Donating my body

ableguy

On 6/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

That's just plain stupid. The Hospital in Korat only wanting organs. I bet there's not many of them that  can play the damn things.

Really a witty reply .

On 6/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

That's just plain stupid. The Hospital in Korat only wanting organs. I bet there's not many of them that  can play the damn things.

I find on a reasonably serious thread some of the replies objectionable

And then it gets many likes, even more difficult

But then generally I would not associate with many of these people

As a retired professional man getting older, with some serious medical problems, I am still shocked at the opinions of many expats 

We choose to live here, and enjoy what Thailand has to offer, many good things;  but that so many vent anger and venom I find hard to tolerate

Maybe I have to look at me and try to become more tolerant

We all have rights of opinion, well thats the case from where originally I come from

God Bless, as I go to bed with my loving sleeping little wife, so caring , so kind so loving, yes thank you God

On 6/16/2017 at 10:14 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

In NZ it's not easy to donate a body. They only want one if they can get it straight after death. I was hoping to avoid my estate paying to burn me, but it seems I have no choice.

21 hours ago, madusa said:

Life is difficult but it seems to me being dead is also difficult from what I read here.

Please read my post, No. 28.  One drawback of donation is that your family doesn't receive any remains when the students are done, just the memory of the nice memorial service at the wat and then only two people could come.  

It's been my experience, in helping to arrange other cremations, that the process can be incredibly easy and cheap here, compared the the west.  In Chiang Mai, many end up at Suan Dok (CMU hospital), esp. if they die at home and there's a need for a medical examination as to the cause of death.  They have the facility at Suan Dok to preform cremation on site.  All the Next-of-Kin has to do is request that Suan Dok take care of everything and they come back a few days later to receive a cardboard box with the remains.  The cost is very low, well under 10,000 baht.

What makes funerals so complicated here are the wishes of Thai families to honor their dead and show their standing (and probably avoid negative gossip) so they stage lengthy and expensive funerals.  There is no legal reason why funerals have to be done in this way.  If you want to avoid this, then put it in writing and make your wishes known to as many people in your Thai family as you can get to listen to you.  Many Thai people don't want to talk about this subject.  But, you have to put it in writing, so your wife can have something to show everyone that this really was your wish and she is honoring you by fulfilling your wish.

Many times I've sat around with a few foreigners at a Thai funeral for a foreigner and we've lamented how the poor guy never would have wanted to have this much money spent on his final send-off.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:11 AM, swanny321 said:

swanny321

What a beautiful photograph, I spent twelve yrs plus on my own boat in retirement traveling the seas

Could be buried at sea ( not just the ashes scattered) and body donated to the fishes, but that really would  be a challenge in Thailand

I started off topic but got back on ! !!   !!!

On the other hand Morgandave suggested the local horticultural college, not for me

However six ft down in our own garden beside the dogs also OK in fact very OK, but maybe in Thailand a problem, can be done with various permissions in England

I buried a couple of puppies 3 ft down and planted on top a bourganvillia five yrs on so magnificent, like the puppies

Hopefully another ten yrs plus, keep smiling

Remember humor and happiness heals

It:

Reduces pain. Our bodies produce pain-killing hormones called endorphins in response to laughter.

Strengthens immune function. A good belly laugh increases production of T-cells, interferon and immune proteins called globulins.

Decreases stress. When under stress, we produce a hormone called cortisol. Laughter significantly lowers cortisol levels and returns the body to a more relaxed state.

59 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Please read my post, No. 28.  One drawback of donation is that your family doesn't receive any remains when the students are done, just the memory of the nice memorial service at the wat and then only two people could come.  

It's been my experience, in helping to arrange other cremations, that the process can be incredibly easy and cheap here, compared the the west.  In Chiang Mai, many end up at Suan Dok (CMU hospital), esp. if they die at home and there's a need for a medical examination as to the cause of death.  They have the facility at Suan Dok to preform cremation on site.  All the Next-of-Kin has to do is request that Suan Dok take care of everything and they come back a few days later to receive a cardboard box with the remains.  The cost is very low, well under 10,000 baht.

What makes funerals so complicated here are the wishes of Thai families to honor their dead and show their standing (and probably avoid negative gossip) so they stage lengthy and expensive funerals.  There is no legal reason why funerals have to be done in this way.  If you want to avoid this, then put it in writing and make your wishes known to as many people in your Thai family as you can get to listen to you.  Many Thai people don't want to talk about this subject.  But, you have to put it in writing, so your wife can have something to show everyone that this really was your wish and she is honoring you by fulfilling your wish.

Many times I've sat around with a few foreigners at a Thai funeral for a foreigner and we've lamented how the poor guy never would have wanted to have this much money spent on his final send-off.

Nancy, this is good information about Suan Doc, I wasn't aware of that 'option', fits my wishes exactly, I'll get it added to my will.

My Thai son is all for lack of extended ceremony and I know there will be pressure on him from some in the extended family to make a big expensive display and also to include hand out of money to the very greedy unethical extended family.

In fact some of these folks have tried many times to pressure me and my Thai son for handouts, in fact on a couple of occasions they have been pretty nasty to my son but he's strong enough to simply ignore them. And some of them even claim they are entitled by Thai law to a handout on my death (this is the 'make up the law as it suits you' gang).

At the moment my will is vague on this subject so the Suan Doc route route and a stronger statement of no handouts will be added to my will next week.

Bottom line, I want an acceptable but low cost cremation because I want as much money and value as possible to remain available for my son and his wonderful Thai wife and for my granddaughters education and security

Thanks again Nancy.

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In fact some of these folks have tried many times to pressure me and my Thai son for handouts, in fact on a couple of occasions they have been pretty nasty to my son but he's strong enough to simply ignore them. And some of them even claim they are entitled by Thai law to a handout on my death (this is the 'make up the law as it suits you' gang).

At the moment my will is vague on this subject so the Suan Doc route route and a stronger statement of no handouts will be added to my will next week.

Many similarities, fortunately my wife is on my side

She is under instruction, and agrees when I go, she just says most of the money was spent on hospital bills and she has very little left, hopefully not the case

In the event I am not successful on donation she knows max 3 monks and costs to a minimum, I am pretty sure she will follow that, she has two teenage children and their education costs to think about

Does anyone know if KhonKaen has similar hospital cremation option  

On 6/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, NancyL said:

I was the executor for the estate of an American friend who was in her mid 80s when she died in Chiang Mai.  She wanted her body donated to medical science and I found the process to be fairly easy.  There was some question about her age, but she had been very active, walking at least a mile each day, to and from her condo to the local mall for shopping and socializing prior to being struck down by a stroke.  Her doctor vouched for her overall condition and her donation was accepted.

The "paperwork" involved in the donation wasn't any different for her as a foreigner than it would have been for a Thai person.  She had requested this in her Final Will and as the executor of the Will, I was able to sign the necessary documents upon presenting her Thai death certificate.  I simply had to present  the Final Will and hers and my passport, along with the death certificate and they made copies of all these, to submit with the application.

About a year after the donation, I received a letter from CMU, in Thai, asking if I cared to submit a photograph of the lady to be used for display at a memorial service.  A few weeks later, they had a service at a wat where photos of all the donors were displayed, monks chanted prayers and medical students (presumably the ones who had studied the donors) attended and gave honor, along with their professors.  Each donor was limited to having two guests attend. No remains were returned.  It was a nice ceremony and good way to honor the donors.  

Sounds  good  but i REALLY dont want the monks and chanting. A  thank you letter to the Wife would be good  enough let science provide the evidence for what can be achieved by dissection of the dead, burning bodies is  a  stupid  waste of resources, burial far  better

Sounds  good  but i REALLY dont want the monks and chanting. A  thank you letter to the Wife would be good  enough let science provide the evidence for what can be achieved by dissection of the dead, burning bodies is  a  stupid  waste of resources, burial far  better

The ceremony is for the living, not the dead.