Protesters rally against Islamic law in dozens of U.S. cities

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Agree on some points.

The industrial revolution may have come first to Christian countries, but so did two devastating world wars.

Islam never had The Reformation that Christianity benefitted from. For a period, Islam was more modern, liberal and open-minded than Christianity. Sadly it was dragged down by reactionaries while Christianity reformed itself, albeit through fits and starts, wars and subterfuge. Heck, Islam still hasn't settled a feud going back 1,400 years as to the true heir of Mohamed, hence the Sunni/Shia split that persists today and is the cause of much of the Muslim terrorism and violence we see.

To get back on topic, non of the above is relevant to the protesters, who are just there to vent their bigotry.

If sharia law did not advocate execution and maiming, the protestors would not be there.

Reform Islam now.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, these protesters contend that Sharia Law is already being instituted in the United States. Thanks to a certain right wing loon that I know, my email accounted got pelted with such assertions. There is no truth to this.  And if any body of government tried to legislate sharia law - or any other law allegedly coming from God - that law would be stricken down by the courts.

That said, the conservatives on the Supreme court recently allowed a corporation to not comply with federal law based on its Christian views. So maybe there will come a time when a corporation will be allowed to exempt itself from federal law based on its Muslim views. Neil Gorsuch, the latest Supreme Court justice and the darling of conservatives, has a history of upholding such claims during his tenure as a lower court justice.

39 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I am saying this has nothing to do with sharia, that is just a pretense. The demonstrations are against muslims.

Obviously. There is ZERO threat of Muslims in the USA establishing Sharia law  in the USA. 

Ironically, many of the trumpist type protesters would be wiser focusing on threats that are real, such as trump's probably successful efforts to trash health care access for mostly trump's BASE voters.  That's a REAL threat to their lives. Not Sharia law. 

5 hours ago, Trentham said:

Before posters prattle on about Sharia being "antiquated, barbaric and abominable" they should inform themselves of the facts.

SHARIA REQUIRES MUSLIMS TO LIVE BY THE LAW OF THE USA. and any other country in which they reside .

But that is not really possible is it, it's one ore the other. To think you can live by sharia and with decent laws of a western country like the USA to which sharia is diametrically opposed is a fantasy. It's like suggesting meat eaters can really be vegetarians if they eat meat.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

If sharia law did not advocate execution and maiming, the protestors would not be there.

Reform Islam now.

Bet more than a few of the protesters support the death penalty, mutilation of child abusers and so on.

A number of Muslim majority countries have not implemented full Sharia Law, there are many variants of implementation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_Islamic_law_by_country

With regard to the OP it appears there were minimal numbers of protesters. In reality just about impossible to see implementation of Sharia Criminal Law in any Western country in the foreseeable future. Don't know much about the anti Islam / Muslim movement in the US protesting against Sharia Law, but if it has any similarity to Oz always by representatives of the "right of centre".

There are Islam reform movements, but they do come up against strong opposition by the hardliners wanting to retain their grip on power; Egypt seems to be having some success.

Edited by simple1

21 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

But that is not really possible is it, it's one ore the other. To think you can live by sharia and with decent laws of a western country like the USA to which sharia is diametrically opposed is a fantasy. It's like suggesting meat eaters can really be vegetarians if they eat meat.

What a lot of nonsense. If you are a devout Muslim and follow Sharia law exactly then you obey the laws of the country where you reside.  End of story. Obfuscating the issue with a vegetarian analogy is not helpful. If some Muslims do not live by the law of the land then they are not being good Muslims. America is basically a Christian country but Christian Americans still break American laws. Nobody runs around demanding that what the bible teaches be thrown out. Besides, in most things the Koran and the bible concur. 

Islam presents far fewer problems in the US than it does it Europe.   For Sharia Law to be implemented, it would require more than a black man with a questionable birth certificate to get over the constitutional issues.   I wouldn't worry until there is the call to prayer in the senate and house and 5 Judges who adhere to Ramadan.   

This whole thing is a canard.   It has most likely been organized to give Trump a boost for his Muslim ban.

The vast majority of Americans I know don't even have a clue what Sharia law is.   

6 hours ago, Trentham said:

Sharia law states that Muslims must live by the law of the land. I am not Muslim or Christian - I am an atheist and therefore am not sticking up for my personal religion.

See http://www.daruliftaa.com/node/5852

There is no contradiction between the law of the USA and Sharia so long as the laws of the USA do not force a Muslim person to sin eg. eat pork or not go to prayer.

Before posters prattle on about Sharia being "antiquated, barbaric and abominable" they should inform themselves of the facts.

SHARIA REQUIRES MUSLIMS TO LIVE BY THE LAW OF THE USA. and any other country in which they reside .

Your post is so naive....sharia is a set of religeous laws that govern how muslims live.... sharia law and western democracy are not compatible in any way shape or form... 

Look, getting real here, there are some religious communities in the U.S. (Muslim, Christian, Mormon, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Satanist, whatever) that may freely agree privately to submit to local religious authorities in things like family law, mediation, social matters, etc. But the reality is that if anything that they do conflicts with U.S. law then U.S. law is in a position to supersede anything that they do. If they keep it on the down low, U.S. law is probably not going to get involved very often, but crossing certain lines like honor killings, and the religious law has ZERO power. 

I don't think there is really any constitutional problem with religious communities doing anything they choose withing their own faith communities as long as it doesn't conflict with U.S. law. 

Religious liberty is overall a positive thing as long as religion doesn't impose it's values too aggressively on non-believers of their thing. In the U.S. the only religion that is actively doing that is sadly Christianity. 

That hit me one time in a red state when I tried to buy wine on a Sunday. No can do! Excuse me, I'm not a Christian. Doesn't matter! 

In the U.S., Islam is not doing that at all! If it came to be that they were, I would solidly support these anti-Sharia protesters. But they are protesting a FAKE issue. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, crankshaft said:

Your post is so naive....sharia is a set of religeous laws that govern how muslims live.... sharia law and western democracy are not compatible in any way shape or form... 

"sharia is a set of religeous laws that govern how muslims live"

Yes, according to the law of the land.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That hit me one time in a red state when I tried to buy wine on a Sunday. No can do! Excuse me, I'm not a Christian. Doesn't matter! 

Not quite the same thing.   You couldn't buy it on a Sunday, but you were free to drink it.   I do get your point, though.   

I would suggest that all the posters who think that sharia law is harmless go visit/live in a muslim country....ie..Egypt, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and then post back what freedoms a non secular/christian person enjoys in those countries.......

The current U.S. vice president, Mr. Pence, who has a very good chance of being president, sooner or later, openly announces he is Christian first before being an American. Yes he was elected vice president and such a blatantly theocratic brag would not hurt his chances to be elected president. Just imagine if someone was running for such a high office and ran around everywhere announcing he is a Muslim first! So again, a threat from Muslim theocracy in the U.S. simply does not exist. Focus on the real theocratic threat!

2 minutes ago, crankshaft said:

I would suggest that all the posters who think that sharia law is harmless go visit/live in a muslim country....ie..Egypt, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and then post back what freedoms a non secular/christian person enjoys in those countries.......

That's not the point. 

The xenophobic protesters were suggesting this is a threat in the U.S.

It is NOT. 

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:

They are rallying against a non-existent law. It is nothing but cover for an anti-Muslim rally. As others have said, it is right wing political correctness.

Scratch below the surface of many a right wing espousal of "women's rights" or "animal rights" (in the case of halal slaughter) and it becomes clear that the real targets are The Scary Muslims.

Just as it should be huh

6 hours ago, Trentham said:

Sharia law states that Muslims must live by the law of the land. I am not Muslim or Christian - I am an atheist and therefore am not sticking up for my personal religion.

See http://www.daruliftaa.com/node/5852

There is no contradiction between the law of the USA and Sharia so long as the laws of the USA do not force a Muslim person to sin eg. eat pork or not go to prayer.

I do not know if you are correct or not so I am not arguing with you about the accuracy of your knowledge of Sharia law. I don't know. 

But it appears to me that the sharia law advocates in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan are not following the local countries  laws and there are many more horrid examples of Sharia law enforcement. So I have doubts that many sharia law advocates would follow the laws of the USA or any other country that has the rule of law. Peace ?

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Reform Islam now.

Where exactly in America is this Sharia law the protesters are protesting about? If they cared about executions, there are states with actual death penalty laws they should be protesting against.

If these protesters truly cared about women's rights as they claim, then instead of protesting against non existent Sharia law, they ought to be protesting these actual atrocities against American women:

In 7 US states, rape victims can be legally forced to share custody of their children with their rapist fathers

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/21/in-7-us-states-rape-victims-can-be-legally-forced-to-share-custody-their-children-with-their-rapist-fathers.html

This is a Right Wing politically correct flavor of anti-Muslim rally, plain and simple. The same people to claim to admire "saying it like it is" don't have the guts to admit their bigotry. On a visceral level, they know they are wrong, hence the need for cover, weak as it is.

15 minutes ago, crankshaft said:

Which ones have you experienced?

9 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Where exactly in America is this Sharia law the protesters are protesting about? If they cared about executions, there are states with actual death penalty laws they should be protesting against.

If these protesters truly cared about women's rights as they claim, then instead of protesting against non existent Sharia law, they ought to be protesting these actual atrocities against American women:

In 7 US states, rape victims can be legally forced to share custody of their children with their rapist fathers

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/21/in-7-us-states-rape-victims-can-be-legally-forced-to-share-custody-their-children-with-their-rapist-fathers.html

This is a Right Wing politically correct flavor of anti-Muslim rally, plain and simple. The same people to claim to admire "saying it like it is" don't have the guts to admit their bigotry. On a visceral level, they know they are wrong, hence the need for cover, weak as it is.

I lived in a state where the death penalty exists and it takes 25 years of legal arguing to carry through the death penalty. And woman that are raped can seek civil damages and criminal penalties against the rapist. To attempt to equate American law with Shira law and criticise the protesters is beyond crazy.  If you want to defend shira law then defend it but to attack American law in your attempt to defend shira law and label the protesters as uncaring about women or death is weak at best and evil at worst. 

3 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I lived in a state where the death penalty exists and it takes 25 years of legal arguing to carry through the death penalty. And woman that are raped can seek civil damages and criminal penalties against the rapist. To attempt to equate American law with Shira law and criticise the protesters is beyond crazy.  If you want to defend shira law then defend it but to attack American law in your attempt to defend shira law and label the protesters as uncaring about women or death is weak at best and evil at worst. 

It is ok if you dont understand a post, but attacking it even though you don't understand it is not wise.

There was no defense of Sharia law in the post, or in this whole  thread as a matter of fact.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

It is ok if you dont understand a post, but attacking it even though you don't understand it is not wise.

There was no defense of Sharia law in the post, or in this whole  thread as a matter of fact.

The attack was on the protesters which appeared to be a defense of Sharia law. Sorry if I misread your words. But it is a little difficult to argue they should protest the death penalty and rape if they cared about death and woman in light of sharia law being a central part of the conversation. Don't mean to personally attack you but to attack your argument tactics and subject matter that you targeted and your examples  of the "insincere" protestors thought process. Peace 

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

So it's now called 'against sharia' in stead of 'against Muslims'. 

Agree with you, but the demonstrators are there showing their anti Muslim stance.

This is just an attempt to hide their bigotry, political correctness of the right.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I am saying this has nothing to do with sharia, that is just a pretense. The demonstrations are against muslims.

Agree with all of the above.

Which is why I find your hypocrisy rather amusing. Didn't seem to have similar cases directed at different targets.

Oh well...

Just now, Thakkar said:

You are either deliberately missing the point for the purpose of trolling, or you seriously lack reading comprehension. If it is the former, my policy is to avoid engagement. If it is the latter, my advice is for you take a remedial reading course.

Easy to read and understand your personal attack. Hope you enjoy your evening. Take care. 

Let's cut to the chase.  Muzzies will never identify or integrate with western culture so there will always be severe problems.

Personally I don't want them in my country as they will never accept our laws, customs and culture.

Therefore they should just relocate back to their Muslim lands and have done with it. 

Edited by Here It Is

So it's now called 'against sharia' in stead of 'against Muslims'. 

There is a difference. People can accept that the so called "moderate" Muslim doesn't want to kill them if they are homosexual, but under sharia................................

The opponents are so dumb that some are saying the protesters are "racist". I guess they don't know that Muslims are not a "race" of people.

4 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Let's cut to the chase.  Muzzies will never identify or integrate with western culture so there will always be severe problems.

Personally I don't want them in my country as they will never accept our laws, customs and culture.

Therefore they should just relocate back to their Muslim lands and have done with it. 

And there you have it.

kudos. Unlike the protesters, at least you are honest. 

12 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

They want to convert the kafirs to Islam.