Officials Are Checking For Narcotics In Traffic Checkpoints

Jai Dee

Officials are checking for narcotics in checkpoints

Permanent Secretary for Justice Charan Phakdeethanakul said the officials under the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) have been stationed in different traffic checkpoints during the “12 dangerous days” of New Year. They will help monitor drug-trafficking activities and inspect the motorists for illicit drugs.

Mr. Charan spoke about the operational plan to suppress drug trafficking between December 25 and January 5th, saying involved units have jointly developed this plan, and the Department of Juvenile Protection and Observation has selected youths from juvenile institutes to help campaign against narcotics.

Mr. Charan said narcotics such as “ice”, cocaine and morphine are spreading among teenagers.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 December 2006

...........the officials under the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) have been stationed in different traffic checkpoints during the “12 dangerous days” of New Year. They will help monitor drug-trafficking activities and inspect the motorists for illicit drugs.

And just what do they do the rest of the year?

Drugs are a problem 365 days a year. :o

i know our embassies will hate me saying this this

but

carry your passport at all times over this holiday or a colour copy of your passport

they even check passengers in taxi's

leave no excuses for these guys to take you back to the station

Edited by brazil

...........the officials under the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) have been stationed in different traffic checkpoints during the “12 dangerous days” of New Year. They will help monitor drug-trafficking activities and inspect the motorists for illicit drugs.

And just what do they do the rest of the year?

Drugs are a problem 365 days a year. :o

Well, I get searched regularly (monthly) by the Thonglo cops just because I'm walking on my home soi. Do they stop local thais, no. And I have never bought illegal drugs in Bangkok. They never ask passport or any ID, just complaint that you have only 500 baht how can you go anywhere???

carry your passport at all times over this holiday or a colour copy of your passport

Only a Black and White copy if you have a UK passport.

UK laws do not allow colour copies...................

I expect it is to do with preventing forgery, before someone asks.

Where I live there are regular roadblocks and checks scattered through the year. However, the New Year and Songkhran always see big checks for documentation, drugs and alcohol. Failure on these checks can result in a temporary stay in a cell. At holiday times this can easily be several days if unlucky. Most of these roadblocks are manned by a dozen or so officers and an on the spot "fine" is out of the question. Personally I have nothing against the police doing their job. If they can remove some of the drunken or drugged drivers from the roads at what is usually a time of mass carnage on the roads, that has to be welcomed.