Marriage visa (non-o + 1 year extension)

I just want to be sure, that I'm right.

I will go to Savanakhet. Aplly for 3 months non-o visa. I need marriage certificate + 1 photograph. Nothing more.

After 2 months (1 month before their expire) I will go to local thai immigration to apply for a 1 year extension. I need marriage certificate + bank statement. Nothing more.

Is it right?

You need a wife to obtain a marriage extension and she will have to be with you with her ID and you will need the normal copies of everything that extensions require.  You will need the photos at and around house.  Suggest you read up a bit on marriage extensions if you are not aware (nothing more makes it appear you are not).

Take it one step at a time go get your non o first then you have plenty of time to sit and figure out whats required for Extension based on Marriage. You will only get yourself confused otherwise

Savanakhet  non o

Marriage certificate origional and photo copy ( both sign copy)

Passport and relevent photo copies signed by you (face page)

Wifes Tabien first page and her entry page on one A4 signed by wife.

Wifes ID card front and back on one A4 signed by wife.

Again I took updated Kor ror 2. Not asked for so not given. (but for 20bht a quick trip to any amphoe your mrs can get one on her ID better safe than sorry).

Filled out Visa application form and two photo's (size on application form) 1k i belive for single entry non o.( joe will know).

Visa on arrival form plus one photo plus 1500baht or $35 which varies depending on what country your from.

0900 to 1100 deposit papers and Passport at consulate

1400 to 1600 next day pick up Passport with visa in.

Dont forget to check it before you leave consulate.

Overnight parking on Thai side if required easy to find.bus over bridge 20baht. Then bus or tuk tuk to consulate.

Plenty of hotels on booking.com popular is Avalon close to bus stn and 10 mins or so walk to consulate.

Then you can start getting wired for extension will take a picture of form i got from KK imigration of what docs they require for ext based on marriage and pm ot to you its in Thai get your mrs to Translate if your not a thai reader.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the non-o visa you will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Here is my general list of requirements for the extension. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

"Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for."

Is that a certificate of residence? But that doesn't make a sense. Since this certificate is issued by immigration. They would be issuing certificate for themselfs.

5 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Is that a certificate of residence? But that doesn't make a sense. Since this certificate is issued by immigration. They would be issuing certificate for themselfs.

Simple, if you are not living where your wife is registered in the Tabien Bahn, then you would need to provide a rental contract for where you are living at.

6 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Proof of residence can be a rental agreement in your name or your wife's with signed copies of the owner house book and ID card attached.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-15 at 4:10 PM, ubonjoe said:

Proof of residence can be a rental agreement in your name or your wife's with signed copies of the owner house book and ID card attached.

Sorry for hi-jacking the subject, but I have to renew non.O marriage in Aug but I thought was Sept and have not move 400K to suitable acc in time, question is can I some how extend existing non O for one month?

4 minutes ago, gwynt said:

Sorry for hi-jacking the subject, but I have to renew non.O marriage in Aug but I thought was Sept and have not move 400K to suitable acc in time, question is can I some how extend existing non O for one month?

You apparently have an extension of stay based upon marriage not a non-o visa.

If you have the money in the bank now you may meet the 2 months in the bank requirement to apply for the extension.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently have an extension of stay based upon marriage not a non-o visa.

If you have the money in the bank now you may meet the 2 months in the bank requirement to apply for the extension.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

You are of course correct, but the visa needs to be renewed in Aug, I mistakenly thought Sept, which will continue the extension of stay. There has been in excess of 300K in joint acc for long time which I top up with income from UK. I planed to move this balance to my name only to meet the two month requirement.

If I was to do this now I would be a few days short of the 2 month, therefore I wanted to extend the current visa by one month.

I seem to remember a post which stated that if you leave and return during the last month you would recieve the 30 day extension.

I am living in Thailand with my family so extension to visit wife really no applicable.

45 minutes ago, gwynt said:

I am living in Thailand with my family so extension to visit wife really no applicable.

Visit is just a term used in the clause of the police order. You can apply for it to extend your one year extension of stay. Many people have done it.

There is no 30 days you could get if you left and re-entered the country other than a visa exempt entry that you would not be able to extend until you got a new non-o visa entry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Visit is just a term used in the clause of the police order. You can apply for it to extend your one year extension of stay. Many people have done it.

There is no 30 days you could get if you left and re-entered the country other than a visa exempt entry that you would not be able to extend until you got a new non-o visa entry.

Thanks for the information and clearing up some of the grey areas in the never ending maze of Thai visa regulations. 

On 6/15/2017 at 4:06 PM, PoorSucker said:

12: Copy of the letter from the MFA showing you were able to marry

Is this something you bring a precaution, or a new rule? I needed it to register my marriage in Thailand, but so far I have never seen it as a requirement for extension of stay.

26 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Is this something you bring a precaution, or a new rule? I needed it to register my marriage in Thailand, but so far I have never seen it as a requirement for extension of stay.

It is not normally asked for when applying for an extension of stay. A few years ago a few offices asked for it but I have seen no recent reports of it happening.

It is asked for when applying for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

• 5 months later...

Going for the third annual time waster trip tomorrow. Yes, Christmas Day. Hoping for less crowds although I am sure that the Chinese will make up the difference. Anyhow, I have heard now that they are asking for proof of income from overseas. Has anyone heard of this? I currently work in the Middle East and get paid there so I am not sure what they want. Pay slips maybe? Anyhow, I will update the latest doc requirements tomorrow for the renewals. 

9 minutes ago, apalink_thailand said:

Going for the third annual time waster trip tomorrow. Yes, Christmas Day. Hoping for less crowds although I am sure that the Chinese will make up the difference. Anyhow, I have heard now that they are asking for proof of income from overseas. Has anyone heard of this? I currently work in the Middle East and get paid there so I am not sure what they want. Pay slips maybe? Anyhow, I will update the latest doc requirements tomorrow for the renewals. 

The do not ask for proof the money in the bank came from abroad for an extension of stay application. That is only needed when applying for a non immigrant visa entry.

If using the income option it has to be income from abroad unless working here legally.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The do not ask for proof the money in the bank came from abroad for an extension of stay application. That is only needed when applying for a non immigrant visa entry.

If using the income option it has to be income from abroad unless working here legally.

Thanks, I figured as much. Anyhow, to be safe I asked for my pay slips to be emailed to me.

9 minutes ago, apalink_thailand said:

Thanks, I figured as much. Anyhow, to be safe I asked for my pay slips to be emailed to me.

They would not accept pay slips to prove the money in the bank came from abroad. They want a letter from the bank stating the money came from abroad when applying for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

3 hours ago, apalink_thailand said:

I have heard now that they are asking for proof of income from overseas.

You did not say if you are using the "money in the bank" or "proof of income" method to qualify.  UJ addressed the "proof money in the bank is from overseas" question - not necessary for an extension.

But there is a separate issue if using the "income option" - they sometimes want additional evidence that the letter from your Embassy stating your overeas-income (stat-doc) is true.  I am not sure if pay-stubs would help on this point, but a bank-book showing deposits would likely suffice.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Kor Ror 2  house book updated? How do you have the house book updated at the district office?

The Kor Ror 2 is a document stating your marriage status, nothing to do with the house book. 

You pay 20 baht for getting a fresh official statement of your marriage status. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, cwong said:

quick question, after got the non-o visa, to get the extension 1 year. do we have to provide the same papers again.

especially the 400k in the bank?

You need all the supporting documents and financial proof for every extension of stay application.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cwong said:

quick question, after got the non-o visa, to get the extension 1 year. do we have to provide the same papers again.

especially the 400k in the bank?

Your money in bank must also meet the time in account prior to application each time.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:45 AM, lopburi3 said:

Your money in bank must also meet the time in account prior to application each time.

At Samut Prakarn Immigration, they require us to make a small transaction on the account at the ATM in the morning of the application and then have that reflected on the bank book statement.

ubonjoe has said that your Kor Ror 2 is acceptable for 6 months but be prepared that it could be rejected as mine was 6 weeks old and I was required to go and get a new one. Admittedly there was a new head of investigations at Khon Kaen who came from Bangkok so maybe he was just showing who is boss.