High speed train from China

EricTh

It seems that the high speed train from China might be kicking off soon as can be seen from today's article in Bangkok Post.

So the train comes from Nong Kai province and split into two lines, one to Bangkok and another to Rayong.

Why is there no line to Chiang Mai from Nong Kai?

Isn't the line to Rayong superfluous because it is so near Bangkok.

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Since the engineers who designed the system and the politicians who approved it are active TV CM posters, I look forward to their informed responses to your questions.?

Engineering input? Thou jesteth methinks.

Politicians drew a line on the map and decreed that this was the route.

And, Rayong isn't exactly close to Bangkok, roughly straight line is 150km of currently poor transportation infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Rayong is the sea port so it makes perfect sense for the train to go there, doesn't it?

There are many sea ports, you can't possibly go to every port. That should be served by ordinary less expensive train to Bangkok.

There is also a Bangkok sea port.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

There are many sea ports, you can't possibly go to every port. That should be served by ordinary less expensive train to Bangkok.

There is also a Bangkok sea port.

Laem Chabang is in eastern Thailand, on the Gulf of Thailand, and is the country's main deep sea port. It consists of several separate ports, and occupies 2,572 acres (10.41 km2).[5]

Bangkok port handles a small volume compared to Laem Chabang.  In fact there are not many sea ports of significance.  Port Authority of Thailand website lists only three.

The train will not be coming soon.  The construction of the Thai part is scheduled to take 3 years.  Likely it will take much longer as things normally do in Thailand.  The project has not even been approved yet and there are a lot of issues to resolve.  Design has not been done.

As often your imagination is not consistant with facts.

Take a guess on this: how many chinese workers will be imported to dig the ditches and lay the rails over the course of 5 years from beginning to end of this Thai-Chin rail line?

The number has already been negotiated between the governments. There will be 764.32 Chinese.

IN MY OPINION look beyond Rayong to Cambodia in the future and nothing to Chiang Mai because it's about the Chinese going to Bkk and through Thailand to Malaysia, not to make transport better for Thais.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 6/14/2017 at 0:04 PM, Crossy said:

And, Rayong isn't exactly close to Bangkok, roughly straight line is 150km of currently poor transportation infrastructure.

Right.  Plus, it may finally have dawned on people that funneling absolutely everything to Bangkok just makes Bangkok even more of a troublespot/bottleneck than it already is. 

And why no train from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai: 

1. Why, actually?  There's not a lot of need to connect these places.

2. Looked at a map recently?   It'd be spendy. :)

There is a need to connect Chiang Mai with Bangkok but good luck offering that cheaper than air travel is now, starting at 500 Baht. And it'll still be a lot slower than by air.

37 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Right.  Plus, it may finally have dawned on people that funneling absolutely everything to Bangkok just makes Bangkok even more of a troublespot/bottleneck than it already is. 

And why no train from Nong Khai to Chiang Mai: 

1. Why, actually?  There's not a lot of need to connect these places.

2. Looked at a map recently?   It'd be spendy. :)

There is a need to connect Chiang Mai with Bangkok but good luck offering that cheaper than air travel is now, starting at 500 Baht. And it'll still be a lot slower than by air.

Try getting two big heavy bags on a plane at 500 baht.

I'd always go by train if I can. Get to see the scenery, other people etc, and a whole lot less chance of ending up stuck in the airport. Also get a good night's sleep and save the cost of an hotel for the night.

Besides I hate flying now as it's just like cattle being shoved around and big queues, never mind the so called security since the world went mad.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Try getting two big heavy bags on a plane at 500 baht.

I'd always go by train if I can. Get to see the scenery, other people etc, and a whole lot less chance of ending up stuck in the airport. Also get a good night's sleep and save the cost of an hotel for the night.

Besides I hate flying now as it's just like cattle being shoved around and big queues, never mind the so called security since the world went mad.

You have to be the only person who would prefer a train over an airplane! I want to get to my destination quickly. Air travel is now cheaper than any other form of travel. Good night's sleep on a train???

6 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You have to be the only person who would prefer a train over an airplane! I want to get to my destination quickly. Air travel is now cheaper than any other form of travel. Good night's sleep on a train???

Train travel, door to door, between many European cities is faster and cheaper than air travel. 

1 hour trip to the airport, check in an hour before your 1 hour flight, 1 hour trip from airport to city at other end.

The train goes from the center of one city to the center of another at 300 kilometers an hour.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, elektrified said:

Hardly.

I hate flying now ( I used to love it ) because of all the c*** that has been brought in. I hate being rushed through security like a bunch of sheep. I hate going to C M airport and having to put everything through the scanner just to go in the terminal ( if I don't have to at Swampy, what is the big deal at C M? ), I hate being ripped off by the songtheaws to get to the airport, just because it's a little bit further than Central. In short I hate everything about flying out of C M airport.

Conversely, I CAN get a good night's sleep on the train and happy not to have to pay hotel one night. I ENJOY the romance of train travel, I enjoy seeing the scenery, I enjoy seeing other people on the train and sometimes getting into conversations. In short, I ENJOY travelling by train.

I've made more train trips in LOS than I can remember, and enjoyed all of them.

BTW, travelling is part of the experience, not, IMO, something to be got through as fast as possible.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, Peterw42 said:

Train travel, door to door, between many European cities is faster and cheaper than air travel. 

1 hour trip to the airport, check in an hour before your 1 hour flight, 1 hour trip from airport to city at other end.

The train goes from the center of one city to the center of another at 300 kilometers an hour.

I should have said "within SE Asia".

On 6/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

IN MY OPINION look beyond Rayong to Cambodia in the future and nothing to Chiang Mai because it's about the Chinese going to Bkk and through Thailand to Malaysia, not to make transport better for Thais.

Recent emphasis upon / pushing the build up of "Eastern Economic Corridor" (EEC).

On 6/16/2017 at 3:46 PM, elektrified said:

No he's not the only person.

I have had enough of arriving early, removing my belt, removing my shoes, surrendering liquids, removing laptops, being subjected to holding my arms in the air as a scanner slowly passes over my body (and probably is not healthy) and then waiting again to board the plane.....................  

Doctor warns about health risks of TSA body scanners

"I think it's potentially a real danger to the public," Dr. Edward Dauer, head of radiology at Florida Medical Center was quoted as saying by the South Florida Sun Sentinel. Contrary to popular belief, even the so-called "small doses" of radiation emitted from the machines are toxic, and represent "additional exposure" that could lead to the onset of cancer, he said.

http://www.naturalnews.com/053628_TSA_body_scanners_radiation.html#