Teenaged tourist drowns, four others rescued on Phuket beaches

snoop1130

Teenaged tourist drowns, four others rescued on Phuket beaches

Winai Sarot

1_2017614162954335_AUxYFKAmHVMaBKfVMtbRlDuuQOkkdRkeliDrsDdA_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Another Chinese tourist drowned and four others were rescued at Phuket beaches in two days, prompting the Phuket Governor to urge officials to find better safety solutions for tourists.

The governor was present at the scene when the body of an 18-year-old Chinese tourist, Wei Peixin, washed up at Kamala Beach this morning after rescue workers were unable to locate him despite an hour-long search yesterday evening. 

“Mr Wei had gone swimming in a red-flagged zone with two friends, He Xianyu and Zhao Shihao, both 18. His friends were rescued by lifeguards, but his body was not found until this morning,” Lt Col Somnuek Damkaew of Kamala Police told the Phuket Gazette.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Teenaged-tourist-drowns-four-others-rescued-Phuket/66696?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-6-14

Someone's son dies and we have a pack of brilliant posters making light of it. These kids were on a trip of their live's most likely, had never seen the ocean and never thought of the danger, they were here to have some fun! 

This does happen too often and still the Thai Government and their tourist agencies don't bother to warn unaware people. Or maybe it's the Chinese tour agencies who are too greedy to care as well. Either way, it's a lack of education and a tragedy waiting to happen. 

I go for a body surf when there are red flags, I grew up at the beach. I sit and read the currents, check out the rocky areas as well as other dangers.s I also figure out where the peaks are as well as the rips are before I ever get in. I always wear surf fins and I'm still here at 62. These poor kids didn't have a clue what they were getting into.

A bit of empathy once in a while would be nice to read. What if was your 18 year old kid?

My sympathy to his family and friends who were lucky to live.

Maybe it is time to make it illegal to swim when red flags are flying. On-the-spot hefty fines for foolhardy souls who brave raging seas and survive to tell the tale should help end this tragic waste of lives life and help restore Phuket's  reputation as a resort rather than a final resting place. 

On 6/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, Just1Voice said:

Chinese too stupid go know what red flags mean?? 

If you read the linked article, you'd see that a Thai guy drowned, and a couple of Americans were rescued- along with others recently.  Which causes me to wonder if the red flags are being properly used.

Imagine saving up for years to make the trip of a lifetime only to arrive and find calm seas, red flags and lots of people swimming anyway.  

If it's anything like the seatbelt sign on Asian airlines, you know you're going to have to get up and pee anyway because they never turn the seatbelt sign off.  But the seatbelt sign absolves the airline of any guilt or liability, just like the red flags absolve the locals of any blame. 

Go to southern California (or any beach in the USA) and you'll see people swimming with 2-4' breakers- because that's why they spend their tourist $$$ to go to beaches.  The difference is a well trained, well equipped lifeguard staff.  Which is the least they owe to their paying guests.  Never mind the value of a human life...

Edited by impulse