Volunteering in Thailand: Places and visa situation?

I'm heading off to Thailand for 6 months and I'm thinking of doing volunteering instead. I would be volunteering in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

VISA

1. Since I don't think I'll be doing volunteering in a single place for 6 months, how does the non-immigrant O visa work? Will it be revoked every time I change volunteering place/organization?

2. If you volunteer, are your visa stamps taken care of, or do you still have to do border bounces every 2 months?

VOLUNTEERING

3. For places where you don't pay to volunteer, how common is it that your visa fees are paid for? How about accomadation or meals? 

4. If anyone would have suggestions about volunteering, or good places to volunteer at, I would be happy to know!

30 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You need to get a work permit for each volunteering job too.

Yeah, I know. I'm searching for a volunteering place where they will provide one. 

Sadly, it seems that a lot of places—like small organic farms—aren't prone to get work permits for the volunteers. 

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

and now you have removed my post altogether.

please can you explain to us how to access this thread.

and yes it is rocket science even if you are clever enough yourself

to be able to do this unaided.

You are on the topic now. It was moved which automatically directs you to the new location when you click the link to it.

Have you noticed you are posting on the topic that is now in the visas forum.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, KevT said:

VISA

1. Since I don't think I'll be doing volunteering in a single place for 6 months, how does the non-immigrant O visa work? Will it be revoked every time I change volunteering place/organization?

2. If you volunteer, are your visa stamps taken care of, or do you still have to do border bounces every 2 months?

1.If you have a non-o visa for volunteering from an embassy or consulate it would remain valid. If you were to get an extension of stay at immigration based upon on volunteering it would end if you you changed to a different organization that you were working with.

2. If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you would have to leave the country every 90 days. If on an extension of stay you would not have to leave the country.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, KevT said:

VOLUNTEERING

3. For places where you don't pay to volunteer, how common is it that your visa fees are paid for? How about accomadation or meals? 

4. If anyone would have suggestions about volunteering, or good places to volunteer at, I would be happy to know!

3. Some organizations would provide accommodation and meals.

There are many organizations that are legitimate and are registered with government  that can support your visa/extension and work permit.

But many that are not fully legitimate and registered that might only be able to support the first single entry non-o visa that would allow to only stay for 90 days without going out for a new visa. That includes getting you a work permit.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1.If you have a non-o visa for volunteering from an embassy or consulate it would remain valid. If you were to get an extension of stay at immigration based upon on volunteering it would end if you you changed to a different organization that you were working with.

2. If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you would have to leave the country every 90 days. If on an extension of stay you would not have to leave the country.

3. Some organizations would provide accommodation and meals.

There are many organizations that are legitimate and are registered with government  that can support your visa/extension and work permit.

But many that are not fully legitimate and registered that might only be able to support the first single entry non-o visa that would allow to only stay for 90 days without going out for a new visa. That includes getting you a work permit.

Thanks a lot ubonjoe. A few clarifications:

1. Ah, so even if your volunteering time at one organization ends, and the non-O visa is from an embassy  or consulate, you still have time to find a new organization? I imagine it could be a source of abuse, so there probably is a certain number of days before the visa is revoked, if you haven't yet found a new organization? And if you were to stop volunteering, you would have to leave the country and then get a tourist visa?
2. The non-immigrant O extension of stay, that would possibly be paid by the organization, would only be of 30 days, correct? After the 30-day extension, you would have no choice but to do a visa bounce.

2 minutes ago, KevT said:

Thanks a lot ubonjoe. A few clarifications:

1. Ah, so even if your volunteering time at one organization ends, and the non-O visa is from an embassy  or consulate, you still have time to find a new organization? I imagine it could be a source of abuse, so there probably is a certain number of days before the visa is revoked, if you haven't yet found a new organization? And if you were to stop volunteering, you would have to leave the country and then get a tourist visa?
2. The non-immigrant O extension of stay, that would possibly be paid by the organization, would only be of 30 days, correct? After the 30-day extension, you would have no choice but to do a visa bounce.

1. If you have a visa or an entry from one  it will remain valid until it expires. Only an extension of stay issued by immigration would end if you change organizations.

2. An extension can be for 90 days each time up to a total stay of one year or for one year dependent upon the organization you are working with. There is no 30 day extension for non immigrant visas.

why not consider an official GOVT program from your country, such as VSO, /CUSO/ Peace Corps, USA.... Administrative and Living arrangements are taken care of for you.... however, the contract length is generally two years, but the training in language and culture, will set you apart...more fun as well..