Flooding coming

Brunolem

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

Unfortunately,  when the water comes none of the above will stop it,

OK don't laugh l use this picture as a solution an extended single or 2 floor story house where flood water can flow underneath.

593ba253bd9d5_images(11).jpg.ecd46649d78126fb4a1036a2539c910c.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK don't laugh l use this picture as a solution an extended single or 2 floor story house where flood water can flow underneath.

Thanks for your thoughts and time taken.  But I would have to rebuild the whole house, in particular, when a few years ago the water actually rose over five metres inside the residence.:wai:

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The vast majority of our village houses are built on stilts. The only reasons we didnt was we are situated on the edge of the village higher up than other properties.plus we had drainge pipes inserted before we raised the land up by another 3m. So when it does rain the water from the lowerlying areas around us is taken away by the drain system which feeds into our lake/dam for rice fields which in turn can be diverted into  the river if needs be. So far in the 4 years weve lived here we have not had any problems. We get the drains cleaned out every year.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

The vast majority of our village houses are built on stilts. The only reasons we didnt was we are situated on the edge of the village higher up than other properties.plus we had drainge pipes inserted before we raised the land up by another 3m. So when it does rain the water from the lowerlying areas around us is taken away by the drain system which feeds into our lake/dam for rice fields which in turn can be diverted into  the river if needs be. So far in the 4 years weve lived here we have not had any problems. We get the drains cleaned out every year.

So you are the culprit for flooding and over flowing the land where @jeab1980 lives.. :biggrin:

14 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

If you  are that what?. Why should he go back anywhere get a grip man 

Well said...many guys go native, parroting the "go back to your country" meme...these guys should go back and get professional help...

11 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

So true.  I don't know why the alarmists keep insisting that those who have opposing opinions are climate change deniers.  That is so untrue, of course the climate changes, hence the variances that many parts of the world are experiencing.  The floods we are experiencing now is caused by rain, funny about that, nothing to do with the so called alleged excessive carbon dioxide caused by man.:wai:

Strange that when it comes to climate, many guys pretend to know better than scientists, like James Hansen from NASA, who have spent their lives studying this subject...

When it comes to sending rockets in space, these same guys generally abstain from contradicting NASA scientists, and they don't also pretend to know better than neurosurgeons when it comes to perform surgery.

Why the difference?

Where did you get your expertise in climate science from?

No matter how you slice it: Thailand is part of the worlds encompassing tropical Monsoon/Rain belt. Seasonal flooding is part of it. Brazil, India, Central Africa and parts of Asia. Same same. Some years it's bad, some years it's worse. Can not be forecast in a precise way.

But by taking permanent residence in Thailand, surely, one was aware of this beforehand.

- The real problem arises, when those seasonal floodings sould cease to occur for a couple of years. THEN, we got a true worldwide problem!

- But if flooding should become a permanent problem in Thailand, all we need to do is take our clues from the Bible. Yes, Noah's Ark! Just be aware, that these days, your baggage/luggage that you can take along is limited: 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 parrots, your wife and only 1 mother-in-law!:sorry:

If you have ever flown Ryan-Air, you know what I mean.
Cheers.  

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Strange that when it comes to climate, many guys pretend to know better than scientists, like James Hansen from NASA, who have spent their lives studying this subject...

When it comes to sending rockets in space, these same guys generally abstain from contradicting NASA scientists, and they don't also pretend to know better than neurosurgeons when it comes to perform surgery.

Why the difference?

Where did you get your expertise in climate science from?

I do not need any degree in the so called Climate Science doctrine that you are quoting from, as I am not denying that the climate changes.  Nor I need a degree or any expertise to look out my window and see that the rain fell for 5 days and my home was flooded.

This has nothing to do with brain surgery so why this little ditty and you last sentence I don't think is needed either, that is unless you are trying to bait me or are just trolling, which, in either case is against forum rules, so please refrain with  these silly little antics. :wai:

Thanks for your thoughts and time taken.  But I would have to rebuild the whole house, in particular, when a few years ago the water actually rose over five metres inside the residence.:wai:

No need to rebuild the whole house, you only need to rebuild the bottom...

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

No need to rebuild the whole house, you only need to rebuild the bottom...

It is a single story brick dwelling, so to have a two storey, I would say it would be a knock down rebuild I would guess.:wai: 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

It was a joke, sorry

Unknown maybe, you wasn't really joking,  when l gave options,  it depends on the house design whether it is possible reconstruct the existing build to having the ground floor to become a series of stilts.

With the OP talking of 5 metres deep in water at one time,  a rebuild or buy a house boat. :biggrin:

The Heavy monsoonal rains are necessary in the tropics.

The monsoonal rains make the rice, the 1,000 fruits and 10,000 varieties of flowers that make Thailand the most beautiful and colorful country on earth.

I live in Thailand. I am a farang.

I LOVE THAILAND.

12 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

I do not need any degree in the so called Climate Science doctrine that you are quoting from, as I am not denying that the climate changes.  Nor I need a degree or any expertise to look out my window and see that the rain fell for 5 days and my home was flooded.

This has nothing to do with brain surgery so why this little ditty and you last sentence I don't think is needed either, that is unless you are trying to bait me or are just trolling, which, in either case is against forum rules, so please refrain with  these silly little antics. :wai:

My comment came after a little exchange between you and Stargrazer, above.

It was not meant for anyone in particular, but for the deniers in general whom I refered to as "guys".

Yet, I have to acknowledge a mistake in the last sentence, where I should have written "where did they get" instead of "where did you get".

My bad...

7 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

My comment came after a little exchange between you and Stargrazer, above.

It was not meant for anyone in particular, but for the deniers in general whom I refered to as "guys".

Yet, I have to acknowledge a mistake in the last sentence, where I should have written "where did they get" instead of "where did you get".

My bad...

Ok but I think you will find that most educated and reasonable people do believe in and accept that there is climate change but do not accept that they are trying to redistribute the wealth and damage the western world's economy.  I will leave it at that as we are now drifting off the topic.:wai:

2 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Ok but I think you will find that most educated and reasonable people do believe in and accept that there is climate change but do not accept that they are trying to redistribute the wealth and damage the western world's economy.  I will leave it at that as we are now drifting off the topic.:wai:

Without going any further into that subject, please let me know who you are refering to when you write "they are trying to redistribute..." who are"they"?

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

Without going any further into that subject, please let me know who you are refering to when you write "they are trying to redistribute..." who are"they"?

The UN and those countries who signed up to the non binding Paris Agreement.:wai:

14 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

The UN and those countries who signed up to the non binding Paris Agreement.:wai:

The Paris agreement is total crap, and was denounced as such by James Hansen himself!

Not only is it non binding, but it doesn't take effect before 2021...talk about an emergency...

This is a "feelgood" document so that when the shit hit the fan, the governments will be able to say "we did our best".

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The Paris agreement is total crap, and was denounced as such by James Hansen himself!

Not only is it non binding, but it doesn't take effect before 2021...talk about an emergency...

This is a "feelgood" document so that when the shit hit the fan, the governments will be able to say "we did our best".

I have to agree with you 100 percent.:wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

33 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Recover as much water as you can or purchase a rainwater recovery tank....could be used later for watering the lawn or washing the car in a sustainable way

One has to appreciate your thoughts but when I have three recovery tanks and the water keeps coming and coming and ends up knee deep around the house and actually gets into three rooms, is brown and muddy, hardly anything sustainable about it I can assure you. But one good thing did come of it, it brought some very good top soil with it and now my grass is lush, thick and greener than green.:wai: 

7 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

One has to appreciate your thoughts but when I have three recovery tanks and the water keeps coming and coming and ends up knee deep around the house and actually gets into three rooms, is brown and muddy, hardly anything sustainable about it I can assure you. But one good thing did come of it, it brought some very good top soil with it and now my grass is lush, thick and greener than green.:wai: 

My god, poor chap!..sorry for what's happening!...allow me to ask which area do you live and who built your house?

Just now, observer90210 said:

My god, poor chap!..sorry for what's happening!...allow me to ask which area do you live and who built your house?

Thanks for your thoughts.  I live in Loei province, Isaan, and unfortunately, right on the Loei river. Absolutely magnificent when there is no flooding, a great view and lush gardens but now it will take a little time for them to recover.  The home, my wife built about 30 years ago, before I met her.

The main section is up two metres above ground level so no water got in but the area that was flooded is only about a foot above ground level, thus allowing the water to flow through from one side to the other.  It came up so quick that I had no time to get sand bags.  Bit of a fright as have never experienced such a water flow before but one does live and learn even at my old age.:wai:

9 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  I live in Loei province, Isaan, and unfortunately, right on the Loei river. Absolutely magnificent when there is no flooding, a great view and lush gardens but now it will take a little time for them to recover.  The home, my wife built about 30 years ago, before I met her.

The main section is up two metres above ground level so no water got in but the area that was flooded is only about a foot above ground level, thus allowing the water to flow through from one side to the other.  It came up so quick that I had no time to get sand bags.  Bit of a fright as have never experienced such a water flow before but one does live and learn even at my old age.:wai:

Sounds a great place!...pardon my ignorance on the issue, but in the areas of your house that got the flood, why not use a pump to push it out?

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Sounds a great place!...pardon my ignorance on the issue, but in the areas of your house that got the flood, why not use a pump to push it out?

It is absolutely beautiful, if I do say so myself, one rai of garden, flowering trees and bushes, heaps and heaps of roses and other flowers plus lush green lawns.  The warter, if I used a pump, would have no where to go.  It came in to the land from four directions.  The river was already swollen and had burst it's banks. It's a little hard to describe but the house faces north, the river is on the east side and had broken it's banks. The water, very fast flowing came in from the north, north west, west, and south west and it then flowed into the river area on the eastern side. So it was like a bloody big lake but fast flowing.

I cannot say how fast it was flowing but quite rapidly, however, I was able to stand, it did not take me off my feet.  Had to move the car to higher ground and the dog swam out beside me so that he could do his business on higher ground.  it was quite comical to watch actually.   I hope this has given you some idea of why some of the normal things that one could do was actually impractical.  Oh by the way, all the storm water pipes lead to the river, which owing to the height of the river, the water backed up and could not get away.:wai:

3 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

It is absolutely beautiful, if I do say so myself, one rai of garden, flowering trees and bushes, heaps and heaps of roses and other flowers plus lush green lawns.  The warter, if I used a pump, would have no where to go.  It came in to the land from four directions.  The river was already swollen and had burst it's banks. It's a little hard to describe but the house faces north, the river is on the east side and had broken it's banks. The water, very fast flowing came in from the north, north west, west, and south west and it then flowed into the river area on the eastern side. So it was like a bloody big lake but fast flowing.

I cannot say how fast it was flowing but quite rapidly, however, I was able to stand, it did not take me off my feet.  Had to move the car to higher ground and the dog swam out beside me so that he could do his business on higher ground.  it was quite comical to watch actually.   I hope this has given you some idea of why some of the normal things that one could do was actually impractical.  Oh by the way, all the storm water pipes lead to the river, which owing to the height of the river, the water backed up and could not get away.:wai:

Sorry to say but it sounds like no matter what you do your going to be prone to flooding, with it seems very little you can do to stop it in these unusual rain times. All you can do is to do as much as you can to mitigate any damage. Or in the extreme build another house on stilts but i expect thats not a real option. Good luck and i hope things dont get to bad for you. 

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Sorry to say but it sounds like no matter what you do your going to be prone to flooding, with it seems very little you can do to stop it in these unusual rain times. All you can do is to do as much as you can to mitigate any damage. Or in the extreme build another house on stilts but i expect thats not a real option. Good luck and i hope things dont get to bad for you. 

Thanks.  I have no problem in building another house as you suggest, have the land size to do so but at this time of life not really interested.  My wife and I have other properties but despite the flooding I really call this area home and my life is sabai, sabai.  When there is no rain and the water is down, the serenity is hard to believe and although I have one A hole of a neighbour my German Shepherd keeps him at bay. So despite the recent dramas all is well.  Thank you for you kind thoughts. :wai: