Pattaya confirms big changes for beach chair vendors

Rimmer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2017 at 3:06 AM, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

A pillow? Really?
There are countless tourist hot spots the world over without deck chairs.
They are still packed with tourists. You just take a beach towel and a book and that's it! Shake the towel when finished and roll it up and your done

So much drama on TV.

It's not the chair, it's lack of shade.  I can walk to the beach with a towel, and lay down. Problem is lack of umbrellas from Wed to Fri. Even if I'm are really tanned, and have been under Thai sun for months, I still burn after 1 hour. Since I like beaches, and sit for hours, reading a book or browsing, I can't do it from Wed to Fri, and that leaves almost nothing to do daytime. 

You are correct, there are countless beaches worldwide with no chairs, the thing is, most beaches are not near equator, for example Mediterranean beaches people can spend a day with no need for shade, it is just not possible  in Thailand.  The issue with beaches here are not the chairs, it's the dirty water, and sand dirty enough, that I don't want to lay down on it. 

This whole 'no chairs days' thing started with Russians, they prefer to lay down on sand, and they prefer to save 50 baht. 

On 6/10/2017 at 9:28 AM, Rimmer said:

Vendors now will be limited one 63-sq.-meter block of sand – instead of renting multiple 49-sq.-meter parcels

This statement intrigues me.  I was always under the impression that the vendors paid someone under the table to look the other way, as opposed to pumping some transparent rent money into the public coffers.  Anyone know how that works?  (no guesses- just no-kidding knows).  Kind of puts the nail in the oft used statement that "beaches belong to the Royal Family and vendors have no right" if they're paying rent above board.

My forecast is that a family of 10 will now be able to rent 630 sqm, with one or two of them watching over the others' patches.

37 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

This whole 'no chairs days' thing started with Russians, they prefer to lay down on sand, and they prefer to save 50 baht. 

As I recall, it started right after social media had videos of hired thugs threatening (actually physically assaulting) tourists who had the audacity to sit on the public beach without renting a chair.  Thugs who were immediately disavowed as savage, untrained foreign workers by the lady they worked for.  Who ran them off and hired others to do the same thug thing- along with others to make sure there were no more people taking videos, I imagine..

Edited by impulse

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

As I recall, it started right after social media had videos of hired thugs threatening (actually physically assaulting) tourists who had the audacity to sit on the public beach without renting a chair.  Thugs who were immediately disavowed as savage, untrained foreign workers by the lady they worked for.  Who ran them off and hired others to do the same thug thing- along with others to make sure there were no more people taking videos, I imagine..

What you imagine bears no relation to reality. I can recall perhaps 2 instances being reported in 10 years. It is hardly an epidemic. The incident you refer to actually occured on Koh Lahn beach and not Pattaya beach. 

My experience of sitting on the beach under an umbrella is not as you might wish it to be; for no other reason than Pattaya bashing ( I imagine).

36 minutes ago, champers said:

What you imagine bears no relation to reality. I can recall perhaps 2 instances being reported in 10 years. It is hardly an epidemic. The incident you refer to actually occured on Koh Lahn beach and not Pattaya beach. 

My experience of sitting on the beach under an umbrella is not as you might wish it to be; for no other reason than Pattaya bashing ( I imagine).

Doesn't matter where the incident happened.  The march against beach chairs (in fact, encroaching beach vendors of all varieties) started right about the same time, and isn't specific to any particular beach or town.  It's being driven at the BKK level, not the local level.  It's true that it's being rolled out at various beaches over a period of time, but it's certainly not specific to Pattaya.

Unless, of course, you believe that right after the coup, a bunch of beach towns all made independent decisions to do away with their decades old beach vendors.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

It's not the chair, it's lack of shade.  I can walk to the beach with a towel, and lay down. Problem is lack of umbrellas from Wed to Fri. Even if I'm are really tanned, and have been under Thai sun for months, I still burn after 1 hour. Since I like beaches, and sit for hours, reading a book or browsing, I can't do it from Wed to Fri, and that leaves almost nothing to do daytime. 

You need to do what all the construction workers do, then you won't get burnt. When you go to the beach make sure you have long pants, a sweatshirt or hoodie and a balaclava to cover your face. Put on a pair of gloves to cover your hands and sunglasses and boom, your problem is solved.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

You need to do what all the construction workers do, then you won't get burnt. When you go to the beach make sure you have long pants, a sweatshirt or hoodie and a balaclava to cover your face. Put on a pair of gloves to cover your hands and sunglasses and boom, your problem is solved.

I just sucked it up and bought a golf umbrella.  Cheap enough to consider disposable, though I have owned it for 5+ years.  A  sharpened piece of PVC pipe pushed into the sand keeps it upright.  That was cheap as chips, too.

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Chivas said:

nailed it mate.....the buffoons running pattaya will wake up shortly when theres no one else left and think what went wrong.....absolutely clueless......can you IMAGINE this same scenario on any Med Beach they'd look at you and think you've escaped from an asylum

I think you will find there is some method in their madness Chivas, maybe they have other plans for the spaces

cleared and relatives to employ .However ,  I see from your photo you may have other things on your mind.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, johng said:

I suppose that cutting down most of the indigenous old growth trees,laying large slathes of concrete with inadequate drainage and adding football stadium lighting is the "natural state"

Was this a reporting error?

The new rules – part of the military’s push to eliminate private use of public property and restore beaches to a more-natural state – were condemned by the chair dealers.

Natural state?  They just destroyed the natural state of both beaches. 

I am reliably informed that the 2 day beach shutdown starts tomorrow. All chairs, tables and brollies to be removed tonight and cannot be brought back till Friday morning. All beach plots now have a number painted in red on the prom.

Much police and City Hall activity this morning to control these desperate criminals.

7 hours ago, champers said:

I am reliably informed that the 2 day beach shutdown starts tomorrow. All chairs, tables and brollies to be removed tonight and cannot be brought back till Friday morning. All beach plots now have a number painted in red on the prom.

Much police and City Hall activity this morning to control these desperate criminals.

Its true 95% of the beach chair vendors have removed their stuff...

All this extra work for nothing really...

Pattayas tourist will be disappointed to find  

Pattayas beach closed on Wednesday and Thursday...

With out  the beach chairs a already crappy beach becomes useless... 

Edited by fforest1

What I find amazing about this is that no way dose the Beach look any better . Thailand is to hot to sit on the beach without risking getting burnt or getting skin cancer. Anyone who wants to lay on the beach and get a Tan is a idiot. Taned skin is Damaged skin it's that simple. It's not the lack of chairs what worry me it's the lack of shade. They are in the process of cutting down all the old trees in Jomtien and now no Deck chair Vendors for two days. And was I right in reading only one 69 Square meter place on both beaches. If that is the case no way is that enough room. I love going to the beach and sitting there for about 5 hours with a bottle of whisky. Will I still be able to do this . I have problems getting a seat as it is somedays they spot the whiskey and say don't have seat for one person. If there is limited space will I still be able to get a seat myself. And I hope they don't refuse me when they know I wont be buying there overpriced food and drinks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thats it. Upcoming trip is my last after 25 years. Just stupidity beyond belief, lunancy beyond imagination this will completely kill off the few remaining expats

Edited by Chivas

I walk Jomtien Beach early mornings 3 or 4 times a week. It is uplifting to see the vendors doing their daily prep by cleaning the floats-om & jetsam that drifted in overnight.  It is a hellish amount of debris that sits on the unattended stretches,  for days at a time. The weekly half-hearted scratching of the city crew is not enough to make the beaches presentable. Chair vendors have a vested interest in keeping the shores tidy. So they make sure their patch is clean.  And now losing 2 days of revenue  - as many have pointed out - necessitated this segment of the labour force to look else where to put food on their table. And that is not likely to end well.

I can't help but wonder if there is a "garbage barge" dropping off each days haul out at sea and whatever doesn't sink  comes in to the shores overnight. An examination of the wide variety of  junk on the morning beaches, by my Bangkok students on a science theme one year,  left no doubt that this debris was not just the odd candy bar wrapper, thrown over the side by a overnight fisherman. Another conspiracy theory waiting to be adopted :)

18342557_10154536618761717_4639643341586299603_n.jpg

I walk Jomtien Beach early mornings 3 or 4 times a week. It is uplifting to see the vendors doing their daily prep by cleaning the floats-om & jetsam that drifted in overnight.  It is a hellish amount of debris that sits on the unattended stretches,  for days at a time. The weekly half-hearted scratching of the city crew is not enough to make the beaches presentable. Chair vendors have a vested interest in keeping the shores tidy. So they make sure their patch is clean.  And now losing 2 days of revenue  - as many have pointed out - necessitated this segment of the labour force to look else where to put food on their table. And that is not likely to end well.

I can't help but wonder if there is a "garbage barge" dropping off each days haul out at sea and whatever doesn't sink  comes in to the shores overnight. An examination of the wide variety of  junk on the morning beaches, by my Bangkok students on a science theme one year,  left no doubt that this debris was not just the odd candy bar wrapper, thrown over the side by a overnight fisherman. Another conspiracy theory waiting to be adopted :)
18342557_10154536618761717_4639643341586299603_n.jpg.adfe1afef84e118ad501ed2fa4996d68.jpg

I went there Tuesday and watched them take all the chairs away. Then on Wensday there was rubbish everywhere at the same time. I wonder what's it like today.

The Thais at the beach are up to there normal bizarre business logic. I had a walk past the chairs last Friday at about 3pm all the patches are smaller with about half the chairs. I Just came down here it's very early 9am it's empty everywhere. I asked in the first place 1 person please 80THB she said. I said it 40THB no 80THB OK bye. Next place the same. OK why now 80THB I already knew the answer "only little bit chairs" but it will be empty later I said and then I just laughed and walked of. The next place 40THB. So some of them are up to strange Thai businesses practice of trying to get more money from there existing customers when there money goes down . I am not sure if the price has doubled or they want to charge me for 2 chairs. But both ways they are still going to loose out. Oh well TIT

On 30/06/2017 at 6:23 AM, Jim Turner Mad Punx said:

Should also require them to put the price of a chair either posted or on the food menu.
I hate to complain about 40 baht, but when I'm finished drinking a couple the last thing I want to see on the chit is an added on fee for sitting in the chair I did not know about.

for christs sake !!

On 30/06/2017 at 3:34 AM, juice777 said:

The Thais at the beach are up to there normal bizarre business logic. I had a walk past the chairs last Friday at about 3pm all the patches are smaller with about half the chairs. I Just came down here it's very early 9am it's empty everywhere. I asked in the first place 1 person please 80THB she said. I said it 40THB no 80THB OK bye. Next place the same. OK why now 80THB I already knew the answer "only little bit chairs" but it will be empty later I said and then I just laughed and walked of. The next place 40THB. So some of them are up to strange Thai businesses practice of trying to get more money from there existing customers when there money goes down . I am not sure if the price has doubled or they want to charge me for 2 chairs. But both ways they are still going to loose out. Oh well TIT

just come back from usual concession exact same size and position as before. 40 baht as always and no they are not required to take the stacked deckchairs and umbrellas away on tuesday evening. It was advisable but not compulsary straight from the horses mouth

just come back from usual concession exact same size and position as before. 40 baht as always and no they are not required to take the stacked deckchairs and umbrellas away on tuesday evening. It was advisable but not compulsary straight from the horses mouth

Well I saw them doing it a few Tuesday ago at Jomtien Beach. And askd one what was going on and she said they have to. Do you really think they would go through all that if they didn't have to it was chaos . There was chairs everywhere on the side walk.Maybe they have relaxed it already but I doubt it. And the patches are definitely half the size at Jomtien Beach. And that was from the horses mouth as well. 20170620_184006.jpg

I have already posted on the other thread that at bottom of soi 2/3/4/5 last tuesday/wednesday/thursday nights on pattaya beach they were still stacked on all 3 nights in normal position. Not saying others didnt comply but these didnt because it was advisary only

I will add that the "only put a chair up at request" is totally void as well.  Every concession had the entire stock up as per normal in the areas I named plus they certainly were not smaller in size either

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, impulse said:

This statement intrigues me.  I was always under the impression that the vendors paid someone under the table to look the other way, as opposed to pumping some transparent rent money into the public coffers.  Anyone know how that works?  (no guesses- just no-kidding knows).  Kind of puts the nail in the oft used statement that "beaches belong to the Royal Family and vendors have no right" if they're paying rent above board

I was under the impression that the royal land extends till the top of the water line (plus maybe a couple of metres). The concessions in Pattaya are legitimately obtained from city hall.