New 3BB Fiber 50/10 service w/ Wifi problems...

pianoman

I have just switched from 3BB's ADLS to their Fiber Optic 50/10  and find that I have problems logging my Laptop onto the Wifi....  2 of their Tech's tried for over an hour, and finally left saying  "your laptop problem"....    I have since taken my laptop to multiple locations with Wifi and had no problem logging on to any of them.....    I had my computer repair Tech come and try and he could not get it to work either, left saying "3BB Problem"....   I am now waiting for the 3BB Tech's to come back, hopefully to change out the router, but I don't have much faith that it will solve the problem...   To add to the "Craziness" of the situation, my Smart phone logs onto the Wifi no problem....

Any one else experience such a problem or someone have any ideas other than running lines to  the 3 places in the house and under our outside Sala where I usually use the laptop???

Pianoman

Specifically what kind of logging on problems?

Do you see the 3BB Wifi router connection and when entering the logon password it's rejected?  Maybe your computer don't even see 3BB Wifi router connection/signal?  

More logon problem specifics needed.

9 hours ago, pianoman said:

I have problems logging my Laptop onto the Wifi.

Change the router wifi channel.

You may need to try several before you get one that works. You may also need to fall back to a slower protocol, depending on which one you are currently set to use.

Do this from the router setup page either by connecting with an ethernet cable, or via some other device that does connect by wifi. Or get the 3BB techs back to do it for you.

If you still have your previous 'router' then you *should* be able to use it as a WiFi Access Point (with DHCP feature disabled, and assigned a slightly different LAN IP address; ie: 192.168.1.2), and use an Ethernet Cable to connect the LAN to LAN ports to your new router. 

You could then disable the WiFi feature of your new router if no other device is using it.

13 hours ago, RichCor said:

If you still have your previous 'router' then you *should* be able to use it as a WiFi Access Point (with DHCP feature disabled, and assigned a slightly different LAN IP address; ie: 192.168.1.2), and use an Ethernet Cable to connect the LAN to LAN ports to your new router. 

You could then disable the WiFi feature of your new router if no other device is using it.

Thank you for that suggestion, with my very limited computer knowledge that makes sense logically, now if I can just get the 3BB Tech';s to understand and try your suggestion, taking into account the fact that I don't speak Thai, I have found their English abilities to be very lacking....   But I will give that a try...

Pianoman 

Repurposing your old WiFi Router and reconfiguring it is something you should be able to do yourself.

The general procedure is to power it up, connect to it from your laptop, un-tick the DHCP Server feature, edit the device LAN IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2, save settings, power down, connect an Ethernet cable to the old and new router LAN jacks, power it back up ...and you should be done (and able to WiFi in and connect to the Internet). 

You might also want to explore reloading the WiFi drivers on your laptop. See if that corrects the issue.

Get the latest drivers direct from the laptop manufacturers support website and install them.

In a small number of instances the new router's encryption settings may cause issues connecting. Downloading the latest drivers for your laptop may help. Alternatively, changing the new router's WiFi security setting limit connection types (WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES) to WPA2/AES may resolve your laptop issue.  And, as other's have mentioned, changing channel used, and channel width (20/40) can be tried.

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

And, as other's have mentioned, changing channel used, and channel width (20/40) can be tried.

I would be surprised if my suggestion about the wifi channel doesnt work.

I find that it solves many wifi problems and has the advantage of being free, instant and simple (assuming you can access the router setup page). Certainly worth ruling out before trying anything more complicated, I think.

Archived