40 day overstay,

Can not really figure out what you have in your passport or not have, What kind of VISA are you here on?????  OR are you here on an extension of stay?????

May I ask you, What was cancelled according to you???? I think you have to give a few more details in order to get help here. But in general, when you leave Thailand the clock resets and the 90 days report is out the window. And as soon as you return to Thailand again, then it starts again counting days.....

Did you forget maybe to buy a re entry permit and you are out of a VISA?  many questions - Plse we need you answers in order to be able to help out.......

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

33 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Sounds like you have only missed 90 day report so not on overstay. Fine for not doing 90 day 2k. Just pop to immigration no problem

You DO NOT "miss" a 90 day report when you are outside Thailand.....

Awqaiting OP answers...

Glegolo

just curious, 2,000 baht penalty for each 90 day missed report.  How much if you miss two 90 day reports or 3 90 day reports?  I am sure they would not be happy and you be asked more questions and get more scrutiny than you might want, but just curious.  Anybody missed more than one 90 day report, and if so, what happened?

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

just curious, 2,000 baht penalty for each 90 day missed report.  How much if you miss two 90 day reports or 3 90 day reports? 

The 2000 baht is the standard fine but they could fine a person up to the maximum fine of 5000 baht .

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

You DO NOT "miss" a 90 day report when you are outside Thailand.....

Awqaiting OP answers...

Glegolo

As he clearly implies he was in thailand you can you need to read his post.

He clearly states 90 day report

He clearly states he was meant to go on a buisness trip which would have nullified his need to do 90 day report.

He clearly states said buisness trip was cancelled.

Hence he has forgot to do 90 day report he is 40 days over due so he is not on overstay but will be fined.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

maximum overstay fine is 20000 baht  ( even for 8-9 months overstay ) 

just ensure you never get stopped by cops before you hit the airport and have your passport checked or your in deep trouble.

according to my sources (one of whom is one of my lawyers),

the maximum overstay fine limit has been eradicated; the fine can go far beyond 20k baht

please somebody correct me if i'm mistaken

Just now, BritTim said:

I am not aware of any change in the law. The maximum fine is enshrined in the Immigration Act of 1979:

Surely, any amendment to a law as important as the Immigration Law would have been widely publicized.

thank you

2 hours ago, pumpjack said:

maximum overstay fine is 20000 baht  ( even for 8-9 months overstay ) 

just ensure you never get stopped by cops before you hit the airport and have your passport checked or your in deep trouble.

It would seem that the O/P missed his 90 day report, in which case he is not on overstay.

I guess the mystery won't be laid to rest with any certainty until he returns to enlighten us.

5 minutes ago, csabo said:

As usual, OP has no idea what's in his passport or correct terminology to even get advise on how to correct the situation.

Dear me its obvious what he wrote in his post

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, csabo said:

As usual, OP has no idea what's in his passport or correct terminology to even get advise on how to correct the situation.

Sounds prettty clear to me, he expected to be on a business trip when his 90 days came up but wasn't. He neglected to to do the 90 day report and is now 40 days passed due.

2000baht and a slap on the wrist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Sounds prettty clear to me, he expected to be on a business trip when his 90 days came up but wasn't. He neglected to to do the 90 day report and is now 40 days passed due.

Thank goodness someone else can read tbe post correctly though i was in a parallel universe reading the coments on here

• Like 1

After re-reading the post, he indeed is talking about a missed 90 day report.  2000 baht fine and back to normal. 

Edited by TunnelRat69
voluntary deletion

7 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

I think that is a reasonable interpretation, but I would not rule out the possibility that he is on a multiple entry Non O visa, and failed to do a border hop when his 90 days were up. It would not be the first time a border hop has been described as a 90-day report or an extension.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think that is a reasonable interpretation, but I would not rule out the possibility that he is on a multiple entry Non O visa, and failed to do a border hop when his 90 days were up. It would not be the first time a border hop has been described as a 90-day report or an extension.

One can only go on what one reads in a post otherwise every topic on here could be read to read whatever you want it to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

One can only go on what one reads in a post otherwise every topic on here could be read to read whatever you want it to be.

Yeah, if the OP doesn't know the difference and asks about the wrong thing, it's on him. Not your waitresses fault if she brings you what you ordered instead of what you meant to order.

Edited by Rob13

22 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Did you read the subject line of this thread? I accept that your assumption that the thread's title is more likely to be wrong than his post about 90-day report may well be correct. That said, he also talks of checking his passport which is more likely (other things being equal) to be his permission to stay, actually stamped in his passport, than an address notification slip which is separate. Claiming that "40 day overstay" unambiguously means an overdue address notification I think is a dangerous assumption.

Edited by BritTim

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Did you read the subject line of this thread? I accept that your assumption that the thread's title is more likely to be wrong than his post about 90-day report may well be correct. That said, he also talks of checking his passport which is more likely (other things being equal) to be his permission to stay, actually stamped in his passport, than an address notification slip which is separate. Claiming that "40 day overstay" unambiguously means an overdue address notification I think is a dangerous assumption.

He is more likley to have tittle thread wrong. The subject text is clear. I make no assumptions justreading the facts of his op

5 hours ago, wpsvo said:

Hi I did not report 12 months to the Immigration. I just paid Baht 2,000 fine (in April 2017). And "Please don't forget to report in 90 days"...very, very friendly in Soi 5...

so you missed 3 or so 90 day reports, and you were only fined 2,000 baht?  Not saying it is the affordable way to do things, but it does seem like one way to have to report just once a year!  Just skip doing most of the 90 day reports!

I'm the op, aha, so that was an education for me.  Last time I was late for 90 day reporting they charged me quire a bit of money, stapled some paper in my passport saying I had overstayed. 

So I googled overstay and found 1 years ban and possible imprisonment, and present yourself to immigration immediatly.  So there I was ready to hand over 20k baht and thinking I could get arrested.

I had not realised that when Thai visa and other sources talk about overstay it is to do with visa, not 90 days reporting.

what a relief, the friendly immigration staff did indeed only charge 2 k baht and explained how easy it was to count 90 days.  Staff also explained thai government is more serious about this now.

I have used a smaller immigration office before and I am sure they charged me much more than 2k bht for a 5 day overstay, I won't defame that office here.  But I was told 5 k is maximum.

So the overstay which can result in imprisonment is to do with visas.  I will have to make sure that does not happen.   Having to do every year I bet that can happen easily as well.

Thanks for replies all.

17 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

so you missed 3 or so 90 day reports, and you were only fined 2,000 baht?  Not saying it is the affordable way to do things, but it does seem like one way to have to report just once a year!  Just skip doing most of the 90 day reports!

I think you are correct, if I am not flying out the country, it may well be more economical to pay a fine next time visa is renewed than waste time in immigration office doing 90 day reporting.  It wastes half a morning to do so including commute time. So if I was doing that 4 x a year, 5k for the 1 visit combined with visa is better economics.than 4 x reports with loss of earning = 12 -to 20 hours.

10 minutes ago, manchega said:

I think you are correct, if I am not flying out the country, it may well be more economical to pay a fine next time visa is renewed than waste time in immigration office doing 90 day reporting.  It wastes half a morning to do so including commute time. So if I was doing that 4 x a year, 5k for the 1 visit combined with visa is better economics.than 4 x reports with loss of earning = 12 -to 20 hours.

I find your reasoning to be repulsive and ugly, and that shit will cast it´s shadow on the rest of us. I on my part wish that they will catch you in the act, and that you wil lose your VISA/extension of stay...

Good luck is nothing I say to you..

Glegolo

• Like 1