MS Office won't work in Win10 - any clues?

t8769

Recently Office20013 has stopped working properly in Win10. Can anyone help with this?
When I opened a Word file, it always came to the front, if another Word file was open. But now, if I open a file, I have to manually switch Word files to see it.

So if file A is open, and I open B, it remains hidden, until I click to bring it onto the PC screen.

This problem is now on 5PCs, so obviously Microsoft have changed something. Is there any way to fix this problem? It’s a real pain - its so f*&(*&(^ annoying.

Perhaps Microsoft is trying to make old software obsolete, forcing me to buy the latest version, but I prefer 2003 drop menus, and don’t want to change.

It's not listed as a known issue of Office and Win10:

Known issues with Office and Windows 10

Applies To: Office 2016 Office 2013

One website suggested a MS Word 'macro' may be running and forcing new documents to be opened in the background --  What happens if you click open a second document -then- immediately hit the {ESC} key?

Another website response indicates WORD Open function is being manipulated by a modified or corrupt app registry key.

What might help is a complete de-installation of your Office 2013 product. Then let a program like CCcleaner take out any traces of the last installment and then install it over again...

It MIGHT help.... 

But no, Microsoft is not doing what you think. I have Office 2013 running and the latest Windows 10 Version. No problem here!

On 6/11/2017 at 0:41 PM, t8769 said:

Recently Office20013 has stopped working properly in Win10. Can anyone help with this?
When I opened a Word file, it always came to the front, if another Word file was open. But now, if I open a file, I have to manually switch Word files to see it.

So if file A is open, and I open B, it remains hidden, until I click to bring it onto the PC screen.

This problem is now on 5PCs, so obviously Microsoft have changed something. Is there any way to fix this problem? It’s a real pain - its so f*&(*&(^ annoying.

Perhaps Microsoft is trying to make old software obsolete, forcing me to buy the latest version, but I prefer 2003 drop menus, and don’t want to change.

Can you confirm that it is Office 2013 and not 2003? I can't remember a change from 2013 to 2016 regarding drop menus.

According to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c only following office suites are compatible with Win10 so Office 2003  mentioned by o/p is not supported:

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

• Office 2016
  • Office 2013/Office 365
  • Office 2010 (exception Office Starter 2010)

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, tprender said:

Why bother, just download Open Office or Libre Office

Ever tried opening a complex Excel spreadsheet or Word document in those apps? It sucks. That's why I will stick with MS Office as 99% of people I deal with use it too. YMMV.

14 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Ever tried opening a complex Excel spreadsheet or Word document in those apps? It sucks. That's why I will stick with MS Office as 99% of people I deal with use it too. YMMV.

The freebies are great if you start and end with them, and only distribute your work to others who use the same one.  But it can take hours and hours to reformat a document, spreadsheet or graph from one to the other.  And those are frustrating hours...

Its Word in Office 2003, which I do prefer to the latest version or Office.

The fact that this is happening on 5PCs indicates that it is a problem with the latest Win10 update, and not anything I did.
This did NOT happen with Win10, 6 months ago, when Word worked perfectly fine.

I have tried different versions of Office 2003, and reinstalling - but not cleaning with C Cleaner, which I could try next time.

Thanks for the advice - but I'm still not able to change this.

Edited by t8769

6 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Can you confirm that it is Office 2013 and not 2003?

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

only [2016, 2013/365, 2010] office suites are compatible with Win10 so Office 2003 mentioned by o/p is not supported:

1 hour ago, t8769 said:

Its Word in Office 2003, which I do prefer to the latest version or Office.

--- --- --- ---

8 minutes ago, balo said:

Just try a re-installation of Office 2013 , that's the first thing I would do .

And run Ccleaner to clean up any old files. 

As you can note, OP has confirmed they're dealing with Office 2003.

That I have done, and have tried different versions of Office 2003.

As this problem persists on 5PCS and did not exist on any of them 6 months ago, indicates that it is a Win10 problem.

6 minutes ago, RichCor said:

As you can note, OP has confirmed they're dealing with Office 2003.

Sorry I missed that , but Office 2003 was released 17 years ago.  That's back in the stone age.   Win 10 was not designed for stone age software.

Just upgrade to a new version or install another OS that is compatible , like Win 8.1 .

51 minutes ago, balo said:

Sorry I missed that , but Office 2003 was released 17 years ago.  That's back in the stone age.   Win 10 was not designed for stone age software.

Just upgrade to a new version or install another OS that is compatible , like Win 8.1 .

I have Office 2010 on my 64 bit Windows 10 and have no problems. It did have quite a few updates after I installed it. You should take a look at available updates to see if any are available for Office.

Yes many times, in the early days there were teething problems but not now.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

The freebies are great if you start and end with them, and only distribute your work to others who use the same one.  But it can take hours and hours to reformat a document, spreadsheet or graph from one to the other.  And those are frustrating hours...

If you stick to .xls and .doc formats there are no problems. The problems arise when using .xlsx and .docx formats.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

I have MS Windows 10 Pro (X86_64)  installed on several computers, this computers also have MS Office Professional Plus 2013 X86_64 all this computers are up-to-date with the latest Windows version 1703 (15063.332) and I cannot reproduce any of the problems reported.

Of course the software on our computers is 100% legal and if we had something like the problems reported I surely would have contacted Microsoft.

21 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

this computers also have MS Office Professional Plus 2013 X86_64 ... and I cannot reproduce any of the problems reported.

I take it you've skipped over ALL the middle posts, where the OP was asked and then confirmed they are using

Microsoft Office 2003

...Unless you're talking about something else entirely unrelated  to the OPs issue.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

I take it you've skipped over ALL the middle posts, where the OP was asked and then confirmed they are using

Microsoft Office 2003

...Unless you're talking about something else entirely unrelated  to the OPs issue.

Maya Cupa, actually I had seen that but had brushed it away as a typo...  We had already serious problems using MS Office 2007 with Windows 10 Pro so we changed... I cannot imagine that MS Office 2003 is still supported... Why want anybody run so old software, compared to MS Office Pro 2003 the latest version of Libreoffice 5.4 works much better and has nearly all options you find in the latest Microsoft office package (best thing it's free, and supported).

14 hours ago, t8769 said:

PS 

Thanks for the suggestion of Libreoffice 5.4, I'll check that out.

I love the simplicity of old Office, the Mac style drop down menus... but I may be forced to upgrade. 

Has anyone used an unofficial copy of Office they've bought here - any problems?

On 13-6-2017 at 1:59 PM, t8769 said:

That I have done, and have tried different versions of Office 2003.

As this problem persists on 5PCS and did not exist on any of them 6 months ago, indicates that it is a Win10 problem.

No, you see it wrong. This is not a Windows 10 problem, but an office 2003 problem. 2003? My oldest office is 2007 and as far as I remember it works on my windows 10. But why do you want to stick with such obsolete software? Not only it is old, but probably full of safety issues.

Dealing with that problem cost more time and energy then upgrading to a newer office. In most malls where they sell software you can buy office 2013 (which runs amazingly fast on Windows 10) for a few 100 Bahts...

I can't promote it, but using a torrent site, you can get it as well... 

23 hours ago, t8769 said:

Has anyone used an unofficial copy of Office they've bought here - any problems?

You obviously need to go to Libre Office if asking this type of question. Follow the advise already given please.

I was hoping there was a setting I could change to fix this little glitch. 2003 runs great, I can't stand the new ribbon, prefer the simple old drop down menus.

Not ready to go over to Libra yet.

This must come from an Wn10 update, as 5 PCs developed this problem at the same time, a few months ago.

Has anyone had problems using a 100bt MS Office CD that you can buy? 

I once bought one from Pantip, only to find it had viruses on it when I got it home.

Torrent sounds good (not that I would ever do such a thing!).

Many thanks

Edited by t8769

You obviously need to go to Libre Office if asking this type of question. Follow the advise already given please.

Unless you actually use Office and then you'll quickly get rid of Libre and get a copy of Office (from this decade).

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

OP, I have win 10 and office 2003, cannot duplicate the fault you describe. If I have a word doc open then open another, the new one appears on top of the old.