How to get rid of unknown connected people

Aforek

16 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Yes, I have always found TOT and their engineers very helpful and efficient.

Can never understand all the negative post on here about them.

:smile:

Sorry, but its quite simply because some of us have had negative experiences.

I also upgraded my fibre to extreme fibre 100/20 and it took two weeks and three visits to get it running. The solution? They hadn't actually bothered to upgrade me at their end.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Some very informative posts in this thread, makes for good reading.

I have a question regarding 2.4 and 5 Ghz usage. The new box that TOT sold me says that it automatically switches between the two bands - how does this work in practice? Although both connections show up on my laptop, when I hover the mouse over them, only the 2.4Ghz connection actually says "connected".

I tried asking the engineer from TOT but couldn't get an answer.

Edited by nahkit
add a question

6 hours ago, nahkit said:

I have a question regarding 2.4 and 5 Ghz usage. The new box that TOT sold me says that it automatically switches between the two bands - how does this work in practice? Although both connections show up on my laptop, when I hover the mouse over them, only the 2.4Ghz connection actually says "connected".

Most WiFi devices with multi-band WiFi radios will only connect to one radio at a time (2.4 or 5GHz) even if the device and WiFi Wireless Access Point (base station) support both frequency spectrums. The WiFi device will auto-select which network to use for best quality or speed.

A Dual- or Tri-band Wireless Access Point (base station) can simultaneously support multiple device connections on either frequency. If the SSID are named the same with the same passwords then the device can auto-connect to the best network on either band. If you give the two radios different SSIDs then on the WiFi device you can manually select which SSID you want to connect and remain connected with. This can help if your device tends to lock up, get disconnected, or suffer other issues when connected to one band but not when connected to the other.

If your using Numbers, symbols, Upper and lower case  in a password it should be difficult yo crack. Having said that there are programs called "Grabbers" that can intercept and identify passwords and save them. If this is the case you need to trace them and have them prosecuted as an internet crime under Thai law. Alternatively (though inconvenient; a short holiday somewhere?) move your system somewhere out of its current range before resetting and changing the password. Finally it might mean changing to a different router.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, RichCor said:

To make these changes on the Netis,

1. connect to the Netis via Ethernet Port or WiFi
  2. Disable the Netis DHCP Server, save changes
  3. Change the Netis LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.2, save changes
  4. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Netis WAN port, and connect instead to the LAN port
  5. Power Cycle / Reboot the Netis (power OFF then ON)

When you reconnect the Desktop or Laptop you should now have direct access to both routers simultaneously

192.168.0.1 is the ZTE

192.168.0.2 is the NETIS

Didn't work :sad:

And now I'm locked out of the Netis so can't change things back to original.

Previously I could log into the Netis by moving the computer LAN cable from ZTE to Netis, this would give access to both Netis and ZTE with the 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 numbers. Now after making the changes nothing is working from the Netis WiFi nor LAN and all I get is a no network connection error.

Fortunately the ZTE is still working so can access the internet but don't know how popular I'll be when the wife comes back and the kids come home from school and there is no WiFi.  :shock1: 

:sad: :sad:

Try re-booting your PC.

Check it gets an IP address 192.168.0.xxx

Try accessing your two routers on 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

EDIT Ah, I think I see a typo in the instructions, you should have changed the Netis LAN IP Address to 192.168.0.2

You should be able to reset the Netis to defaults (button on the back?) put it back like it was originally and it should be back to square 1. And you can start all over again :smile:

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Fortunately the ZTE is still working so can access the internet but don't know how popular I'll be when the wife comes back and the kids come home from school and there is no WiFi.  :shock1: 

Technically, you should be able to access the Internet and see all the connected devices from both the ZTE and the NETIS routers.

I should have included instructions to VERIFY what subnet the ZTE was actually using (192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx), then have you use that address to configure the Netis Router.

As Crossy wrote, you can still reset the NETIS and try the configuration again (using the verified ZTE subnet range).

Alternatively, you can edit your computer's network IPv4 configuration to temporarily talk and receive on both subnets until the router configuration is complete.

Tried various combinations over several hours plug in plug out, swop LAN - WAN and restart the ZTE and NETIS and computer many time but nothing would get the NETIS to respond.

Strangely all the correct lights on the NETIS are flashing as they should but nothing is coming out from it.

I'm going to stop and let the TOT guy sort it out before digging myself any deeper.

Anyway thanks guys appreciate your assistance.

The NETIS won't respond because it's been accidentally 'islanded'.

But if connected LAN to LAN with the ZTE it should allow connected devices to get DHCP connecting info from the ZTE and connect to the Internet ...unless it's built-in DHCP server wasn't really disabled.

Also... You can connect to the NETIS router's web config it you manually configure your connecting device to have a 'peer' IP Address (same subnet). So if the NETIS has an LAN IP address of 192.168.1.2 then manually setting your laptop to 192.168.1.3 will allow it to connect and enter the web config setup.

The other option is to press the reset button on the NETIS (10~30 seconds) and you should be able to connect directly and reconfigure. 

I certainly do not want to press any reset buttons and potentially get even deeper problems  :shock1:  :shock1:

The couple of slight changes I made have given me enough, thanks.

Will wait for the TOT guy.

Edited by Daffy D

9 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I certainly do not want to press any reset buttons and potentially get even deeper problems  :shock1:  :shock1:

Chicken :smile: These things do tend to work just fine with their default settings, just don't do anything to the ZTE.

You could still try setting your PC to a fixed IP of 192.168.1.100 that should give you access to the Netis so you can set it to 192.168.0.2 before changing the PC back to DHCP.

I suspect the first thing the TOT man will do is press the reset button on the Netis :smile:

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Chicken :smile:

Yup!   That's me.

Being smart is for you young whipper snappers, though I do vaguely  remember being a smarty myself in the old days but that kinda started to fade after I started getting my pension :whistling:

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

I was told being smart is what would get you into trouble.

Exactly - Thought I was being smart and see where it got me :sad:

Anyway the TOT guys came round this afternoon. They hummed and murmured amongst themselves trying to figure why they couldn't access the NETIS  when everything looked like it should be working.

I just hovered discreetly  in the background pretending I didn't know anything about it :whistling:   

Eventually they gave up and pushed the reset button., then spent the next 10-15 minutes inputting all the relevant data to make it work. Sure glad I didn't try the reset button route :sad: 

So all is well now and everybody happy cos WiFi is running again.

"Who's on my WIFI" still doesn't detect anything coming out of the NETIS but I'm going to learn to live without that .

For now anyway :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

So all is well now and everybody happy cos WiFi is running again.

"Who's on my WIFI" still doesn't detect anything coming out of the NETIS but I'm going to learn to live without that .

For now anyway :thumbsup:

It may be you have one of the few devices that can't disable the internal router functions.

So it's back to being a 'stacked' router configuration.

I noticed a few setup videos from NETIS on YouTube, but it was for setting up the Netis as the Primary Router, no instructions for alternate configurations online or in any manuals   ...even if the cover of the retail box indicates otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I just hovered discreetly  in the background pretending I didn't know anything about it :whistling:   

I used to hide under the table when I was a kid.

But you're probably a bit big for that.

26 minutes ago, RichCor said:

It may be you have one of the few devices that can't disable the internal router functions.

Yep! That's me sometimes I'm just lucky like that

24 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I used to hide under the table when I was a kid.

But you're probably a bit big for that.

Depends on the size of the table. A coffee table might be a bit of a squeeze but a kitchen table would be OK, even now.