Pattaya Go-Go clubs and bars targeted in new crackdown

rooster59

Pattaya Go-Go clubs and bars targeted in new crackdown

z.jpg

Authorities in Pattaya this week launched a new crackdown on bars and go-go clubs in the resort city.

As part of the crackdown licensing officials in Pattaya have temporarily prohibited the opening of new Go-Go bars and that licenses for such establishments will not be issued for the foreseeable future - although no time frame has been determined as to how long this may be.

The crackdown also seen Pattaya’s notorious Soi 6 the subject of increased scrutiny by authorities this week with all owners informed bars are not permitted to open until 6pm.

Bar owners have been warned that failure to comply will result in fines and suspension of licenses.

“They [the authorities] told me I can not open my bar until 6pm”, one bar owner who requested not to be named told Thaivisa on Saturday.

“They told every bar the same”.

“It is already hard to make money from the bar [with so much competition] but if I can not open during the day I don’t know how I can stay [open]”, the bar owner added.

“But some bars still open in the day but some have closed and only open at 6pm”

“I don’t know why some can stay open but some have to close like us”.

Thaivisa has also learned that the crackdown is part of a wider change to the way licenses for bars and clubs are issued in the city, with the whole licensing process set to be overhauled.

The changes would mean that rather than having to revoke licenses from bars that fail to comply with licensing laws, offending bars would simply not be allowed to renew existing licenses and therefore be prevented from trading legally.

Officials are set for further discussions on proposed new licensing measures this coming week.

The new crackdown comes as officials in Pattaya continue to try and transform the seedy image of the city, which has seen it proclaimed as the ‘sex capital of the world’ by foreign media, to that of a modern, family friendly tourist resort.

The crackdown also follows an increase in the number of undercover stings used to target bars and massage parlours that are suspected of selling sexual services.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-18

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they will lose so many tourists the place will be like a ghost town and all the locals who rely on them for some kind of income may turn to crime which inturn will further decrease the number of tourists .

I would say the ones that are still open sell food and are therefore restaurants that sell drinks and not bars, expect a few hastily printed menus and a microwave.

I can understand it, but I don't understand it. Pattaya was and is and could continue to be a huge money maker for everybody.  Just call a spade a spade and let things be like they were in oh I would say 2004 or 2005.  Soi 6 was a fine place for a quiet break from the afternoon heat, as was the welcom inn a few sois over.  Why in the world are they making the place so less friendly for so many people that would go there?

38 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“I don’t know why some can stay open but some have to close like us”.

A word of advice.........Pop down to Makro......go to the staionary / office aisle........there you will find large packs of envelopes, colour..... brown.........buy a pack.......take them back to the bar........I leave the rest to your imagination, but if you get stuck I am sure there will be lots of people to advise you of the next move......:wink:

Also, you can check on who owns the bars that are allowed to open all day.........:smile:

11 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

:blink:Reads like the guy is a newbe from Switzerland who has no clue how the business works in LOS.:cheesy:

Oh, I think he well understands why some bars stay open, but it's not something you're going to say out loud now is it. Just pointing out the dichotomy is probably the most he thinks he can get away with.

34 minutes ago, keith101 said:

they will lose so many tourists the place will be like a ghost town and all the locals who rely on them for some kind of income may turn to crime which inturn will further decrease the number of tourists .

It's not far off being a ghost town already. The big question here is how are they going to regulate it and what will those regulations allow or not allow.

Having everything licensed is fine, but it defeats the object if you go too far and kill the place.

Geez ........ I hope the daytime gentlemens clubs don't get targeted ,they too offer all the same services.  How can they expect the tourist dollar will increase??? Alls that will happen is these bars will go broke by not being able to meet their rents and leases ,what will they be replaced with ????? takeaway food ? t shirts shops? computer shops ? Bit discrimatory to target only soi 6 , least the place was sectionzed to that activity .  So what soi 7 next then the boys town gay area. Gotta luv these numbwits for upstairs for thinking . Theres huge aeroplane hanger style sheds behind big C in Naclua which conduct live on stage sex shows to the japanese and chinese tourists  who arrive in busloads....every night !!!!!! 2000b a viewing one would think that sort of thing would be more damaging to Thailands image than people having few drinks following a rubdown or some thai girl girating her hips on stage. If  anything the place is becoming more unwelcoming by the day ,.as if I woud let my kids play in the run down playgrounds that have much broken equipment and glass in the grass, swim in the highly polluted sea which the mayor openly acknowledges has more than 24000 cubic meters of effluent and waste pumped into it each month !!!! and lets go drive on the absolute lawless roads ?????lets better not even go there!!

41 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Boo hoo. Long time  coming. The crackdown will probably prevent a few people from contracting HIV and Hepatitis and keep a few people from sexploitation.

However, the reality is that this crackdown will go away in a week or so, just like the crackdown did in Patong and in Bangkok  etc. The bars will be back in action within a few weeks.

28 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I can understand it, but I don't understand it. Pattaya was and is and could continue to be a huge money maker for everybody.  Just call a spade a spade and let things be like they were in oh I would say 2004 or 2005.  Soi 6 was a fine place for a quiet break from the afternoon heat, as was the welcom inn a few sois over.  Why in the world are they making the place so less friendly for so many people that would go there?

Less friendly for sex tourists, but more friendly for families and respectable people.

5 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Boo hoo. Long time  coming. The crackdown will probably prevent a few people from contracting HIV and Hepatitis and keep a few people from sexploitation.

It will just move it somewhere else, at least in the bar situation the girls are required to get regular health checks, and working in a bar the girls are less likely to be beaten up or kidnapped etc.

Shutdown everything that Pattaya has become infamous for and the place will die, the city doesn't have the natural amenities or infrastructure to appeal to family's  or high end tourists there are so many other better places and beaches.

The General and Hi-So's don't care about the small people it's only when the big players i.e. large shopping mall owners, large hotel chains in other words big money with influence start hurting and complaining that things will ease up or even go into reverse.

One possible solution would be to move the bars and go-go's further back away from the beach and tourist area to say between Third Road and Sukhumvit out of sight out of mind.

6 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

Shutdown everything that Pattaya has become infamous for and the place will die, the city doesn't have the natural amenities or infrastructure to appeal to family's  or high end tourists there are so many other better places and beaches.

The General and Hi-So's don't care about the small people it's only when the big players i.e. large shopping mall owners, large hotel chains in other words big money with influence start hurting and complaining that things will ease up or even go into reverse.

One possible solution would be to move the bars and go-go's further back away from the beach and tourist area to say between Third Road and Sukhumvit out of sight out of mind.

that makes perfect sense put soi 6 next to where they built that now working computer centre highrise shopping centre next to foodland there and move that shopping complex down to the beach location .... perfect thinking !!! Shame they wern't in thinking mode the day construction and or approval commenced!!!!  There may be hope for some sign of intelligence ...one day but I won't hold my breath!!

More terribly misguided policy from Little P. Is he a recent Christian convert? What's up? Who benefits from this "crackdown"? Nobody that I can think of.

The only consolation in all of this, is the fact that Little P. does not have the ability to concentrate, nor the ability, willingness, vision, or capacity to follow up on anything he says. That is why all of his policies last anywhere from 48 hours, to 7 days. So a week from now, you can rest assured, it will be business as usual.

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

So in the end....30K--50K girls lose work.....not too many girls, definitely not too many men.....but the families will love it!

Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia get ready!

Yeah I'm sure they'll be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of an army of sexually depraved losers cruising their streets looking to get laid.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

More terribly misguided policy from Little P. Is he a recent Christian convert? What's up? Who benefits from this "crackdown"? Nobody that I can think of.

The only consolation in all of this, is the fact that Little P. does not have the ability to concentrate, nor the ability, willingness, vision, or capacity to follow up on anything he says. That is why all of his policies last anywhere from 48 hours, to 7 days. So a week from now, you can rest assured, it will be business as usual.

Thanks for the assurance .....for a moment there I was starting to get concerned!!!!

14 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

Agreed.

56 minutes ago, connda said:

How about all the Thai oriented Karaoke bars and hostess establishments?  

What about them?

Why do you think the Western media knows so very little about the massive industry catering to the locals here? That's right - that industry is much less visible. It doesn't have whores standing outside under neon signs with placards advertising what they'll do for 500 baht.

52 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

:blink:Reads like the guy is a newbe from Switzerland who has no clue how the business works in LOS.:cheesy:

and of course as you know better, please honour your humble readers with your more detailed enlightment on how things work in LOS?:clap2::clap2::clap2:

3 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

What about them?

Why do you think the Western media knows so very little about the massive industry catering to the locals here? That's right - that industry is much less visible. It doesn't have whores standing outside under neon signs with placards advertising what they'll do for 500 baht.

No, the neon signs are replaced with flashing fairy lights. The rest is pretty much the same. 

Archived