5 Year DL renewal in Phuket

merijn

Hi All,

My 5 Year DL is expired on 24 May but i'm not able to renew it before 15 July.

The information is not really clear but what i can find from the Thai Department of Land Transport website https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

the DL can be expired up to one year before any test (Theory or practice) has to be done.

If i read it correct i can do the renewal of a expired DL without any issue and only with the passport with 1 year visa extension copy, Certificate of residence and old DL.

After the reaction, color blindness test and the famous movie i should get the new DL for another 5 year and 10 months.

But i don't know if Phuket Land Transportation Department are using this guideline or that they have there own rules.

Does anybody has some first hand experience with Phuket DL renewals.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, all correct.

Just to clarify, you may renew up to one year after expiration without additional requirements, but during that time you are driving without a valid DL.

Thanks Stevenl and Schlog for the confirmation.

As i don't return to Thailand until 13 July i don't have a great risk of driving without a valid DL in Thailand :-)

Yes, confirmed. I renewed my 5 years DL last January. A week after expiration. Easy. Just be sure to get certificate of residence from the immigration when you applied. Went to the immigration the day before to get the certificates (1 per DL). Then the next morning went to the DL office. Took half day. Reaction / color test, then the movie and wait. Done

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Yes, confirmed. I renewed my 5 years DL last January. A week after expiration. Easy. Just be sure to get certificate of residence from the immigration when you applied. Went to the immigration the day before to get the certificates (1 per DL). Then the next morning went to the DL office. Took half day. Reaction / color test, then the movie and wait. Done

Thanks for that, just a small question.

Is there a cut of time when you have to be at the DL office or do you have to be there at 08:30.

Thanks for that, just a small question.
Is there a cut of time when you have to be at the DL office or do you have to be there at 08:30.

Actually, what happened to me: i knew already what documentation to provide was needed: copy passport, copy visa (i am on non O 1 year), copy of the expired DL's and the certificate of immigration. So I decided to spend my first morning at the immigration to get the certificates of residence and would go the next day morning at 8h30 to the DL office.
But as i completed the immigration about 10am, i decided to give a try and went straight to the DL office (both office are very near). The DL office let me do the reaction/color test immediately and give me the appointment for the movie at 1pm. I went for lunch, came back at 1pm. At 2pm movie done, waiting, paying and got the new DL's.