"My Mate Nate" under investigation - police want to know is he working legally and paying taxes

rooster59

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Displaynameinusebyanotherm said:

A lot of jealousy around here. Nate is a clown but he plays it smart and since he speaks the language fluently im sure he will know how to twist this scorpion non-event soon! The guy is a businessman/manipulator not some pattaya bar stool.

More a bar tool.....:stoner:

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

So what visa or extension is he currently using or not using with out even considering is he here legally at the moment?

not sure; it's just i can assure you that it is well-nigh impossible to get wp for one-off/freelance work

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

(Google translate) "Soon after, someone offered me a job in Thailand. He hired me to make a video for Thailand. It is easy to travel around Thailand and video to promote travel. I was very happy and then answered ok"

"job in thailand"

"
He hired me to make a video"

"I learned a lot from working with this company and then having fun. But I quit that company after I worked there for a year because I did not like it."

I disagree that many 'digital nomads' are stating that on their websites - that is not 'online income' - I think personally if the authorities take any action they will just target these easy wins - especially as he's written in Thai stating that he took a job in Thailand making a video. Maybe he had a WP though, who knows.

Not only needs a work permit.  But all those videos he makes need a permit and a government minder. At least that is what is on the books. 

6 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

not sure; it's just i can assure you that it is well-nigh impossible to get wp for one-off/freelance work

But it just costs money to get a WP for a job where you only have to show up at the office every 90 days when you bring in your passport for a 90 day report.

I'm not sure whether Mormons get some kind of formal WP (volunteer?) for their mission or not.  I'm sure they have the financial resources to be a registered NGO or charity in every country they send the kids to.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, Usernames said:

Unless you own a company and hire four Thais for every foreigner. 

that's not one-off/freelance;

however, since the Mormon Church has more money than god, i wouldn't be surprised if his visas/permits are 

somehow church-related (i'm no expert in that regard)

12 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Bye bye, Nate. BTW, Nate, the videos you make are amateurish. The production value looks like it came out of a high school photography class.

True. But exactly what people love in this part of the world: cheap, ansteurish, childish, overacting. Again: the guy knows what he's doing unlike the majority of "married" guys here who have no clue whatsoever. ??

18 minutes ago, Displaynameinusebyanotherm said:

A lot of jealousy around here. Nate is a clown but he plays it smart and since he speaks the language fluently im sure he will know how to twist this scorpion non-event soon! The guy is a businessman/manipulator not some pattaya bar stool.

It's really going to chap some butts if everyone finds out he's on a 20 year Elite Visa, paid for by his YouTube revenue.

Edited by impulse

Just now, Displaynameinusebyanotherm said:

Or even better: he turns out to be a thai national able to own land. 555. 

We'd have to shield our ears from the sound of so many heads exploding at once.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Maybe, but I kind of like having roads to drive on, water to drink, airports with immigration guys to stamp me in, and cops to keep the muggers away.  None of which are free.

oh  dear, u  wanna see the roads  by me, I should get a rebate for fixing  them. water to drink, our  supply its often black, youre  welcome to try it, personally 150k and 2  wells  later is  better, another rebate  maybe?  cops to keep away  muggers....cops ARE the  muggers  here............

Not many commenting on his video in his defense, he makes some very good points. However, some just dislike him, as he has made it big here. Pure jealousy, due to them probably working as a TEFLER or in a factory in Detroit or Bradford at his age. This guy has a huge fan base. Well done son!

Just now, ThaiCitizen said:

Not many commenting on his video in his defense, he makes some very good points. However, some just dislike him, as he has made it big here. Pure jealousy, due to them probably working as a TEFLER or in a factory in Detroit or Bradford at his age. This guy has a huge fan base. Well done son!

Like the guy or not, or his stuff, there's a lot that could be learned from how he's carved out a living for himself by doing what he enjoys.  In Thailand, no less.  Where others are wondering how long their pile of loot will hold out in Thailand, his is growing bigger while he's having a blast.

Or I can resent the guy.  One path will burn a pit in my stomach.  The other may allow me to grow my nest-egg after I give up my real job.

To anyone who thinks he's an idiot, how much did you make here in Thailand last month? (Full disclosure- I made more than he did, but I didn't have the fun- and mine will end some day when they quit mailing my paycheck to BKK).

14 minutes ago, kannot said:

oh  dear, u  wanna see the roads  by me, I should get a rebate for fixing  them. water to drink, our  supply its often black, youre  welcome to try it, personally 150k and 2  wells  later is  better, another rebate  maybe?  cops to keep away  muggers....cops ARE the  muggers  here............

If you think you're having fun, look up Somalia to see how it could be if nobody paid taxes.  I hear they have beautiful beaches...

Not only needs a work permit.  But all those videos he makes need a permit and a government minder. At least that is what is on the books. 

And the advert that he participates in on Thai television? Not exactly keeping a low profile. I reckon he's got it all covered.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

44 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

that's not one-off/freelance;

however, since the Mormon Church has more money than god, i wouldn't be surprised if his visas/permits are 

somehow church-related (i'm no expert in that regard)

If he is making videos and selling merchandise such as clothing and hats online. he must have a specific work permit for those two things.  If his visa and work permit is to be a missionary, he's going to need to convince the Thai government that torturing animals is God's work.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Not really. Laws and moral are not necessarily the same thing.

Are you trying to tell me that Youtube in anyway can be connected to moral. Unbelieveble. You can take the whole Internet, and you can´t find moral, more than in the way of trying to explain what the word means. That´s why it´s better to leave the things to the laws in the country you reside in. You must be the first one to not know that Internet is world wide and can´t be controlled. Therfore you can not associate either Youtube or Internet with the word moral. Just an impossible mission, but by all means, good luck!

50 minutes ago, Displaynameinusebyanotherm said:

He already has and that video has attracted nearly as many views in 24 hours as his cat v scorpion clip

593ceff945471_ApologyMyMateNate.thumb.png.52025f18e91ebc9022634e11f0a893f2.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwOhgziWaUQ&t=416s

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The My Dude Nate apologists are coming out of the closet.

The plot thickens!

On a blog space where 2 of the biggest complaints are bars closing before 2:00 AM and hookers getting older, surly and more expensive.

I'm not a fan, but this guy is a breath of fresh air.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He is an American, you really haven't a clue do you.

He could have a Thai passport.   I've met several Americans who do.

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He does AND he is American. Australian people say "mate"

Geez.  I call people amigo occasionally.  If you want to bash the guy, do better, please.  It's embarrassing.