Pattaya Confidential! "Secrets" of the Central Festival Basement Food Court!

Jingthing

17 minutes ago, wump said:

I think he was talking about Central Food Hall (which is essentially a larger Tops)

5 hours ago, williewolf said:

Queue three times and get your remaining money back:partytime2:

It's only q twice, not 3 times, and if you look before you buy you know how much to put on the card, so once. Most times I go I don't have to wait.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So they lost a customer that was buying it. I can understand a 10 baht increase, not a 40 baht one.

Lots of shops taking the piss there. Just go some place else.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So they lost a customer that was buying it. I can understand a 10 baht increase, not a 40 baht one.

Don't you know the Thai mindset? If something is not selling well, they put the price up as they think it will make up for the shortfall. 

The prices (like most everywhere) have gone up over the years at this well trafficked basement food court.

The other day I spent 200 baht to eat there and I did think, wow for a little bit more I could have eaten in a real restaurant (forgetting discounts) and gotten better food. One reason I don't eat there very often these days ... so many better options.

Sometimes I'll have the khao soi as an appetizer and then eat something else later at a real restaurant. 

ANYWAY, the topic here of course is specifically about options in the Central basement food court. 

Edited by Jingthing

I just quickly browse and walk to the end and eat at Mickey D's. They have a double Big Mac, double fish sandwich and fried chicken. All of which aren't available in the states. The Thai food court, I can buy that stuff cheaper at the local markets.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Do you? Probably some places do, but there are some who expect you to use what money is left the next time to go there, within a short time.

I been in many food courts around thailand and always got my rest money back ... and by the way at the food court in central festival the top up card is valid 30 days ... not a short time or ?

Sent from my A0001 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2017-6-9 at 2:15 PM, alocacoc said:

Food Court? Are this the strange places where you have first to buy a card with some value on it to pay the food? No thanks. Not my way.

What a strange thing to say.

3 hours ago, wenzman said:

I been in many food courts around thailand and always got my rest money back ... and by the way at the food court in central festival the top up card is valid 30 days ... not a short time or ?

I have seen in some food court sometime they will have a 'promotion' with non-refundable card that might give you more money than you put in, or give some freebies like tissue or a drink, but usually this will be sold alongside normal refundable card 

On 6/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, alocacoc said:

Food Court? Are this the strange places where you have first to buy a card with some value on it to pay the food? No thanks. Not my way.

No big deal and there are food courts like this all over Thaikand ('wouldn't surprise me to find 'em in other countries in the region as well).  Hand over a wad of cash, get your ticket (it's really just a kind of debit card; you're comfortable with them, aren't you?), and whatever you don't spend you get right back.  'Couldn't BE a more practical or painless way for a food court to operate unless it were to GIVE the food away !

Edited by hawker9000

4 hours ago, wenzman said:

where ?

Sent from my A0001 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Big C Extra on Klang used to do it, but it's been a while since I eat there

Tesco in Bangkok do it with a top up machine even, in case where it's non-refundable the card can be used in multiple locations and last months

Anyway, before the days of cards and computers it used to be a book of paper coupons in denominations of 5,10 20 or 50 baht that you get, and change back from the shops are a pain I think these stall don't pay or pay very minimum rent, with the 'rent' being taken out of their sales in a form of percentage instead hence the system of paying cash to the mall/food court operator only

I went to the Food Court some years ago. Looking at the pizzas I did see a big Cockroach crawling over a Pizza. I left and did never returned. For good Thai Food I go to Maesri Ruen witch is just beside Central at Beach Rd.

3 hours ago, CHdiver said:

I went to the Food Court some years ago. Looking at the pizzas I did see a big Cockroach crawling over a Pizza. I left and did never returned. For good Thai Food I go to Maesri Ruen witch is just beside Central at Beach Rd.

Just don't go in any restaurant kitchen then, LOL.

I liked Took Lai Dee in Bkk as they cook the food in front of you. Unfortunately, they put the prices way up, so I stopped going there.

Here's a secret for you: there's actually *another* food court in Central Festival--for employees. It's much cheaper and I would imagine much better if you want Thai food. The only problem is it's not open to the public.However, this is Thailand...

Here's a secret for you: there's actually *another* food court in Central Festival--for employees. It's much cheaper and I would imagine much better if you want Thai food. The only problem is it's not open to the public.However, this is Thailand...

I wouldn't dare!

Only reason to visit the "overpriced"  food court is to try dishes from other countries, Russia , Japan, Vietnam and Korea are all represented.  But I miss Indonesia, I would pay good money for a decent Gado-Gado.

People seem to miss the whole concept of the card that these food courts use..............the entire concept is so that the individual stall DO NOT have to handle money. You put the amount of money on the card THAT YOU WANT TO ...you present it at the stall to purchase your choice of dish ...then before leaving you can ( if you wish) go back to the cashier and redeem the remaining money or keep the card for your NEXT visit.

The individual stalls dont have to handle money----they just cook the food and serve it up. All finances are settled at the end of each day.

And no queues if you time it properly.  a longer wait for the food to cook than to redeem your change.

First, in answer to the OP, last time I was there I had Salmon and white rice from the Japanese food vendor which was passable and better than most Food Court fare. I typically order chicken basil ka pao gai with egg, but this was a step up (in both quality and price). 

But my Thai Food Court quandary; There is typically a station where one can collect utensils (fork, spoon, chopsticks) for use with your meal. And a "pot" of boiling water nearby to sterilize said utensils. Okay, I get this. Management has conceded that the back room kitchen uses sketchy water and hygienic practices, so you probably want ensure that your utensils are in fact bacteria free by dipping them in the boiling water. Got it. 

But aren't the dishes, pots and pans used throughout the food court also washed in the same sketchy water? Are there large vats of boiling water somewhere for those to be dipped in as well? (I know a commercial dish washer with a sanitizer cycle is WAY too much to ask for). 

Probably not. We dip our utensils in boiling water so they are bacteria free when they come in contact with the not particularly hygienic food prepared in the not particularly hygienic kitchen and served on not particularly hygienic plates.

So why bother boiling the utensils!?! 

Edited by ftpjtm

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

First, in answer to the OP, last time I was there I had Salmon and white rice from the Japanese food vendor which was passable and better than most Food Court fare. I typically order chicken basil ka pao gai with egg, but this was a step up (in both quality and price). 

But my Thai Food Court quandary; There is typically a station where one can collect utensils (fork, spoon, chopsticks) for use with your meal. And a "pot" of boiling water nearby to sterilize said utensils. Okay, I get this. Management has conceded that the back room kitchen uses sketchy water and hygienic practices, so you probably want ensure that your utensils are in fact bacteria free by dipping them in the boiling water. Got it. 

But aren't the dishes, pots and pans used throughout the food court also washed in the same sketchy water? Are there large vats of boiling water somewhere for those to be dipped in as well? (I know a commercial dish washer with a sanitizer cycle is WAY too much to ask for). 

Probably not. We dip our utensils in boiling water so they are bacteria free when they come in contact with the not particularly hygienic food prepared in the not particularly hygienic kitchen and served on not particularly hygienic plates.

LOL. It's impossible to "sterilize" utensils in those water containers. To sterilize requires higher temperatures for a lot longer than a mere dip.

I just do it to remove any detritus that may have landed up on them.

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The water is more for your peace of mind

There was a study done and that tepid water is not helping kill anything, it's better to have completely dried utensils that bacteria can't grow on

On 6/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, alocacoc said:

yea that is the kinda place where the roaches have to make a phone reservation ...........

On 6/12/2017 at 10:00 AM, novo58 said:

People seem to miss the whole concept of the card that these food courts use..............the entire concept is so that the individual stall DO NOT have to handle money. You put the amount of money on the card THAT YOU WANT TO ...you present it at the stall to purchase your choice of dish ...then before leaving you can ( if you wish) go back to the cashier and redeem the remaining money or keep the card for your NEXT visit.

The individual stalls dont have to handle money----they just cook the food and serve it up. All finances are settled at the end of each day.

And no queues if you time it properly.  a longer wait for the food to cook than to redeem your change.

'Was under the impression that the card is good for the day only, and can't be used again or redeemed on a later day.  But not sure.  If it CAN be there at the CF food court, 'not sure that's universally true at food courts elsewhere.

Regardless, it's a very convenient, practical system.  Don't get why anyone could have issues with it.