Cult Of Pancakes: Ihop Opens At Siam Paragon

snoop1130

Cult Of Pancakes: Ihop Opens At Siam Paragon

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

15284804_1319761448074226_728909202160040064_n-696x522.jpg

Pancakes topped with berries, peaches and whipped cream. Photo: IHOP Thailand / Facebook

BANGKOK — An American pancake chain opened its first branch in Thailand on Friday at Siam Paragon mall.

After announcing in December it would open a branch in Bangkok, American breakfast food chain IHOP, or International House of Pancakes, opened it store today at Siam Paragon.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/06/16/cult-pancakes-ihop-opens-siam-paragon/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-6-16

If it's like any of the other chains that opened here, the pancakes will be half the size and not enough syrup to fill a thimble.  Someone tell is the prices.  Bet they are off chart too.

22 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Um, may I ask why? Is that with all American fast food chains too? :smile:

It's not rocket science.

Many choices for better pancakes at actual restaurants rather than corporate chains.

Have been to IHOP a few times. Not bad if you don't have a better choice. 

I've never eaten pancakes often in my adult life though as a kid my Dad cooked them often. 

So on the rare occasions that I'd want pancakes, and there was a better choice than a chain, I'd go for better.

For example, Chicago:

http://www.thechicagotraveler.com/2015/08/15-of-the-best-pancakes-in-chicago-cake-for-breakfast/

Edited by Jingthing

There's already a running thread on this topic that frankly is a lot more informative than anything in the Khaosod article or here thus far.

Read my last post in that thread linked as follows:

There's a very interesting story as to who's behind the IHOP franchise in BKK, and also, what will and won't be served in the current location, and their plans for a 2nd location in the not too distant future.

The timing reference in the Khaosod article is kind of strange, because when I visited the location earlier this week, they had posters up that had their original Friday, June 16 date planned for what they called their soft opening covered up, and one of the business people behind the restaurant told me that day they weren't going to have their soft opening until the next day/tomorrow, Sat. June 17.... But either way, they should be open by the time most folks read this.  I'm certainly planning to make a visit.

It's interesting that the Khaosod article refers to the new IHOP here saying "An American pancake chain opened..."

Needless to say, the BKK IHOP is an entirely Thai owned and operated business, and they've simply obtained the franchise rights from the American company that holds those rights, a venture called DineEquity, which also holds the rights to the Applebee's restaurant chain.

With more than 3,700 Applebee's and IHOP restaurants in 18 countries and a 99%-franchised system of more than 400 franchisee partners, DineEquity is one of the largest full-service restaurant companies in the world.

http://www.dineequity.com/

These days, they (DineEquity) are mostly a franchisee-based operation as opposed to company-operated restaurants.

IHOP

When Al and Jerry Lapin opened the first International House of Pancakes in Toluca Lake, California on July 7, 1958, they never dreamed that five decades later the family restaurant they founded would become the American icon it is today. From humble beginnings, we have grown to become the leading Family Dining brand with 1,709 IHOP restaurants in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and Saipan. Internationally, IHOP has locations in Bahrain, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Guatemala, Kuwait, Mexico, The Philippines, Qatar, Panama and Saudi Arabia.

Looks like their webmaster needs to add one more country to their list...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's not rocket science.

Many choices for better pancakes at actual restaurants rather than corporate chains.

Have been to IHOP a few times. Not bad if you don't have a better choice. 

I've never eaten pancakes often in my adult life though as a kid my Dad cooked them often. 

So on the rare occasions that I'd want pancakes, and there was a better choice than a chain, I'd go for better.

Some people might think because of the name of the restaurant chain, International House of Pancakes, that they ONLY or mostly serve pancakes on their menu in the U.S. But they'd be wrong about that. While they certainly have a broad menu selection of different pancakes, they also at least in the U.S. have a much broader breakfast menu of omelettes, french toast, eggs-meat-bacon-hash brown dishes, and then regular non-breakfasty lunch and dinner entree sections.

When I'm eating at IHOPs in the U.S., I'll usually opt for some variety of a bacon, eggs, hash browns type breakfast, and then pick whatever special they're offering that has a pancakes choice as part of that same menu item. I'm often back around the holidays season, and IHOP in the U.S pretty regularly has holiday season special pancakes with flavors like pumpkin and gingerbread, among others, that are really quite good and not easy to find at other breakfast spots.

However, the mostly pancakes menu apparently IS going to apply to the ground-floor Paragon location, because it's an open-air venue and, according to the rep I spoke with this week, the Paragon folks weren't going to allow them to fry meats and such at that location. So the broader, full IHOP menu supposedly will be forthcoming at a promised 2nd location elsewhere at Paragon some months down the road.

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Please, God, open one in Chiang Mai!!!

It will never happen , only Asian food is survivable business up there.  You need to move from that boring city . 

4 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

IHOP makes decent pancakes.  Great for you after a night out on the tiles. 

Why would you spend your night out on tiles? Personally I prefer a night out on wooden floorboards.

And you do realise by the time you finish partying your night out around 2am or 4am that the Paragon is closed as their opening hours are only from 10am to 10pm?

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why would you spend your night out on tiles? Personally I prefer a night out on wooden floorboards.

And you do realise by the time you finish partying your night out around 2am or 4am that the Paragon is closed as their opening hours are only from 10am to 10pm?

I stay out until 10:00.  

Just now, Ramen087 said:

I stay out until 10:00.  

Woah, you wild party animal!

Curious to know once you finish being a wild party animal at 10pm as to how you would manage to enter the Paragon after this time to get some pancakes as that's when Paragon closes.

The more pertinent timing issue is the earlier morning hours....

Because this IHOP location is inside Paragon with no direct exterior entrance, I'm guessing they won't be able to open before the mall opens at 10 am, and to me at least, that means they're missing out on the earlier morning breakfast time opportunity.

But I need to confirm their opening hours.  Nearby Clinton Street Bakery in Paragon has a direct exterior entrance, and they are able to open at 8 am I believe.   But I'm not sure IHOP will have that same opportunity.

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Woah, you wild party animal!

Curious to know once you finish being a wild party animal at 10pm as to how you would manage to enter the Paragon after this time to get some pancakes as that's when Paragon closes.

10:00 = Ten A.M.  22:00 = Ten P..M.

Just now, bbi1 said:

My apologies, that's acceptable then. I figured you were another one of these peeps who were tucked in their beds early.

usually I am... and I wasn't insulted in the least... many more 'ten pm in the sack' than '10 am and not having slept' these days. 

8 hours ago, Lodestone said:

Menu item?

british-food-full-english-breakfast-larg

The heart attack breakfast :)

I wonder when the "Heart Attack Grill" will open in Thailand. Could be very popular and a big money maker. I've gotta say that dude who opened it is a genius in marketing :)

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I wonder when the "Heart Attack Grill" will open in Thailand. Could be very popular and a big money maker. I've gotta say that dude who opened it is a genius in marketing :)

Didn't the founder of the "Heart Attack Grille" himself actually die of a heart attack a few years ago?

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Didn't the founder of the "Heart Attack Grille" himself actually die of a heart attack a few years ago?

Nope, the founder is Jon Basso. The unofficial spokesman who was a daily patron did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill

Gotta say, that dude understands marketing very well. Create a lot of controversies and get free media publications and the customers will fly in and spend their moolah on the junk food. No change of getting sued & someone winning a lawsuit as there are clearly warning signs everywhere telling peeps what will happen when you eat that stuff.

Edited by bbi1