Suspected hospital bomber arrested in Bangkok

webfact

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And millions who voted were disappointed, but perhaps not all surprised, that those voted in looked after themselves; very generously too.

Perplexing that the millions keep voting them in every elections they took part. While the minority have to seize power. 

44 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And millions who voted were disappointed, but perhaps not all surprised, that those voted in looked after themselves; very generously too.

Will be interesting to test your theory if there's ever another election. But of course if there isn't, you'd be ok with that I'm sure.

43 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Sooooo...let me get that straight:

- they found nails and tubes and explosives

- they found a timer (=alarm clock) with Thaksins face on it!

- they took a picture of the nails and the tubes

- they did not take a picture of the clock (at least, I haven't seen one!)

....ooooooo- kay.....

So ...just for the sake of the argument...say, that I believe the Thaksin- clock - thing....isn't that a bit "on the nose"?

...meaning: I don't believe a word of that story!

The junta aren't renowned for their subtlety, but a clock with Thaksin's face on it is about as subtle as a kick in the rocks.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you think the current Junta are looking after themselves and their mates "very generously too"?

What do you think of the NLA passing a law saying that its members (such as Prayuth's little brother) don't need to bother showing up and can still collect their state funded salary?

Would your views on this be similar if it were Yingluck offering the same deal to MP's when she was PM?

So happy to spend your time bleating about the past, so happy to ignore the present.

Edited by Smarter Than You

30 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

Do you think the current Junta are looking after themselves and their mates "very generously too"?

What do you think of the NLA passing a law saying that its members (such as Prayuth's little brother) don't need to bother showing up and can still collect their state funded salary?

Would your views on this be similar if it were Yingluck offering the same deal to MP's when she was PM?

So happy to spend your time bleating about the past, so happy to ignore the present.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it' George Santayana.

And those who continue bleating about the present are condemned to ignore the past - Khunken.

I don't agree with many of the dubious actions of the NLA but they are much the same as the dubious actions of the last government and their predecessors. For example YL was supposed to be in charge of the rice scam but never bothered to attend meetings.

What I definitely dislike profoundly is an individual or group bombing a hospital, the last place a sane person would want to attack. We haven't yet got all the details but from reports in both local English papers it looks like red militia related and too many on this forum are just attempting to divert, cloud, obfuscate and just plain deny the obvious. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it on the forum.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Man arrested over Bangkok hospital blast
By THE NATION

5b504428a81e658e1df5ac2300cf48e9.jpeg

Former EGAT engineer allegedly in possession of bomb components

BANGKOK: -- A 62-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of planting an explosive device at the Phramongkutklao Hospital on May 22 that left 25 people injured.

Authorities yesterday identified the suspect only as “Wattana”, a former electrical engineer at the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat).

The suspect was taken into military custody and interrogated at the 11th Military Circle command in Bangkok yesterday. He denied any involvement with the explosion at the military-run hospital, according to a source.

A search of the suspect’s home in the Ram-Indra area of Bang Khen district allegedly yielded four improvised explosive devices in PVC pipes “ready to be used”, according to another source in the investigative team.

8066d7923fec331cedf6bf9ff13ae532.jpeg

The source said many integrated-circuit timers similar to ones used in the explosive devices that were set off in two previous incidents – outside the old Government Lottery Office building on Rajdamnoen Avenue on April 5, and in front of the National Theatre on May 15 – were found.

A wall clock with the image of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was also allegedly found in the suspect’s house.

The search at the Bang Khen house involved more than 50 police and military officers, the Thai News Agency reported yesterday.

Searches also were conducted at 10 other locations in Bangkok and in surrounding provinces but no suspicious materials had been found, the police source said.

According to a source familiar with the investigation, Wattana was believed to be the man who took a fabric bag containing the explosive device concealed in a vase into the hospital’s waiting room where the bomb exploded. He was in the room for about 10 minutes before leaving without the bag.

Security camera recordings at the hospital showed the person of interest as a thin, long-haired man about 160 to 165 centimetres tall.

The explosion at the hospital was the third to occur in Bangkok within two months. The homemade bomb planted at Phramongkutklao Hospital exploded and injured 25 people on the third anniversary of the 2014 military coup that brought down the elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin’s younger sister. 

After locating the suspect, investigators interviewed a woman close to him in Nonthaburi, who reportedly said that he did not like the military while having a strong political preference, according to the source in the investigative team.

The suspect was arrested on Wednesday evening while taking a bus home, the source said, adding that police were attempting to find out whether he had acted on his own or had been instructed by someone to plant the bomb.

He was charged with possessing explosive devices and materials used in the production of explosives. If there is sufficient evidence, police will also charge him with terrorism.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan yesterday confirmed that authorities had arrested a suspect in connection with the Phramongkutklao Hospital explosion. However, he added that no connection had been established between the suspect and any group of dissidents in the military.

“The investigators are trying to find out if other people colluded with him in carrying out the attack,” said Prawit, who is in charge of security affairs.

He claimed that the suspect had confessed to planting the bomb, although that was contradicted by what a police source said.

Meanwhile, deputy national police chief Pol General Srivara Ransitbharamanakul said yesterday that the investigation into the explosion at the hospital “is progressing satisfactorily”. 

He declined to confirm or disclose any details regarding the reported arrest of the suspect, saying that national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda would be the only one to talk publicly about the matter.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318199

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-16

I wonder if the 62 year old suspect was also a Turkish national, like the "red shirt" bomber of the Erawan Shrine? Inquiring minds need to know...

16 hours ago, SABloke said:

"...we are speeding up the interrogation.."

Let's hope the suspect survives :mellow:

If he is guilty, let us hope he gets what he deserves.

And if he is guilty, lets hope that you continue to support him.

Every terrorist needs a support base and you seem a likely candidate

12 hours ago, khunken said:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it' George Santayana.

And those who continue bleating about the present are condemned to ignore the past - Khunken.

I don't agree with many of the dubious actions of the NLA but they are much the same as the dubious actions of the last government and their predecessors. For example YL was supposed to be in charge of the rice scam but never bothered to attend meetings.

What I definitely dislike profoundly is an individual or group bombing a hospital, the last place a sane person would want to attack. We haven't yet got all the details but from reports in both local English papers it looks like red militia related and too many on this forum are just attempting to divert, cloud, obfuscate and just plain deny the obvious. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it on the forum.

"I don't agree with many of the dubious actions of the NLA but they are much the same as the dubious actions of the last government and their predecessors". 

As mentioned many times by other posters the difference is that the last government could be voted out and indeed offered the electorate the possibility to vote them out with early elections. The current government and its puppet NLA cannot be voted out and will never take the risk to be unelected. Moreover, they will go on controlling Thai politics by appointing themselves to a powerfull senate and various so-called independent organisations such as the EC, Ombudsman, NACC, Strategic Commitee, high courts, etc...without any possibility to vote them out or any other check and balance.

Edited by candide

11 hours ago, candide said:

"I don't agree with many of the dubious actions of the NLA but they are much the same as the dubious actions of the last government and their predecessors". 

As mentioned many times by other posters the difference is that the last government could be voted out and indeed offered the electorate the possibility to vote them out with early elections. The current government and its puppet NLA cannot be voted out and will never take the risk to be unelected. Moreover, they will go on controlling Thai politics by appointing themselves to a powerfull senate and various so-called independent organisations such as the EC, Ombudsman, NACC, Strategic Commitee, high courts, etc...without any possibility to vote them out or any other check and balance.

Not mentioned so much by the 'election is democracy' proponents is that given the control that big T had over the district & local authorities (in addition to all the MPs he bought from Chavalit) in the north & northeast & their vote-controlling funds (& intimidation), the possiblity of them being voted out was close to nil.

It took a massive demonstration (with loss of life) to prevent the crook from being absolved from facing the courts for all his crimes involving large amounts of money - not democracy. It also took a large demonstration with violence to attempt to 'vote-out' Abhisit's government and effectively shorten it's life.

I don't agree with many of the laws the NLA has enacted & I share the view that they have made it even more difficult for real democracy to be given a chance in Thailand. I also have a very critical view of what's called democracy, both in Thailand and in a few western countries - but that's another topic.

It's a pity that you made no effort to address the Op & the topic, which is the arrest of an individual for placing an explosive device in a hospital, or is that something you support?

6 minutes ago, khunken said:

Not mentioned so much by the 'election is democracy' proponents is that given the control that big T had over the district & local authorities (in addition to all the MPs he bought from Chavalit) in the north & northeast & their vote-controlling funds (& intimidation), the possiblity of them being voted out was close to nil.

It took a massive demonstration (with loss of life) to prevent the crook from being absolved from facing the courts for all his crimes involving large amounts of money - not democracy. It also took a large demonstration with violence to attempt to 'vote-out' Abhisit's government and effectively shorten it's life.

I don't agree with many of the laws the NLA has enacted & I share the view that they have made it even more difficult for real democracy to be given a chance in Thailand. I also have a very critical view of what's called democracy, both in Thailand and in a few western countries - but that's another topic.

It's a pity that you made no effort to address the Op & the topic, which is the arrest of an individual for placing an explosive device in a hospital, or is that something you support?

The previous government was far from perfect and it was not the best working democracy, if it is what you want me to say. However, it still was a democracy. Following demonstrations and the resignation of most opposition MPs, which raised doubts about the legitimacy of the government, YL dissolved parliament and organised elections This was a democratic behaviour (confronted with the same problem, Abhisit sent the troop instead of dissolving parliament). The later demonstrations were not aiming any more at preventing the crook from being absolved, but at bringing to power an unelected government.

Of course, I don't support bombings. And if it is true that he is the culprit (as mentioned before the police, the judiciary and the Junta don't have a track record allowing to trust them blindly), he must be convicted.

Having said that, it is unfortunately not unusual that, when fair and democratic ways of expression are barred or forbidden, some people resort to violence. 

2 minutes ago, candide said:

The previous government was far from perfect and it was not the best working democracy, if it is what you want me to say. However, it still was a democracy. Following demonstrations and the resignation of most opposition MPs, which raised doubts about the legitimacy of the government, YL dissolved parliament and organised elections This was a democratic behaviour (confronted with the same problem, Abhisit sent the troop instead of dissolving parliament). The later demonstrations were not aiming any more at preventing the crook from being absolved, but at bringing to power an unelected government.

Of course, I don't support bombings. And if it is true that he is the culprit (as mentioned before the police, the judiciary and the Junta don't have a track record allowing to trust them blindly), he must be convicted.

Having said that, it is unfortunately not unusual that, when fair and democratic ways of expression are barred or forbidden, some people resort to violence. 

The later demonstrations were not aiming any more at preventing the crook from being absolved, but at bringing to power an unelected government. Not quite. The initial demonstrations were to prevent the Senate voting into law the Amnesty for Thaksin bill. They had no democratic way of preventing it and waiting for an election would have been far too late - so much for 'democracy'. Unfortunately when they got their wish they then carried on when it would have been better to chalk up a win and leave it there. The reason for carrying on was that PTP's dishonesty could have brought the bill again to parliament after 3 months. Yes, it did develop into a total anti-democracy protest (but, as usual, no comment from you about the killing of protesters).

What a pity that your blind hatred of the military seems to prevent you (amidst using the 'democracy is an election' or vice-versa) from seeing anything wrong with what went before and the number of ordinary Thais who perished in the name of that 'democracy' in Tak Bai, Krue Se and the large number in the 'war on drugs'. No, I don't forget that previous Thai militaries killed too. I condemn them both.

Your last sentence could  just as easily justify the 2013-4 protests but no doubt you'll find an excuse to deny or twist it.

We're obviously not going to agree here - so this is my last post on this thread.

A fit up? Whatever can you mean? The fellow had a clock with Thaksins face on the dial. Even more damning than leaving a red baseball cap at the scene!

Whats more, whatever would a retired electrician be doing with bits and pieces of scrap electrical equipment, and as for scraps of blue PVC water pipe, who on earth would
have a stache of that.
Oh yes, the evidence is irrefutable. Like the Mounties, the BiB alwats get their man...

All reasonable... but you forgot the pipe bombs that were found too. The rest of the stuff is normal. He was also caught on cam with the vase that exploded. If all this is true there is little doubt this guy did it. Not false flag like many here claimed it to be. Just an other radical red supporter who has no respect for life. Its hard to sink lower then bombing a hospital.

1 hour ago, khunken said:

The later demonstrations were not aiming any more at preventing the crook from being absolved, but at bringing to power an unelected government. Not quite. The initial demonstrations were to prevent the Senate voting into law the Amnesty for Thaksin bill. They had no democratic way of preventing it and waiting for an election would have been far too late - so much for 'democracy'. Unfortunately when they got their wish they then carried on when it would have been better to chalk up a win and leave it there. The reason for carrying on was that PTP's dishonesty could have brought the bill again to parliament after 3 months. Yes, it did develop into a total anti-democracy protest (but, as usual, no comment from you about the killing of protesters).

What a pity that your blind hatred of the military seems to prevent you (amidst using the 'democracy is an election' or vice-versa) from seeing anything wrong with what went before and the number of ordinary Thais who perished in the name of that 'democracy' in Tak Bai, Krue Se and the large number in the 'war on drugs'. No, I don't forget that previous Thai militaries killed too. I condemn them both.

Your last sentence could  just as easily justify the 2013-4 protests but no doubt you'll find an excuse to deny or twist it.

We're obviously not going to agree here - so this is my last post on this thread.

That's why I used "later demonstrations". The first demonstrations were quite legitimate: people have the right to demonstrate against a law or a government. It caused a democratic reaction which was the dissolution of parliament and new elections, without the people having to wait any longer.

As for my last sentence, I don't remember the fair and democratic ways of expressions having been barred to the opposition in 2013/14. Actually, the opposition even barred them to the Thai people by blocking elections.