Shock UK exit poll suggests Britain's May fails to win majority

webfact

2 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

The hysteria is bizarre. The Tories are significantly ahead and only need the smallest of coalition partnerships to get the majority - DUP will do it.

Labour gains are surprising though. Has there been any analysis as to whether the swung seats have significant immigrant populations?

I suspect it will be the vote of young people and those ignored by May, those that voted Remain. The problem with a DUP coalition is that it gives you a small minority, and within the Tory party there are many who don't support this 'hard Brexit' agenda ... and they won't make May's life easy. She's toast.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

The hysteria is bizarre. The Tories are significantly ahead and only need the smallest of coalition partnerships to get the majority - DUP will do it.

Labour gains are surprising though. Has there been any analysis as to whether the swung seats have significant immigrant populations?

Actually it matters a great deal. Conservatives and DUP combined will have 325 votes - exactly 50 percent.  That's not even a majority. And even if they get a few more votes it will take just a few dissenting MPs to scupper any proposed legislation. The tories are in a much worse position now to advance the non-Brexit portion of their agenda. Let's all be grateful for that

18 minutes ago, baboon said:

It was arrogance, sheer arrogance. 

Doubt it, and think she was looking for control of those against brexit.  Purely for her political interest of course!

Which brings me back to why she came up with the 'dementia tax' idea during the referendum?

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Doubt it, and think she was looking for control of those against brexit.  Purely for her political interest of course!

Which brings me back to why she came up with the 'dementia tax' idea during the referendum?

Fink that was to take care of the house of Lords..............:laugh:

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

And the biggest emotional vote and bad choice was Brexit itself. A completely unnecessary referendum that has given us all a year of political chaos ... with many more years of chaos to come. And for what?

As it turns out - nothing.

Now that politicians are going to do their best to ensure no brexit or the softest brexit possible,  which will of course, result in none of the voters' concerns being addressed.....

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Well, the pro-union parties collectively managed to get 24 seats while the nats got 35 - hardly a ringing endorsement for the union.

But I will agree that we need to work harder to ensure we manage to get out of the union.

I completely agree with you. I could never understand why, Salmonds and Sturgeon 

put so much importance on obtaining the vote for Braveheart influenced schoolchildren, when it would have been more productive to demand that the English be allowed to vote in that referendum.

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because the record numbers of young voters were predominantly Labour. Shame they didn't vote in the same numbers in the referendum.

How do you know that there was a record number of young voters, who changed the predictions for this election.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think it was Brown, but no matter who, it was mostly wasted on administrators and fancy new buildings. I was working in the NHS when that happened and it was a farce. Lots of new management level nurses and the rank and file still exploited and treated like s***. They couldn't even clean the hospitals properly.

Didn't the UK need more money for the NHS to fund all those immigrants/refugees that Labor was bringing into the country?

16 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Just like sticking it to an arrogant right wing Tory party?

But what's the point in shooting yourself in the foot with a "hard Brexit"? Now we'll have a poor Brexit deal, and if we stay in the single market and customs union we will have freedom of movement. And perhaps ... just perhaps, we might end up back in the EU ... my preferred outcome.

I agree insofar as there will now be a poor brexit deal and there will still be open immigration.

The worst of all possible worlds for ordinary Brits.

LePen rejected. Merkel hanging in there. Britain having second thoughts about Brexit. Trump's poll numbers at record lows. Has the fever finally broken, with the world finally coming to its senses? One can only hope and pray.

I agree insofar as there will now be a poor brexit deal and there will still be open immigration.

The worst of all possible worlds for ordinary Brits.

The odds of there being a brexit deal that was on balance beneficial to the UK were extremely slim. It's extremely unlikely that the UK will concede on the free movement of workers, and without that, it's extremely unlilkely that the EU will grant much if anything in the way of concessions. 

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Perhaps because she has been suffering from a touch of dementia herself for a while.

11 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

The odds of there being a brexit deal that was on balance beneficial to the UK were extremely slim. It's extremely unlikely that the UK will concede on the free movement of workers, and without that, it's extremely unlilkely that the EU will grant much if anything in the way of concessions. 

So many voters seriously disliked the open immigration policy - but I'm pretty sure it will now be part of the soft brexit agreement

On top of that, EU politicians now know that the UK is divided - so we're looking at the softest brexit possible (i.e. acceding to all EU demands, and still paying them a lot of money to continue the status quo) - or no brexit at all, but with none of the 'rebates' payable in the past.

Edit - In short, UK politicians will agree to open immigration/paying a lot of money to the EU/, whilst being able to get out of EU workers' rights.

So many voters seriously disliked the open immigration policy - but I'm pretty sure it will now be part of the soft brexit agreement

On top of that, EU politicians now know that the UK is divided - so we're looking at the softest brexit possible (i.e. acceding to all EU demands, and still paying them a lot of money to continue the status quo) - or no brexit at all, but with none of the 'rebates' payable in the past.

"On top of that, EU politicians now know that the UK is divided"

This election was not necessary to show that, I'm sure all EU politicians already knew.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Well, it's not my country, so I don't know how things work in the UK.  But it seems to me that with her majority reduced to a plurality, May is much more beholden to the pro Brexit crowd.  Give in on immigration and her ability to govern not only goes poof but the Conservatives credibility with their own voters disintegrates and the party with it.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Edit - In short, UK politicians will agree to open immigration/paying a lot of money to the EU/, whilst being able to get out of EU workers' rights.

Having said that, I'll be happy to be proven wrong :laugh:.

3 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Well, it's not my country, so I don't know how things work in the UK.  But it seems to me that with her majority reduced to a plurality, May is much more beholden to the pro Brexit crowd.  Give in on immigration and her ability to govern not only goes poof but the Conservatives credibility with their own voters disintegrates and the party with it.

May is beholden to the DUP, the Northern Irish, who voted to remain in the EU.

17 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I'm willing to bet a small amount of money that open movement will continue.

51 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I don't think so. I've looked at the breakdown in a number of the constituencies,and quickly came  to the conclusion,that May thought that the UKIP vote would automatically support her. She then stupidly and arrogantly took her eye off the ball, and included in her manifesto the so-called Dementia tax. The result, more than half of the UKIP vote moved over to Labour.

So as predicted by many on TV.  I voted for the Lib Dems simply to unseat the local Tory candidate and many others here did the same. Mission accomplished!

But what does this hung parliament mean. It is likely that the Conservatives will stay in power with a little help from a minor party, probably the Northern Irish party.  Maybe as a “confidence and supply” agreement or maybe as a coalition. The result has seriously damaged May but she will try to hang on the  PM role. Her handling of Brexit, her position on the NHS, the police numbers and the stupid dementia tax has led to this and the fact she shied away from debates and interviews have painted her as a coward.

Brexit is now much harder but will have to be much softer to get through the house.   May really should fall on her sword over this but who can pick up the baton?  Johnson will screw everything up and Amber Rudd only just hung on to her seat.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

The Tories are significantly ahead and only need the smallest of coalition partnerships to get the majority - DUP will do it.

The history of all five previous UK coalition governments indicates that outside of a world war, they aren't all they're cracked up to be.

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

So as predicted by many on TV.  I voted for the Lib Dems simply to unseat the local Tory candidate and many others here did the same. Mission accomplished!

But what does this hung parliament mean. It is likely that the Conservatives will stay in power with a little help from a minor party, probably the Northern Irish party.  Maybe as a “confidence and supply” agreement or maybe as a coalition. The result has seriously damaged May but she will try to hang on the  PM role. Her handling of Brexit, her position on the NHS, the police numbers and the stupid dementia tax has led to this and the fact she shied away from debates and interviews have painted her as a coward.

Brexit is now much harder but will have to be much softer to get through the house.   May really should fall on her sword over this but who can pick up the baton?  Johnson will screw everything up and Amber Rudd only just hung on to her seat.

Ruth Davidson, the Tories did well in Scotland?

Archived