Honda continues its campaign to replace faulty airbags

webfact

Honda continues its campaign to replace faulty airbags
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co Ltd previously announced that some affected Honda vehicles in Thailand may require inspection and replacement of Takata airbag inflators.

The reason for this replacement is that the affected Takata airbag inflators might deploy with excessive internal pressure when activated. In such a case, the airbag inflator casing might rupture, which could result in a safety risk for passengers and drivers.

Honda Automobile (Thailand) is asking the owners of the affected vehicles to contact any authorised Honda dealer nationwide and schedule an appointment for a free replacement of the affected parts.

Honda owners can also check whether their vehicles’ airbag inflators are subject to replacement of the affected parts with their vehicle identification number by accessing www.honda.co.th/vinsearch or by calling any authorised Honda dealer nationwide.

In the event that vehicle owners have to replace the airbag module after it has been activated, Honda strongly encourages that any replacement airbag module used to repair their vehicle be purchased directly from authorized Honda dealers only, and to refrain from using secondhand airbag modules widely sold in the market as some of them may not meet safety standards, and some of the defected inflators might have not been replaced.

Honda Automobile (Thailand) regrets this inconvenience. 

It has assured customers that it has made this announcement to demonstrate its commitment to their safety.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30317947

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-13

I highly recommend every Honda owner checking if their VIN is in the recall. I just retired from working at a Honda dealer in the US. Last I heard seven people have died from the airbag sending shrapnel  (the airbag casing) into their necks and cutting their jugular vein. It takes about an hour to replace both, protect your own and your families  lives!

11 minutes ago, Aguda said:

necks and cutting their jugular vein. It takes about an hour to replace both

Only an hour to replace neck & veins.  :biggrin:

Seriously the actual Takata airbag inflators become the shrapnel then.?

In Thailand Honda send the owner a letter if the car is down for recall.

Sorry should have proofread  my reply. The airbag propellant is in a metal cylinder with holes for the gas to escape and fill the airbag. Living in a hot and humid region such as Thailand can cause the inflator to absorb further moisture. In the event of an accident  and airbag deployment the inflator propellant  can expand with excessive force resulting in a shattered cylinder and shrapnel. It seems that Takata in making the airbag failed to follow it's own policy of keeping the propellant in airtight storage and it absorbed moisture. In the US, Honda recommends  anyone living in a hot and humid state to replace the inflator. I imagine eventually  all states will get them replaced. As far as Honda Thailand sending the owner a letter, it is difficult to keep up with owner and address  changes. Call and see if your Honda is on the recall. It took me less than a minute to key in a VIN and check for a customer.

I just made an appointment to have the passenger side airbag replaced on my 2014 Mazda 2.  Mazda announced the recall in Thailand about 3 months ago but I have not received any notification from Mazda yet.

They checked the VIN and confirmed my car was affected. But "no stock" until the end of the month. Told me that it would take about an hour.

the replacements are "like for like"... all of them to date, globally... what in software we would call a "patch".... 

it has to be that way.... for now..... 

the inflators (explosive device) are being replaced... but not the other components of the airbag devices because a different replacement chemical mix would change the equations of the rest of the airbag system, which is obviously not a standard size or shape etc for every car model and year..... so..... the exact ****same**** chemical is being put back in.. although in some of the failures it may have been how it was manufactured not the chemical.... but that is not the simple variable at play in these incidents.. it is the chemical explosive that is.

i.e. we know that none of the other industry mfgs use the chemical Takata chose (and is still being used) and that the reason they did not go for that chemical mix was the risk of exactly what happened and still is happening.

the latest thing is that "the industry" is still researching and discussing, inside the industry, longer term ideas....

and as well..... it's not just Takata.... and not just the inflators that have been under discussion for many years because the air bags themselves, the actual nylon 6,6, airbag, has potential aging issues that have not ever been really fully investigated.... as I know all of this

think of how long... and the temperature variations... involved in vehicles that age.... and how compact the airbag units are.... and how precisely they must work.... and that they do involve an explosion...

pretty impressive actually how well that they do work given all of that.

another little factoid on this.... is that Thailand is home (yes, it's a real "hub" for something) to the world's largest single air bag fabric manufacturing plant.. as of 2014.... and airbag exports from Thailand have roughly doubled in the last two years... and it's a still growing industry for sure.

Elon Musk has suggested airbags and seatbelts will go away.. because of self-driving cars... but I myself would think the opposite...... even if their reliability, when needed, even stays where it is now.. and didn't improve.... I can't imagine vehicle manufacturers ever not placing airbags in those vehicles.... vehicles in which passengers might not even be seated.... and yet still stopping quickly.... for something the passengers are not even looking out for at all because no person is driving..... no matter how wonderful the AI computer is that is driving the car.. or because it is working.

Edited by maewang99

21 hours ago, Aguda said:

airbag deployment the inflator propellant  can expand with excessive force resulting in a shattered cylinder and shrapnel.

Sort of a sad story people dying when l read people saying, didn't want that car because it hasn't got enough air-bags. :sad:

• 1 month later...

the Aussies seem to just now be getting wind that the Takata recall replacement airbags...

are "like for like"....

except perhaps for an added desiccant.. which hasn't been tested yet.... it's the exact same chemical explosive as before... of course it is. if it were not the airbags would have to be reconfigured and that would be very expensive.. and would include more than just inflators...

but the amazing thing is that the Aussie ACCC seems to just now.. July 24, 2017... be figuring this out! what the ????? or so it shows up in the web news...

this was kicked off because there are problems with one of the desiccants now perhaps.. so it's back in the news and more recalls.... in the USA only as to the newest issue. NHTSA USA filing... by Takata itself. Ford is trying to fight this latest aspect.

Edited by maewang99

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Takata filed for Bankruptcy.So thats that.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm not sure what you mean by your post because it has no effect on the recall and fixing of the airbag issue. The reason they filed was to have an orderly wind-down of the company (and the sale of assets to a successor corp. [already done]) and to set aside funds to continue with the airbag repairs.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, Aguda said:

I highly recommend every Honda owner checking if their VIN is in the recall. I just retired from working at a Honda dealer in the US. Last I heard seven people have died from the airbag sending shrapnel  (the airbag casing) into their necks and cutting their jugular vein. It takes about an hour to replace both, protect your own and your families  lives!

Not wanting to make light of the issue but peoples' perception/misperception of risk always facinates me. The defect in question causes a very very small (deminimus) number of the airbag inflators to shatter when deployed in an accident, which sometimes causes injury or death to vehicle occupants.  To repeat: Sometimes during an accident the inflators will splinter; and again sometimes an injury/death will occur...that's a double sometimes. To date, 7 deaths have been reported in the United States...out of what...millions of cars with the potentially defective airbags.

So to fix these cars, we're talking millions of road trips to and from dealer service departments. I would hazard a guess that there have already been, or certainly will be, many more people injured and killed (and I'm just counting car owners here) in accidents getting to and from these service repairs than if the inflators are just left intact. Just sayin'.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I'm not sure what you, mean by your post because it has no effect on the recall and fixing of the airbag issue. The reason they filed was to have an orderly wind-down of the company (and the sale of assets to a successor corp. [already done]) and to set aside funds to continue with the airbag repairs.

Unless its changed Hondas SQAssurance had Preferred Supplier,and 2 alternative suppliers to attain continuity.Just change the bloody things .?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app