DPM Wissanu confident police reform to be completed by deadline

webfact

DPM Wissanu confident police reform to be completed by deadline

BANGKOK, 16th June 2017 (NNT) - A deputy prime minister in charge of legal affairs is confident that reform of the police will be completed before the deadline set by the Constitution. 

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Thursday that the police reform process, also intended to curb corruption related to the promotion and the transfer of police officers, is to be concluded by April 6, 2018, or 10 months from now. 

Mr. Wissanu said that currently, the selection of members of a new committee to take charge of the reform is under way. 

According to the Deputy Prime Minister, the reform of the police will take place in five areas: the power of investigation, the chain of command, the administrative system that involves transfers, appointments and punishments, welfare and benefits, ethics and morality and the values of the police force. 

Mr. Wissanu said that those who join the new committee must have experience in police affairs and an understanding of all five areas.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-16

All these "specifics" are so stupid: reform in areas of...promotion corruption, failure to do duty corruption etc etc.

Here's a simple solution: Cops who are found to break ANY law receive a mandatory minimum sentence of double the usual maximum sentence. No bail. If video evidence exists of the crime (bribe taking etc): immediate suspension of pay and sent to jail while waiting for court procedures to finish. Simple. >_>

I just reformed the police force and did it before the date stipulated in the constitution (Which is 31 September 2017 for those who were wondering.) I wonder if Wissanu will give me a cookie for my efforts :unsure:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

".....the chain of command, the administrative system that involves transfers, appointments and punishments, welfare and benefits, ethics and morality and the values of the police force."

Does this mean they have made changes to the price list for joining the force and appointments and promotions?

There are more important issues in Thailand right now. Young girls twerking on stage and Thais who are eating more bread and less rice comes to mind.

The PM himself only seems to comment on the serious matters. Not trivial ones like this. 

2 hours ago, nausea said:

You'll never reform the police until you pay them a decent wage; corruption and low pay go hand in hand.

Largely agree, but the ones who do have a decent wage seem to be even more corrupt - all the way to the top.

8 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Maybe they need experienced people outside of Thailand to sit on the proposed committees?

What like an ex Police Officer with a PhD in Law who happens to be outside of Thailand? 

He'd certainly be an expert on corruption :whistling:

2 hours ago, nausea said:

You'll never reform the police until you pay them a decent wage; corruption and low pay go hand in hand.

Whilst true, it doesn't mean that if you pay someone who is corrupt more they will cease to be so.

Whilst true, it doesn't mean that if you pay someone who is corrupt more they will cease to be so.

But it does mean you can have more success hiring people who are not corrupt.

Increasing wages is not the solution but it is an important step in the process.

11 hours ago, SABloke said:

All these "specifics" are so stupid: reform in areas of...promotion corruption, failure to do duty corruption etc etc.

Here's a simple solution: Cops who are found to break ANY law receive a mandatory minimum sentence of double the usual maximum sentence. No bail. If video evidence exists of the crime (bribe taking etc): immediate suspension of pay and sent to jail while waiting for court procedures to finish. Simple. >_>

I just reformed the police force and did it before the date stipulated in the constitution (Which is 31 September 2017 for those who were wondering.) I wonder if Wissanu will give me a cookie for my efforts :unsure:

Pigs might fly. (No pun intended)

21 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What like an ex Police Officer with a PhD in Law who happens to be outside of Thailand? 

He'd certainly be an expert on corruption :whistling:

Blah, Blah, Blah. U really are a troll. U never offer an opinion as people may really see u.