Pattaya Go-Go clubs and bars targeted in new crackdown

rooster59

If it aint broken dont fix it. People know exactly why they go to Pattaya and if families complain about it when they get there, surely they also know what they are getting?

I imagine more people who arrive in Pattaya know what its about as opposed to the ones who do not, so, on that alone, why are they trying to kill the place? There are so many other places in Thailand fro family holidays but people invent things to complain about. Why go there if you are only going to complain? Plenty of other places to enjoy a family holiday, in fact when I see families with young children walking up soi6 it makes me wander why

I first came to Thailand only 4 years ago and seemed amazing but even in the last 3 years I have noticed it to be a little less appealing

I have 14 weeks booked later this year but I think I will be looking more into Cambodia and VietNam where it seems to feel a lot laid back with ref to the law

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Easiest way to kill it all off, set up checkpoints on Walking Street and other streets with CCTV cameras trained on the entrance. Make sure that everyone entering removes glasses and hats 

....then

make the footage available online.

Most sex tourists don't want it known that they come here to pay for sex with prostitutes.

They hate being videoed in the bars in case their wives or families back home find out about it.

"Make sure that everyone entering removes glasses and hats".

They will just start and wear hijabs, That's not against the law, well here anyway.

No one will even know what sex they are until they get down to business.

4 hours ago, reallybigken said:

I don't like to be negative. This forum has plenty of that;

BUT "respectable people" ? Are you passing judgment on others you don't even know? What makes these NEW people respectable? What in your opinion of is "respectable People"?

The new flock of tourists I have seen in the last few years have been less than respectable. They now have signs in the airport explaining to these New People, in there native language, not urinating on temple walls or pooping in the street. I not sure I would consider that respectable.

and walking about the streets and shopping malls shirtless.

7 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Thank you general….soi 6 is just grossly overpriced….hope this lowers prices back to normal levels.

this is wishful thinking and inconsistent with Thai business logics: Once the market goes down you have to increase prices to get the same gross total at the end of the day as before...this goes for girls, cars, land, fruit juice, shoes, string tangas, combined harvesters and you name it

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

So in the end....30K--50K girls lose work.....not too many girls, definitely not too many men.....but the families will love it!

Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia get ready!

Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia have not any Go Go's there to raid, Cambodia has also had its own police crackdown......so I don't get your point.

a crackdown in full low season ? that's pure genius :clap2:  ....greedy police appears to have no clue about where their money comes from , same as Immigration officers bouncing back millionaires like me at the airport :whistling: .... keep shooting at your feet guys , you're doing a great job !

53 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There will always be a seedy side but it won't be on Walking Street or Soi 6 or other places in the heart of Pattaya- you will have to do to the darkside or more towards Jomtien to find it and it will be more discrete. The powers that be mean business this time and they will be in power or behind the scenes for years to come.

As far as the bar girls- they will go where the action is if it still exists- it just won't be in Pattaya.

Nothing in Jomtien mate, unless yo want to "Change Codes" and take a rent boy home lol

Yeah, but. . . 

Has anyone in Government House considered the consequences of the clumsy attempts to clean up Pattaya's tainted image?

The operation is going down like a lead balloon with sections of the international travelling public who come to Thailand precisely for the kind of laid-back welcome they are sure to find in Sin City. 

Efforts to whitewash Walking Street aren't exactly being applauded by expats who live in the town - or their cousins from the prissier provinces who flock to the city to sample its dubious delights.

The junta appears to have little regard for these "sex tourists" - even though, between them, they make a meaningful contribution toward the industry's  2.5 trillion baht contribution to the national economy.

However, more disturbing is the apparent disregard for the real victims of this latest moral crusade - the countless thousands of sex workers who will lose the means to support themselves and their families when Pattaya becomes Singapore on Sea.

No plans appear to be in pipeline to provide new jobs for massage parlous employees and bar girls, not to mention the vast numbers of ancillary staff who work in this thriving sector of the black economy.

It is the same story in other tourist havens such as Phuket where clean-up teams don't seem to worry much if babies (lots of sex workers have them) with the bathwater.

The military-led junta makes plain that it is answerable to nobody in pursuing controversial, reformist policies. With a general election at least visible over the horizon, the generals could pay a high price at the polls.

not much on the darkside either- but a smart person with a little bit of capital and some insight into the politics of the bar scene- could open a place that would make a lot of money. Timing and location of course.  Any new bar needs to have a different operating manner than the current 'dumps' in Pattaya that pretend to be bars and must have legal paperwork.

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

they will lose so many tourists the place will be like a ghost town and all the locals who rely on them for some kind of income may turn to crime which inturn will further decrease the number of tourists .

Those days are over. Chinese and Russians outnumber the mongers now and it won't make any difference to them if all the gogos and barbeers close.

However, the crime will increase, IMO. That happened when Purachai devastated Pattaya night life. It will probably happen again.

The sad thing is that it isn't going to bring in the mythical high end tourist or even families. C*** beach, terrible traffic, can't cross the road safely, broken infrastructure- there is nothing to bring them in more numbers than at present.

Anyway, the Phillipines and other countries will be happy if mongers are driven out of Pattaya.

45 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

If it aint broken dont fix it. People know exactly why they go to Pattaya and if families complain about it when they get there, surely they also know what they are getting?

I imagine more people who arrive in Pattaya know what its about as opposed to the ones who do not, so, on that alone, why are they trying to kill the place? There are so many other places in Thailand fro family holidays but people invent things to complain about. Why go there if you are only going to complain? Plenty of other places to enjoy a family holiday, in fact when I see families with young children walking up soi6 it makes me wander why

I first came to Thailand only 4 years ago and seemed amazing but even in the last 3 years I have noticed it to be a little less appealing

I have 14 weeks booked later this year but I think I will be looking more into Cambodia and VietNam where it seems to feel a lot laid back with ref to the law

You are using logic. Logic does not apply in lalaland where high end tourists flock to give over lots of money to fall into holes in the pavements, get blinded by low hanging wires, get extorted by jet ski thugs, get maimed trying to cross the road and generally have a low end experience.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Plus, the reality is the majority of Thais, although they often don't speak publicly, are embarrassed by this activity and would like to see these places closed forever.

and you know that because...............................

Most of the Thais I know don't give a monkey's about Pattaya and thousands of them go there every weekend.

Almost all the people that work and live there are Thais.

3 hours ago, WhyYouTalkMeBad said:

The jack o tar bar, the no hassle bar near the bottom of soi 6 is shuttered and a for sale sign on the door

Guess they saw this coming

LOL. Bars are always closed/ for sale in Pattaya. Absolutely nothing unusual about that, plus it's low season, when bars are usually up for sale.

However, in the new regime it would be foolish to buy one.

21 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Boo hoo. Long time  coming. The crackdown will probably prevent a few people from contracting HIV and Hepatitis and keep a few people from sexploitation.

However, the reality is that this crackdown will go away in a week or so, just like the crackdown did in Patong and in Bangkok  etc. The bars will be back in action within a few weeks.

Actually, I truly believe I am witnessing the last days of "old Thailand" and the complete extermination of Soi 6 in the near future. 

There are now 2 huge developments in the city and I am sure the big money who invested in Central and Terminal 21 will like to have this street that sits right in the middle to disappear. 

I could honestly care less for the owners or the ladies. Most of the world manages just fine to get by without prostitution. I doubt anyone would care if I lost my job and I doubt even more that posters here care about "poor families". It affects them specifically hence all the whining, complaining and the hypocritical "care".

3 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I was in the TQ a few weeks ago at 7 pm and there was only one other customer in there. Like all the Bars in Pattaya they are very quiet compared to days gone by.

I have also spent far too many hours sitting at the front of 5 Star Bar watching the world go by. Very few families going past. I mean really, whats there to do for families?  Ripley's, a bit of go karting, what else is there to do for a family? Nothing I can think of.

Its the city of sin. Take that away it becomes the city of nothing. They do seem determined to destroy it though. All those bars closing will mean hundreds of thousands of Baht not being paid to Police. Then there will be  hundreds of people soon unemployed.

I mean really, whats there to do for families?  Ripley's, a bit of go karting, what else is there to do for a family? Nothing I can think of.

Most people that go on holiday seem quite content to slug around the hotel pool- kids in and parents boozing at the bar.

Actually there is plenty for families to do, but I'm happy the reputation keeps them away.

The best solution would be to "clean up" Jomptien and promote that as the family destination and leave Pattaya alone.

Of course that won't happen due to greed and the belief that the illusory hi end tourist will come if only they can close the bars.

41 minutes ago, Penefattore said:

a crackdown in full low season ? that's pure genius :clap2:  ....greedy police appears to have no clue about where their money comes from , same as Immigration officers bouncing back millionaires like me at the airport :whistling: .... keep shooting at your feet guys , you're doing a great job !

It takes quite a lot to get "bounced back" at the airport. Moody back to back visa exempt entries etc If you're a millionaire (Even in baht) you could afford an elite visa. Obviously, you're not so you can't 

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually, I truly believe I am witnessing the last days of "old Thailand" and the complete extermination of Soi 6 in the near future. 

There are now 2 huge developments in the city and I am sure the big money who invested in Central and Terminal 21 will like to have this street that sits right in the middle to disappear. 

I could honestly care less for the owners or the ladies. Most of the world manages just fine to get by without prostitution. I doubt anyone would care if I lost my job and I doubt even more that posters here care about "poor families". It affects them specifically hence all the whining, complaining and the hypocritical "care".

Most of the world manages just fine to get by without prostitution.

:cheesy:times a million.

The world is awash with prostitution. It's just more user friendly in Thailand.

Do you not know that the THAI prostitution scene is enormous- the farang scene is small potatoes in comparison.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of the world manages just fine to get by without prostitution.

:cheesy:times a million.

The world is awash with prostitution. It's just more user friendly in Thailand.

Do you not know that the THAI prostitution scene is enormous- the farang scene is small potatoes in comparison.

Keep laughing and denying because it serves your own self interest.

I come from a poor country and later immigrated to Canada.

The amount of prostitution wasn't even close to Thailand by a long shot..... and to prove my point even you said it.

Yes, I do. It's in their "culture". I never said it will be stopped, but the streets will be cleaned up and Farangs will have harder time finding it. My guess is it will be all done online which may compromise your safety/wallet more.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you know that because...............................

Most of the Thais I know don't give a monkey's about Pattaya and thousands of them go there every weekend.

Almost all the people that work and live there are Thais.

Do you have regular contact with all configurations of the Thai community?

'... Most of the Thais I know don't give a monkey's about Pattaya and thousands of them go there every weekend. ' Really, every week-end? 

'... Most of the Thais I know don't give a monkey's about Pattaya and thousands of them go there every weekend. Are they all aiming for bars and sex venues? Or perhaps some other activity?

Wrong
They come to work as bar girls because they are lazy cows.

They send money back home because it's expected.

That's the truth.

But before they send any money home, they buy a "chic" cell phone, a motorbike, a motorbike for their Thai boyfriend. Then , whatever is left may filter it's way to family.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived