Shock UK exit poll suggests Britain's May fails to win majority

webfact

23 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Can't see the Cons going for another soft woman leader, Boris would be good

Don't think so, would like to see Ruth Davidson put her hat in the ring, but she has said she is not interested, shame.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not going to happen.

The DUP will back the tories. 

Labour are 56 seats behind and only the lib dems are in favour of a new brexit vote. 

They are a busted flush and even if they support labour they will still not be able to match the tories.  

I say all this with a heavy heart.

I'd like to see another vote, but I am in the minority.

I don't like it, but am resigned to it. 

I suspect you're right. But at least it looks a hard Brexit is out. Staying in the single market with freedom of movement, will be some compensation for the disastrous referendum decision.

6 hours ago, dabhand said:

The pound dropping like a stone - down 1.5% so far. Slight bounce just now, but could be that of a dead cat.:sad:

Great- I have to change money soon as going there. Hope it keeps going down.

looks like May gambled and lost big time. Worst of all worlds- can't see the Lib Dems being a tame partner again.

Will set Brexit back etc etc etc.

If anything good comes out of it, hopefully May will be replaced as PM. Listening to her droning on sucked the little remaining enjoyment out of me, much like a dementor.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Rather inexplicably, he seems to have resonated with the younger voter. That free uni thingummy again.

Yes, the young have grown up with the "entitlement" gene firmly implanted. It's all gimme now.

If Kennedy had given his "ask not what your country can do for you........................" speech now he'd be laughed out of politics.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I suspect you're right. But at least it looks a hard Brexit is out. Staying in the single market with freedom of movement, will be some compensation for the disastrous referendum decision.

The main things I disliked about the EU was the corruption/waste of money/freedom of movement (I'm not a 'little Englander') - so forgive me if I'm not happy about it seeming more than likely that these are going to continue, with Brits paying even more to be part of this over-paid/corrupt crowd.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, the young have grown up with the "entitlement" gene firmly implanted. It's all gimme now.

If Kennedy had given his "ask not what your country can do for you........................" speech now he'd be laughed out of politics.

As if. It's the older generation in the UK that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension that will not be available to the youth of today.

That same generation systematically stripped all those benefits from future ones. Pretty much the definition of an entitled and selfish group to be honest, especially when they have the audacity to accuse less privileged generations of entitled behaviour.

Screw em, frankly. Glad to see the young trying to pull the drawbridge back down.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You have to laugh at the baby boomers who grew up with free health, dentistry, higher education, apprenticeships, at a time when the mines and shipyards were open and had an indexed pension, when a house was £27, moaning about the young.

Truly they are the most selfish generation there ever was.

2 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

As if. It's the older generation in the UK that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension not the youth of today.

That same generation systematically stripped all those benefits from future ones.

I didn't strip the country of anything except my presence. I got out when I saw the writing on the wall in the 80s.

Great result, could hardly be better

NI voted remain so I think a "conservative and unionist" government would retain the customs union and single market.

May was useless. Obviously needs some help as she is clearly uncomfortable with people generally.

I expect May to walk immediately

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

You have to laugh at the baby boomers who grew up with free health, dentistry, higher education, apprenticeships, at a time when the mines and shipyards were open and had an indexed pension, when a house was £27, moaning about the young.

Truly they are the most selfish generation there ever was.

No baby boomer could ever buy a house for 27 quid.

3 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I didn't strip the country of anything except my presence. I got out when I saw the writing on the wall in the 80s.

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to paint all with the same brush, but when the generation is taken as a whole that's my opinion, and I have special disdain for those that accuse the youth today of being "entitled".

27 quid probably slightly exaggerated, but 3x salary isn't, and extensive subsidised rental accommodation isn't either.

7 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

As if. It's the older generation in the UK that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension that will not be available to the youth of today.

That same generation systematically stripped all those benefits from future ones. Pretty much the definition of an entitled and selfish group to be honest, especially when they have the audacity to accuse less privileged generations of entitled behaviour.

You beat me to it AND put it better than I did. Git...

Just now, rwdrwdrwd said:

As if. It's the older generation that benefited from reams of freebies, as well as tracts of subsidised housing, a well funded NHS and the possibility of a liveable future state pension not the youth of today.

That same generation stripped all those benefits from future ones.

The older generation benefited from living during a time when good company pensions were normal/council houses hadn't been sold off/large parts of NHS budget being spent on healthcare, rather than ever increasing numbers of administration staff.....

Various governments 'put paid' to all these 'benefits'.

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The older generation benefited from living during a time when good company pensions were normal/council houses hadn't been sold off/large parts of NHS budget being spent on healthcare, rather than ever increasing numbers of administration staff.....

Absolutely, but they also voted for those governments and continue to heavily support parties with such policies - stripping of free education and selling off subsidised housing for the financial gain of the voting age population to the detriment of future generations especially smarts.

Seen it within my own family, older sister voted Tory, bought her council house for 30k, now lives in a 250k house off the back if it. Her kids struggle to live with incomes around 1500 a month with over half of it going on rent. Couldn't afford to go uni so few opportunities to improve income. Catch 22 and a big factor is the actions of their parents generation. She does her best to help them out financially to be fair but the best help would have been to not partake in national asset stripping.

First of all I must say I still dislike the UK electoral system. The way seats are appointed (first past the post) results in something that's way too far off a proportionate representation of what the people think (The popular vote).

Anyway, glad to see the Torries took a hit. It is a shame the UK decided to Brexit but thats what they chose to do so. These election results could be mean a soft Brexit and perhaps this keep freedom of movement intact. I would be glad if they did.

7 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Absolutely, but they also voted for those governments and continue to heavily support parties with such policies - stripping of free education and selling off subsidised housing for the financial gain of the voting age population to the detriment of future generations especially smarts.

'But don't touch MY pension. I'm entitled to that and my cold weather payments...'

1 minute ago, Donutz said:

First of all I must say I still dislike the UK electoral system. The way seats are appointed (first past the post) results in something that's way too far off a proportionate representation of what the people think (The popular vote).<snip>

But it puts the representative closer to the people.

There is something to be said for both systems IMO.

10 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Screw em, frankly. Glad to see the young trying to pull the drawbridge back down.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The point I'm trying to make is that its incorrect to accuse the older generation of benefiting from 'freebies'.  They were just lucky enough to live in a short period of time when political parties and companies had to take into account ordinary people.

Both political parties and companies became ever braver in re-directing money to the wealthy - resulting in young people placing the blame in the wrong place.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The point I'm trying to make is that its incorrect to accuse the older generation of benefiting from 'freebies'.  They were just lucky enough to live in a short period of time when political parties and companies had to take into account ordinary people.

Both political parties and companies became ever braver in re-directing money to the wealthy - resulting in young people placing the blame in the wrong place.

Absolutely.  The Conservatives particularly have slashed taxes on the most wealthy and paid for them with cuts to social programs and the NHS.

10 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Seen it within my own family, older sister voted Tory, bought her council house for 30k, now lives in a 250k house off the back if it. Her kids struggle to live with incomes around 1500 a month with over half of it going on rent. Couldn't afford to go uni so few opportunities to improve income. Catch 22 and a big factor is the actions of their parents generation. She does her best to help them out financially to be fair but the best help would have been to not partake in national asset stripping.

Agree entirely that so many voted for political parties only interested in increasing the wealth of the wealthy :sad:.

Its beyond my comprehension how they could see their own salaries/pensions being decimated - whilst still believing the media that this was the right thing to do, and it was all the fault of the older generation!

30 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Those older people suffered and fought in WW2, suffered in the great depression, lived with sod all in the way of comforts, had little education compared to now and deserved everything they got in their old age. Young people have no idea of what it's like to have nothing and every day a struggle.

If you want to blame someone, blame politicians that used the people's taxes to bribe their way to power by promising things they should not have been able to give.

First of all I must say I still dislike the UK electoral system. The way seats are appointed (first past the post) results in something that's way too far off a proportionate representation of what the people think (The popular vote).

Anyway, glad to see the Torries took a hit. It is a shame the UK decided to Brexit but thats what they chose to do so. These election results could be mean a soft Brexit and perhaps this keep freedom of movement intact. I would be glad if they did.

Hopefully is this a wake up call to all within the political system, type of Brexit will also be in the hands of the DUP however the NI party has repeatedly stated they wish to see what's best for the whole UK.

Sterling fluctuations expected, with further interesting developments pending, I'd say the biggest hit (albeit May's inherited majority) was the very bad night for the SNP....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived