edit: Mummy this and daddy that.

I only used to drop by to torture myself on the way home after a session in the old Pickled Liver when they had Cheap pints of Chang.

Yes yes those were the days. Used to enjoy a kickabout with the kids in the alley way back too.

Edited by RonniePickering22

The alternative is to buy a cheap beer from 7-11 and form a group of peeps standing on the sidewalk. Enjoy!

Thank you for your wonderfully thought out and well intentioned answer. However, the ambience there was great and I don't think this can be found if I follow your suggestion. That is why I am looking for places that have similar ambiances/crowds. Thanks again, very kind of you!!!

20 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Just pick a bar and not worry about getting mowed down by a car. Went to the place once years ago,1998, it was a pain in the rear. When a car came pick up your stool and hug the bar.

so you admit your comment is 20 years past relevant.

thanks for the effort. really.

A rather unique spot being in the midst of the normal tourist trade yet right by Nana as well.

In its later years it wasn't really that cheap either.

Looks like there is an opening for a straight up bar with crap seating and a woeful loo somewhere in the ghetto.

1 hour ago, DavidMavec said:

Thank you for your wonderfully thought out and well intentioned answer. However, the ambience there was great and I don't think this can be found if I follow your suggestion. That is why I am looking for places that have similar ambiances/crowds. Thanks again, very kind of you!!!

Your welcome, I'm always here to help. The ambience on the footpath is very similar to Cheap Charlie's. Just need to invite the same crowd to join you and bang, you have the same feeling as drinking at that place. Personally I think that 7-11 just about 50m up Soi 11 would be great as it has quite a bit of space in front of it to hang out :smile:

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Looks like there is an opening for a straight up bar with crap seating and a woeful loo somewhere in the ghetto.

Maybe a bar in one of the Klong's would do quite well. Standing positions only. If you need to pee no problems, just do it right there.

1 hour ago, DavidMavec said:

Cinema Winehouse 

Many bars along Phra Athit Road

<deleted> Bar on Sukhumvit 51 Alley

That's just a few places, there are many more.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Maybe a bar in one of the Klong's would do quite well.

2 hours ago, DavidMavec said:

I am looking for places that have similar ambiances

Locating a bar in a klong would certainly provide an abundance of (antibiotic resistant)  ambiances

pub.png.8727676cb0c7e532d3c11f768096ec03.png

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

The alternative is to buy a cheap beer from 7-11 and form a group of peeps standing on the sidewalk. Enjoy!

And the senior, Expat wank_ _s!

Edited by Kabula

It wasn't among my favorite bars but I had gone there every now and then. It was just okay I guess.....had a nice chat with some people some of the times I had gone there.

I miss the bars in the seedy lane between Sukhumvit Sois 5 and 7 more.

4 minutes ago, JemJem said:

It wasn't among my favorite bars but I had gone there every now and then. It was just okay I guess.....had a nice chat with some people some of the times I had gone there.

Cheap Charlie's, bars in the Soi 5 & 7 laneway. I know where to find all the previous crowds! They're clubbing at Swing between 5am - 12pm, if that place is still open.

16 minutes ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

The little bar next door to the kiwi pub soi 8 where the Charlie's are cheap not crowded with twenty year Olds and has a functional toilet.
Good place for a few beers before hitting Lolitas across the Rd.

We4you? excellent place, laidback, cheap, quiet,

one of the few beerbars around that is run by a kaek.

19 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

They all moved back to Hong Kongy darling.

God that old bird was irritating sometimes.

Edit: Mummy this and daddy that.

I only used to drop by to torture myself on the way home after a session in the old Pickled Liver when they had Cheap pints of Chang.

Yes yes those were the days. Used to enjoy a kickabout with the kids in the alley way back too.

Sarah you would be talking about, but you don't go back far enough when it was full of engineers and expat workers, not backpacker  tourists. Pickled Liver moved and was the Old Bell when it opened.

Was never the same after Charlie died.

I don't care where the "crowd" went.

7 hours ago, JemJem said:

Had some great nights in that one bar in the laneway between Soi 5 & 7 a few years back.  The one with the pool table on the left side as you walked in.  

Also had an weird experience there one trip. One foreigner was quite obviously drugged one evening, my friends and I kept tabs on him while he was incoherent on Soi 7 at dawn after he staggered out and collapsed in the street.

Realised later that he had been targeted - a woman we had seen at the bar with him overheard me telling my friends where I was staying and showed up to my hotel later that morning.  She tried to push her way in to the room, but my alarm bells started ringing and I forced her out and called security.  Didn't end up well for her.