Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi named among the world’s worst airports

webfact

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to disagree but everyone has an opinion. Flown into half or more of the airports on the list not all. Agree Singapore is best airport agree Singapore Airlines Etithad and Qatar are great airlines. But Swampy IMO is one of the best airports in the world no doubt about it. 

As far as Hong Kong being great well the Cathay Pacific lounges and first class lounges are great but the airport is just ok and I hate it when they have to bus us to the terminal after a long flight to HK. Also China Eastern Airlines crew was pretty good the last time I flew them. The passengers on China Eastern were difficult customers IMO. 

20 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

But Swampy IMO is one of the best airports in the world no doubt about it. 

In premium cabin it is barely adequate, for the typical economy class passenger, it is woeful. 

They had every chance to get it right: they had the models in Changi, Incheon, HKIA,  an enormous budget, more than sufficient land on a greenfield site...and still managed to F it up.

The way it functions today, including the increasingly ludicrous airport train link, it wouldn't be in the top 50 in the world....IMHO

8 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Whoever conducted the survey has obviously never been to Yemen

Tripoli and Damascus are the worst I have been to (both multiple times but before the wars). Alexandria is pretty awful, Kuwait as well. Beijing Capital used to be shocking , so too Karachi...but nothing could compare with the grossness (if that's even a word) of Lagos back late 70s

14 hours ago, MobileContent said:

I heard BER will have another delay.

For me the worst airport is Berlin Tegel. Took a flight from Frankfurt to Tegel last year and we had to wait for 2 hours to get our bags. Swampy is a great airport.

Tegel is a huge embarrassment for Germany. They should just shut this place down. I still remember the Aussies sitting next to me and shaking their heads at having to walk along the tarmac in the heat, having 2 immigration guys checking a queue of 300 people and having to wait 1 hour for their bags in an area with next to no air condition and no facilities apart from a toilet. And now we even got scam taxis. 200 euros to downtown is not unheard of. 

My favourite is London City ( LCY). As an alternative entry point from Hamburg, Berlin, Amsterdam, other places...it doesn't get much better. Even when last off the plane ( and it is a walk across the Tarmac), the queue is usually quite fast, luggage pretty instant...and onto the DLR within 10 or 15 minutes of landing. I'm sure they'll find a way to F it up, but for now it's great.

I've always had a pleasant experience at Suvarnabhum Airport. Some delays yes, but i've had that everywhere I've been.

These surveys are quite often way off the mark. Worst experience I ever had was at Amsterdam Schipol Airport. 4 hour stop over and not a single comfortable seat unless you pay for it..... Ended up sleeping on a freezing cold floor.

Well I honestly like Suvarnabhumi Airport i never mind going there and plenty of restaurants and toilets.cant wait till it gets connected with bullet trains.then i do not like Dubai airport always annoying to find my way around there with their elevators and subway.Manila airport also a horrible third world airport where all are try to scam u one way or the other.

21 hours ago, icare999 said:

nonsense i travel all over world and theirs nothing wrong with airport at all what is being compared its simply nonsense to claim this 

All I can say to that is that those airports you use must really be bad.

It's probably fine for those that can use lounges, but for most, the seating area is pretty rubbish.

However, Heathrow terminal 3 which isn't on the list is IMO worse than Swampy. At least Swampy has travellators and small baggage carts on the airside. It even has a lot of toilets. Heathrow had neither when I last had to use that c******e and the toilet provision is dire. They used to have plenty of seating, but removed a lot to put up more shops.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Tripoli and Damascus are the worst I have been to (both multiple times but before the wars). Alexandria is pretty awful, Kuwait as well. Beijing Capital used to be shocking , so too Karachi...but nothing could compare with the grossness (if that's even a word) of Lagos back late 70s

I bet Dhahran airport in 1992 could compare. It was basically a big shed.

The Athens airport was awful, but I read that it's been replaced since I passed through there.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I bet Dhahran airport in 1992 could compare. It was basically a big shed.

The Athens airport was awful, but I read that it's been replaced since I passed through there.

Yes, Athens is very new and super efficient now, including a good rail link direct to Syntagma. My greatest annoyance with BKK is the lack of an efficient light-rail link ( the thing that's there just doesn't meet the needs of travelers)

I think Dhahran has a new one now; Riyadh remains a dump ( although 5 years I've not been).

I don't believe that those are the worst. Maybe the are the worst from the best? I mean, that for sure there were out of the ranking such airports as Kabul or Karachi, as well as some regional airline, that are for sure worse than those in the list.

3 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

Madrid Barajas 8th best in the world ????? Please....and where is Zurich ? way better than Madrid. Wait til Skytrax awards come , they are much better.

I agree with you on Barajas - the nightmare we went through when we were  overbooked.

Nobody in charge, nobody to give information.

The nightmare - several hours in the middle of the night - ended however on a positive note.

A bank note to be precise.

We got 600 euro each from the airline for overbooking.

"We" that is I and gf, because I insisted - the other overbooked passengers were not informed of their rights by Barajas....

The airport code happens to be..... MAD! Nomen est omen and all that 555.

However I have to disagree with you on the merits of Skytrax.

Not only did they call Turkish Airlines European airline of the year for several years now.

But have you ever flown TK? We were once booked in a non existing (last) row - with boarding pass & boarding & unhelpfull waitresses and all !

And have you ever tried to use their website? Just try to get in..... good luck.

It's far from my favorite airport but one of the ten worst in the world .... it's very far from that.  Clearly those who prepared this report have not had the pleasure of visiting some of the interesting locations that I have.  Many of which I have an overwhelming urge to clean the bottom of your shoes after walking through them.

4 hours ago, Prbkk said:

In premium cabin it is barely adequate, for the typical economy class passenger, it is woeful. 

They had every chance to get it right: they had the models in Changi, Incheon, HKIA,  an enormous budget, more than sufficient land on a greenfield site...and still managed to F it up.

The way it functions today, including the increasingly ludicrous airport train link, it wouldn't be in the top 50 in the world....IMHO

Usually agree with you and your opinions but we strongly disagree on this one. Fly 150,000 miles a year all over the world since 2008 and Swampy is beautifully decorated, well runned, nice airline clubs, nice atmosphere and gardens and art work and one on the best airports in the world.  Much better than Hong Kong or Tokyo or South Korea or Beijing or Shanghai. Peace ?

Changi is rightly top in my view, but few airports are designed anything like it. Many have you walk for miles in circles through endless shops, others like Abu Dhabi are flea pits with few facilities (Etihad), some  have no (or no  working) travallators and more miles to walk to and from gates.

It also makes a difference if you are business class or cattle class of course with VIP lounges, quick passport control, luggage checks  and immigration lines. 

As for the airlines, well, money talks again, but Emirates is good value usually.

I sorta disagree with this article. Misleading to say the least. After traveling thru Suvan for so many times, I don't recall a bad experience. Foremost, it is very clean and modern, unlike other airports that I have traveled to. Now if the flight was delayed or you had a problem with the airline, well thats not the airport's fault.

Archived