Lithium-Ion battery on aeroplane ?

The airlines all have their battery rules posted .....check airline site. In general, as long as batteries are below a certain capacity, they can be brought as checked baggage (but must be in device !) or they can be brought as carry-ons separately as long as in a static free bag or the terminals taped over. What capacity if the battery ?

The airlines all have their battery rules posted .....check airline site. In general, as long as batteries are below a certain capacity, they can be brought as checked baggage (but must be in device !) or they can be brought as carry-ons separately as long as in a static free bag or the terminals taped over. What capacity if the battery ?

16v - 2000 mAh

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

16v - 2000 mAh

Should be no problem. Airlines generally have a 100 Wh limit. You battery is: (16 x 2000) / 1000 = 32Wh which is well under the limit. A typical laptop battery is 44Wh.

If you want to check it make sure the battery is inserted into the drill. If you want to carry on, can be in the drill or separate.

Should be no problem. Airlines generally have a 100 Wh limit. You battery is: (16 x 2000) / 1000 = 32Wh which is well under the limit. A typical laptop battery is 44Wh.

If you want to check it make sure the battery is inserted into the drill. If you want to carry on, can be in the drill or separate.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply tonray.

I traveled through the UK to Thailand from Canada last year. I had a bunch of Li-ion batteries for headlamps and

flashlights.In North America they want them in your carry on. I had no issues on departure. When I arrived in the UK

and passed through screening I was flagged. The EU/UK wants these batteries to be carried in checked luggage

I was told. They wanted to know the reason I had so many. (10, or so) I had to see a supervisor etc...I did

tell them the airlines should have a uniform policy. After 30 minutes they let me proceed with the batteries.

Of course I understand the issues. In Carry on they could shorted and used to start a fire. In checked luggage

if they are not stored properly with the terminals capped/taped they could short in your checked luggage.

Travel with the battery drained, capped and taped in your checked luggage. You will not be allowed to have a

drill/battery in your carry-on.

I traveled through the UK to Thailand from Canada last year. I had a bunch of Li-ion batteries for headlamps and
flashlights.In North America they want them in your carry on. I had no issues on departure. When I arrived in the UK
and passed through screening I was flagged. The EU/UK wants these batteries to be carried in checked luggage
I was told. They wanted to know the reason I had so many. (10, or so) I had to see a supervisor etc...I did
tell them the airlines should have a uniform policy. After 30 minutes they let me proceed with the batteries.
Of course I understand the issues. In Carry on they could shorted and used to start a fire. In checked luggage
if they are not stored properly with the terminals capped/taped they could short in your checked luggage.
Travel with the battery drained, capped and taped in your checked luggage. You will not be allowed to have a
drill/battery in your carry-on.

Yes, the problem is different airlines state different rules.
I will be leaving Heathrow on Malaysian airlines and the best info I can get so far, from Malaysian website, is to carry " spare" lithium batteries in carry on luggage. Of course as it states " spare" that could mean " additional " batteries and the original battery could be fit inside the unit in checked luggage ??, who knows ??

I have tried to call them, but after 30 minutes of waiting for an operator I gave up !! I will try again.

Barring this I can always ask upon checking in and a quick repack if necessary.

I have been dealing with this a lot lately on multiple airlines and each carrier website has their own rules which you should consult but generally speaking your battery can only be carried in a carry on not stowed and it will be fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close this thread:

I put drill in my checked bag and carried the battery, with terminals taped over, in my hand luggage without a problem through security at Heathrow and the gate security at KL.

Thanks for everyone who posted.