Flooding coming

Brunolem

Despite the recent reassurance given by the meteorological department, the country could experience major flooding in the coming months.

While there is little doubt that the Bentley-areas in and around Bangkok will be duly protected, things may be quite different for the common man in his pick-up truck.

There was a lot of rain in May, yet June appears to be even worse, and the official rain season has not yet even started!

The fact that reservoirs are not full, or even far from being full, doesn't mean anything, because the rain that falls on the land takes weeks, first to reach a nearby small river, then a bigger river, and so on until arriving to the reservoirs.

In the Sisaket-Ubon area, many paddyfields have been underwater for weeks, so much so that farmers who hadn't been careful enough to start growing their rice in April, way before the regular season, are stuck, unable to grow rice now.

If rain keeps on falling like that, one can predict major flooding long before October...thus I will confidently take the other side of the bet made by the meteorological department...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

While there is little doubt that the Bentley-areas in and around Bangkok will be duly protected

I'm shocked & stunned. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

In the Sisaket-Ubon area, many paddyfields have been underwater for weeks, so much so that farmers who hadn't been careful enough to start growing their rice in April, way before the regular season, are stuck, unable to grow rice now.

Farmers been OK here in and around Sukhothai with flooded fields,  maybe Ubon farmers have taken care of drainage. 

2 minutes ago, whiteman said:

long may it rain it keep the heat down  each to their own

The only problem l have found with this years constant rainfall is get very very hot before it rains. :biggrin: 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

The only problem l have found with this years constant rainfall is get very very hot before it rains. :biggrin: 

I would rather have very very hot then cooler than stinking hot all the time

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

It feels very hot because of the humidity.

A big rain in the morning, for example, followed by sunshine in the afternoon, makes us feel like being in a sauna, because of the massive evaporation.

One feels much more comfortable in 30 or 35 degrees heat with a dry atmosphere, rather than with very high humidity.

These days, the humidity is so high that any small amount of sunshine quickly becomes unbearable...

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Not had lots of rain everywhere. Cloudy skies thunder storms but very little rain

l guess it's where you are, can only remember one like this for so much rain but it was cool & dry. :thumbsup:

As someone that was here when there was a flood I would say that things look a lot better now then they did.  When the floods hit the reservoirs were already full.  The rainy seasons are delayed so there should be little worry.

44 minutes ago, petermik said:

Wish it would rain here in Pattaya so the "flood free" underpass can be fully tested then opened up for use :whistling:

As the latest swimming pool.

Before (actually Virginia Beach vs hurricane Matthew) but with Pattaya's record on efficient drainage:-

CuVKTplW8AEC-aa.jpg

After:-

CuVKTqgXEAAVR_6.jpg

It's actually the Thai irrigation department who control the dams and monitor weather,  dam levels, river heights and flows with a network of measurement stations.  They do near daily reports and its in English here http://www.rid.go.th/eng/

They knew 4-6 weeks before them floods 5 yeas ago that the dam levels at that time and the volume of rain that had fallen in the North flooding in the Chao praya delta was going to happen.

After those floods for better or worse a huge amount of civil engineering projects were undertaken - living near Pathum Thani  - under road concrete drainage sections 5m x 5m were set across the road every km - all designed to take water from somewhere to somewhere else - all over many many heightening of road levels ditches and dykes.   Yes, monkey cheeks - are probably there,  just nobody know if they live in the wet or dry side!

Even last week after our wet few weeks the Chaopraya was rushing by near Pathum Thani  - probably prudent management of getting a volume of water safely out into the Gulf  measured against the volume that is anticipated to flow into the dams in the balance of the predicted rainy season.

That flood year the political objective was to ensure  by all means there were  full dams to allow full dry season irrigation that interfered with prudent water shed management.

If rainfall is somewhere between minimum and maximum annual range is should be managed at this time, the information & tools are available and in place.

Is my humble opinoin

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I was up that way, no rain until I got to Phetchabun which is to be expected.

Im quite happy coolish conditions and very little rain. However i do hope we get some major rain soon now as we need to build up reserves after using up most of our dammed water flooding rice fields. Using pump to refill from river at the moment.

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

As someone that was here when there was a flood I would say that things look a lot better now then they did.  When the floods hit the reservoirs were already full.  The rainy seasons are delayed so there should be little worry.

I am not following you...which flood are you talking about?

What do you mean by "the rainy seasons are delayed"?

On the contrary, it looks like, rather than being delayed, the rainy season is far in advance this year...

31 minutes ago, peter267 said:

It's actually the Thai irrigation department who control the dams and monitor weather,  dam levels, river heights and flows with a network of measurement stations.  They do near daily reports and its in English here http://www.rid.go.th/eng/

They knew 4-6 weeks before them floods 5 yeas ago that the dam levels at that time and the volume of rain that had fallen in the North flooding in the Chao praya delta was going to happen.

After those floods for better or worse a huge amount of civil engineering projects were undertaken - living near Pathum Thani  - under road concrete drainage sections 5m x 5m were set across the road every km - all designed to take water from somewhere to somewhere else - all over many many heightening of road levels ditches and dykes.   Yes, monkey cheeks - are probably there,  just nos body know if they live in the wet or dry side!

Even last week after our wet few weeks the Chaopraya was rushing by near Pathum Thani  - probably prudent management of getting a volume of water safely out into the Gulf  measured against the volume that is anticipated to flow into the dams in the balance of the predicted rainy season.

That flood year the political objective was to ensure  by all means there were  full dams to allow full dry season irrigation that interfered with prudent water shed management.

If rainfall is somewhere between minimum and maximum annual range is should be managed at this time, the information & tools are available and in place.

Is my humble opinoin

This may be true for Bangkok and its surroundings, but not necessarily for less populated areas accross the country.

There are many small rivers with absolutely no flood control, that can create a lot of damage when they burst out of their beds...

11 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Not had lots of rain everywhere. Cloudy skies thunder storms but very little rain

Geeze, do you want some of ours.  Three weeks ago water around house knee deep, the river, which is only 50 metres from the house,  rose 15 metres and three rooms flooded.  Had to take car and park on higher ground and dog had to swim to get to higher ground so he could do his business. Sand bags everywhere and pumps going day and night.

Has been raining here for three days again, hope no more bloody flooding, took me over a week to clean the house.  It has been not been heavy but is right now.  If it gets any heavier and last longer in the mountains then we will have more floods and I will be really P'd.  Oh by the way, we're in Loei province.:wai:   

I you are that much scared, move to a boat OR go back to your home country.

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

We are in THE TROPICS of Thailand..

No snow. No ice except in your drinks.

Just heat, rain, 200 billion flowers, fruit everywhere, vegetables everywhere, and RAINY SEASON.

Edited by themerg

9 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Oh by the way, we're in Loei province.:wai:   

Perhaps re-named it  " Low " . :biggrin:

Our village is high up, any sort of road flooding starts East of us about 2 k away.

Flooding around the world in places this year, not just in Thailand. In Canada right now there is high

water levels in Lake Ontario and the Toronto Island has had very high levels, so a good part of the island is flooded.

What all people seem to forget is that many many years ago there was a hot time on the planet, and the Arctic was

ice free enough that there were even big trees growing that far north.  People had no influence on this period.

There was no carbon tax being charged, and there were no governments and scientists telling people that the

sky is falling.  Volcanoes also pump out lots of gases each time the blow, but nothing is being said about their

affects to the climate around the world.  So enjoy the rainy seaon, andhope that the resevoirs all get filled up during

it.  Do not believe everything that is in the news about Climate change being mankinds fault, as nature is also doing

lots to affect it.

Geezer

Perhaps re-named it  " Low " . :biggrin:

Our village is high up, any sort of road flooding starts East of us about 2 k away.

Funny man.  Where we are you are spot on.  Just checked the river again this morning and its up about 6 metres up already so obviously a lot of rain in the catchment area.  If it keeps coming down more bloody worries.:wai:

20 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Flooding around the world in places this year, not just in Thailand. In Canada right now there is high

water levels in Lake Ontario and the Toronto Island has had very high levels, so a good part of the island is flooded.

What all people seem to forget is that many many years ago there was a hot time on the planet, and the Arctic was

ice free enough that there were even big trees growing that far north.  People had no influence on this period.

There was no carbon tax being charged, and there were no governments and scientists telling people that the

sky is falling.  Volcanoes also pump out lots of gases each time the blow, but nothing is being said about their

affects to the climate around the world.  So enjoy the rainy seaon, andhope that the resevoirs all get filled up during

it.  Do not believe everything that is in the news about Climate change being mankinds fault, as nature is also doing

lots to affect it.

Geezer

So true.  I don't know why the alarmists keep insisting that those who have opposing opinions are climate change deniers.  That is so untrue, of course the climate changes, hence the variances that many parts of the world are experiencing.  The floods we are experiencing now is caused by rain, funny about that, nothing to do with the so called alleged excessive carbon dioxide caused by man.:wai:

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

Funny man.  Where we are you are spot on.  Just checked the river again this morning and its up about 6 metres up already so obviously a lot of rain in the catchment area.  If it keeps coming down more bloody worries.:wai:

I'm sorry about your situation,  can't be funny flooding water in the house.

Even though we are high land wise before our area did some serious drain works,  clearing to deepen gullies &  river ways, low home places in village were flooded.

Cut a long story short my wife's old house collapsed,  we rebuilt the new house 2 metre higher than the soi level which made 3 metres higher than the old house level.

It's forecasting around us more thunder and rain until the 26th of this month so more of our water coming you way sorry.

Might sound silly but my builders mind would be churning over about doing something on the situation your in especially when you mention knee high. 

Would it be practical building a dam wall.

Would it be practical digging gullies or any other way of diversion. 

Is the local gov aware of your situation.

If none of above can be done:-

For future flooding occurrences could your ground floor be cleared and made open and get to build another floor level either by extending or a bit more inconvenience going up another level.

I'm sorry about your situation,  can't be funny flooding water in the house.

Even though we are high land wise before our area did some serious drain works,  clearing to deepen gullies &  river ways, low home places in village were flooded.

Cut a long story short my wife's old house collapsed,  we rebuilt the new house 2 metre higher than the soi level which made 3 metres higher than the old house level.

It's forecasting around us more thunder and rain until the 26th of this month so more of our water coming you way sorry.

Might sound silly but my builders mind would be churning over about doing something on the situation your in especially when you mention knee high. 

Would it be practical building a dam wall.

Would it be practical digging gullies or any other way of diversion. 

Is the local gov aware of your situation.

If none of above can be done:-

For future flooding occurrences could your ground floor be cleared and made open and get to build another floor level either by extending or a bit more inconvenience going up another level.

Thanks for the information and advice.  Unfortunately,  when the water comes none of the above will stop it, it's just like a train running off the rails.  Just a bad choice of area.  Now coming down by the bucket load and because the ground is so saturated, it cannot escape and is now laying in the low spots around the home.  If it goes for another two or three days, then it will just come over the fields, through the house and join up with the river.  I will be going to the local government and getting sandbags, had I done this last time then maybe in would not have entered the house.  :wai: