Getting an International Driving License

Rdrokit

I just heard that if you have a 2 year "temporary" license that you can not get an IDL. You have to wait till you get a 5 year license. Does anyone know if this is correct info? Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Irishrogue said:

I have a 10 year IDL and the one prior to that was valid for 5 years.

Always surprising what surfaces on the net.

And I am referring to what is correctly named an "International Driving Permit" (IDP) and not IDL (license).

The IDP issued by Thailand (1949 convention) is valid for one year.

My last IDPs from Germany (1968 convention) were valid for three years.

And yes (before hell breaks loose): the thread title should have read "International Driving Permit".

That is what you get from the official government departments.

Honestly until reading in the forum about these two terms used in English I was not taking much care.

• Like 1

I have a 10 year IDL. I went www.idltravel.com to get it. All that was needed to do was upload your current drivers license, your signature and a current photo (I took a selfie). It cost $59.00 and I had it Fedex'd to Thailand for an additional $53.00.  It does work, I was stopped two times with it and was waved on. No more 600 baht fine (or 500 baht if you pay the fine right now) for driving without a license.

1 hour ago, Irishrogue said:

I have a 10 year IDL and the one prior to that was valid for 5 years.

Can I ask where you acquired your International Drivers License?

If you obtain a I.D.P and want to get a Thai Licence
You have to do it within 90 days of your arrival
After 90 days its not really officially valid here after that time period
Even though it says 1 yr !

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

If you obtain a I.D.P and want to get a Thai Licence
You have to do it within 90 days of your arrival
After 90 days its not really officially valid here after that time period
Even though it says 1 yr !

Not quite, the IDP isn't valid for driving beyond 90 days but as long as it's still in date most LTO's will do the Thai licence issue against it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

A ten year IDL? I have heard it all now... 

Some people really believe they are real and valid?? - S C A M   worthless document and is not recognised by any country internationally. 

International Driving Permit or IDP as said earlier is the document laid down under the Geneva convention - Period (and it basically translates your driving validations/qualifications in several languages) and is only valid with (in conjunction with) your countries original licence

Hence the OPs question is can an IDP be obtained on a 2 year Thai licence or is it only on a long term licence...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaybott said:

I have a 10 year IDL. I went www.idltravel.com to get it. All that was needed to do was upload your current drivers license, your signature and a current photo (I took a selfie). It cost $59.00 and I had it Fedex'd to Thailand for an additional $53.00.  It does work, I was stopped two times with it and was waved on. No more 600 baht fine (or 500 baht if you pay the fine right now) for driving without a license.

40 minutes ago, Lokie said:

A ten year IDL? I have heard it all now... 

Some people really believe they are real and valid?? - S C A M   worthless document and is not recognised by any country internationally. 

International Driving Permit or IDP as said earlier is the document laid down under the Geneva convention - Period (and it basically translates your driving validations/qualifications in several languages) and is only valid with (in conjunction with) your countries original licence

Hence the OPs question is can an IDP be obtained on a 2 year Thai licence or is it only on a long term licence...?

Can't believe all the useless posts here. I will repeat my question again. CAN YOU GET A IDL WITH A TEMPORARY 2 YEAR THAI DRIVERS LICENSE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

Can't believe all the useless posts here. I will repeat my question again. CAN YOU GET A IDL WITH A TEMPORARY 2 YEAR THAI DRIVERS LICENSE.

Please don't shout and read the replies. Your question was answered in post number 2. 

You need a purple driving licence (5 year licence) not a green temporary (2 year licence) and a Non-O visa or extension of permission to stay

Thai IDP mistakenly called IDL

IMG_1029.PNG.a17863e39b3ddc8416cdbae9a504b689.PNG

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I will squiggle through the posts for you since you evidently did not click on the link from the 1st accurate post.    NO

12 hours ago, Altalake said:

One can get an IDL in Phuket - for periods of up to 10 years.

Quite painless. Look on line for details and location.

Yes, painless, illegal and useless.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

There is no such thing as an International Drivers License, only an International Drivers permit, I believe whoever issues IDP in Thailand does not issue one for a 2 year License. 

A valid License is Valid in most countries all over the world, as all those counties have signed international treaties and conventions. An IDP is a document that accompanies your valid license, primarily to provide a translation of your home license. If your license is in English then most countries do not require an IDP. 

You can take your Thai 2 year licence (printed in English) to, Australia as an example, drive around completely legally, an IDP is only required in some states in Australia if your license is not in English

• Like 1

A Valid license from any country is a Valid license in any other country, so long as both countries are signatories the the international treaties and conventions, and 99% of countries in the world are signatories.

An IDP is a document that accompanies your Valid license, to provide a translation of your license, if your license is not in english or the local language. An IDP is not a licence. 

There is no such thing as an IDL,  its is an incorrect name for an IDP.

If you have an IDP or IDL, read it, It will say in big letters, "this is not a license, this is a translation document", this document accompanies your Valid License

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jaybott said:

Here is a quote directly from the website you mention.

"An International Driver’s License is a translation of your government issued Native Driver’s License into eight languages, (English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, French, Arabic and Chinese) designed to be simple to use and easy to understand for both the English and Non-English speaker.

It is a useful advantage for motorists who are traveling overseas that are experiencing difficulties with various language barriers by showing it to the officials to help them better interpret your Native Driver’s License. IDP’s which are provided by governmental agencies and other private organizations, are authorized to issue IDP’s to consumers. The IDL has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers."

I suggest you carry your home licence in the future and look into getting a Thai licence as soon as possible as you are currently not legal using the translation document from idtravel.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I thought I was helping to clarify and assist in your quest? Oh well, at least we have cleared up the fact that there is no such thing as an IDL it is an IDP as I stated in my post and answer is no you can not get an IDP on your 2 year temp Thai licence

Tip: use the search function on TVF, it saves getting useless posts lol

• 5 months later...

I am informed that you need an IDP to hire a car in most places these days so bit the bullet and started the process.

Went to the Jomtien immigration department and got my residency certificate in 40 mins then tried to find the Chonburi Transport Department offices.  Thanks to a friendly policeman in the Banglamung station I got the directions via LINE and Google maps.

You have to travel up route 7 to where the road splits into the expressway and take the left exit on to 361.  Follow the road until the left turnoff to route 3 heading back down to Pattaya.  About a mile down the road on the left is the transport office, just before a pedestrian bridge.  This is the easiest route.  If you go all the way up route 3 you will be on the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

The required desk is on the 4th floor.  You have to get your documents checked first. They are very fussy on the size of photos.

Takes an hour or so to prepare, depending on what time of day you visit.

Fee is B505 plus B55 for any additional photos, particularly if you have renewed your passport recently and the number is different from that on your Thai licence.

• 7 months later...
On 11/21/2017 at 12:06 PM, maddermax said:

I am informed that you need an IDP to hire a car in most places these days so bit the bullet and started the process.

Went to the Jomtien immigration department and got my residency certificate in 40 mins then tried to find the Chonburi Transport Department offices.  Thanks to a friendly policeman in the Banglamung station I got the directions via LINE and Google maps.

You have to travel up route 7 to where the road splits into the expressway and take the left exit on to 361.  Follow the road until the left turnoff to route 3 heading back down to Pattaya.  About a mile down the road on the left is the transport office, just before a pedestrian bridge.  This is the easiest route.  If you go all the way up route 3 you will be on the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

The required desk is on the 4th floor.  You have to get your documents checked first. They are very fussy on the size of photos.

Takes an hour or so to prepare, depending on what time of day you visit.

Fee is B505 plus B55 for any additional photos, particularly if you have renewed your passport recently and the number is different from that on your Thai licence.

Is this the office located by the Regents International School?

• Confused 1