Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

webfact

2 minutes ago, Alexpho said:

I sorta disagree with this article. Misleading to say the least. After traveling thru Suvan for so many times, I don't recall a bad experience. Foremost, it is very clean and modern, unlike other airports that I have traveled to. Now if the flight was delayed or you had a problem with the airline, well thats not the airport's fault.

There are many things wrong in Thailand, but BKK airport is not one of these.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Load of cobblers , I pass through both Madrid and Barcelona on a regular basis, they are without doubt  both dreadful with the same lousy service that inflicts all of Spain in regards of customer service. Swampy is ten fold better.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I agree with you on Barajas - the nightmare we went through when we were  overbooked.

Nobody in charge, nobody to give information.

The nightmare - several hours in the middle of the night - ended however on a positive note.

A bank note to be precise.

We got 600 euro each from the airline for overbooking.

"We" that is I and gf, because I insisted - the other overbooked passengers were not informed of their rights by Barajas....

The airport code happens to be..... MAD! Nomen est omen and all that 555.

However I have to disagree with you on the merits of Skytrax.

Not only did they call Turkish Airlines European airline of the year for several years now.

But have you ever flown TK? We were once booked in a non existing (last) row - with boarding pass & boarding & unhelpfull waitresses and all !

And have you ever tried to use their website? Just try to get in..... good luck.

I suspect the overbooking was due to one dubious airline called Iberia but as you stated, Barajas information are indeed not up to scratch. I flew Turkish a few weeks ago, it wasn´t bad, it wasn´t good and yes their web page is poor to say the least,. Just now I tried to get a boarding pass for my gf and ....impossible !

15 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

I suspect the overbooking was due to one dubious airline called Iberia but as you stated, Barajas information are indeed not up to scratch. I flew Turkish a few weeks ago, it wasn´t bad, it wasn´t good and yes their web page is poor to say the least,. Just now I tried to get a boarding pass for my gf and ....impossible !

Iberia yes, you guessed it 555.

And they have a cheap daughter these days, Vueling, try that one.....

Do enjoy your hopefully short stopover in Istanbul, including the 2 hours (more or less) bus trip between gates and the sloooooooooooooooow safety check when transiting.

Do not forget to bring a foldable chair if you wish to sit a while in the hall - and use the airplane's toilet before landing, as it will be a while before you will find another one.

Speak euphorically about Erdogan and do not mention Kurds, Gulen or Gollum.

22 hours ago, bendejo said:

At Dulles airport outside of Washington DC you leave the terminal and enter a vehicle that resembles a Star Wars troop carrier that takes you to your plane, and the whole boarding experience takes a while. ...

Dulles opened in 1962, using those vehicles.  I think only international flights use them now.

As a teenager in the late 60's we used to drive out the 17 mile access road for fun.  Sometimes you'd see only a half-dozen cars in the round trip.  We used to drag race sometimes on a straight stretch right by the I-495 beltway.  I once saw a Ferrari blow past us and disappear, and we were doing 85 miles per hour.  I got a tour of the control tower when I was a Boy Scout.

10 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Singapore airport is nothing special , I used to use it every two weeks to go back to Thailand , half decent pub style bar but nothing much else

.Surely that tongue is embedded in your cheek.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Dulles opened in 1962, using those vehicles.  I think only international flights use them now.

As a teenager in the late 60's we used to drive out the 17 mile access road for fun.  Sometimes you'd see only a half-dozen cars in the round trip.  We used to drag race sometimes on a straight stretch right by the I-495 beltway.  I once saw a Ferrari blow past us and disappear, and we were doing 85 miles per hour.  I got a tour of the control tower when I was a Boy Scout.

haha yeah. flew into Dulles many times back in the 80s.  maddingly silly that the metro didn't go all the way to the airport.  Nice road that last stretch

20 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Inferring Don Mueang is better? Duh!

Personally, I've never had a problem with Swampy in the last nine years.

Please point out where I infer that DM is better. I didn't mention DM as that would be off topic. Duh!

2 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

Wiggy if you think Swampy is a Dump never fly into JFK  or for that matter most aging US airports. Swampy is a temple compared with the latter airports.

I've been to San Francisco, Portland (OR) and Las Vegas. They were all OK, but nothing special. Heathrow has improved (especially on speed through security) but still needs to improve. Singapore is my favourite (mainly due to the carpeting muffling the noise).

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

.Surely that tongue is embedded in your cheek.

No actually I didnt rate it at all , good transport links and as I said bar was ok but thats the only place I went to. Sat at the bar until my gate was called

21 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Some good points there but it's a bit selective. If your main experience with BKK is to/from Singapore, then the distance to walk from gate to immigration is not that great, because they tend to use the same gates that are close ( E1/2...I forget which ones).....

Actually, I normally flight from Bangkok to Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Bejing, Zhengzhou, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Ho Chi Min City, Mumbai, Delhi, Moscow, Teheran, Doha, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Cairo, Milan, Rome, London.

And Singapore some time.

34 minutes ago, Tech65 said:

Actually, I normally flight from Bangkok to Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Bejing, Zhengzhou, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Ho Chi Min City, Mumbai, Delhi, Moscow, Teheran, Doha, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Cairo, Milan, Rome, London.

And Singapore some time.

Well, in that case you are extraordinarily lucky not to have had a far distant Gate and the kilometre plus walk on arrival nor a bus to/from an aircraft.

I would definately swap Suvarnabhumi place with Frankfurt. Frankfurt must be the most outdated airport in the world.

I travelled their for a connecting flight, but never again. On arrival you decend steps down onto a cattletruck bus, to take you to a terminal. Then you have to go through security. Afterwhich you do a 500 metre walk to a mini station and wait for an electric train to take you less than 200 metres to another terminal. Again you have to do over 500 metres to a depature gate. Then it is get on the cattle bus again to go to the next plane to ascend the steps up into the plane. Trying to do all that in 45 minutes I nearly missed the flight. Frankfurt is still living in the 1960's. Suvarnabhumi is Big and Beautiful artistic engineering creation. The direction signs are in English as well as Thai and you never seem to be short of time for a connecting flight. Frankfurt was not built with German efficiency in mind. Love Suvarnabhumi, hate Frankfurt.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:40 AM, Wiggy said:

Please point out where I infer that DM is better. I didn't mention DM as that would be off topic. Duh!

Did you not see my question mark at the end of the first sentence?

Please don't get your knickers in a knot.

10 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Did you not see my question mark at the end of the first sentence?

Please don't get your knickers in a knot.

Got it. You were suggesting the survey infers that DM is better. I thought (obviously) that you meant I had inferred that. Apologies, and consider my knickers duly unknotted. :wink:

1 hour ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

BKK is perfectly fine and always a welcome site when coming home. 

Problem is immigration needs more staff. 

I normally pay 1200bt for meet and greet express immigration. Its on the interweb as Limo hire , you just don't book a Limo

How is Air Trnsit a great Airline, it is a charter airline  and has had its share of problems.

It is not a country airline at all and should not even be on the list.

It also has cramped seating, and I would even take Air Canada before I would take

Air Transit.

Geeer

On 2017-6-13 at 4:36 PM, ALFREDO said:

Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Terminal not much better - long ways to and from Gates - DMK slowly now new People movers get installed. ?

KL International    (KLIA) is hell if you've been sitting for 8 or 10 hours , it's 4.30 am,  and all of a sudden, you're ejected into their international airport and start off with two or three sloping ramps and a looong walk to the first obstacle, which is security;  another long walk and once again, security, as you enter the transit areas, and then a long walk to Q16 or wherever your next waiting room is.    I'm not a slow walker, and it normally takes me about 30 minutes to reach the 'Q' rooms.

In my opinion, Singapore is the best, but swampy does not deserve a 10th place in 'worst airports'.

Archived